Federal antitrust atty taking qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Federal antitrust atty taking qs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Bumping this up since it has been a month. Anyone hear anything from the 1/28 posting? Feel like I should have heard something by now if I was going to get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:46 am

Also haven't heard a thing from the 1/28 posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 pm
Bumping this up since it has been a month. Anyone hear anything from the 1/28 posting? Feel like I should have heard something by now if I was going to get an interview.
Fellow applicant here - apparently they still haven’t begun interviewing yet. Some folks are saying they don’t expect the hiring process to finish before May/June at the earliest. They think the process might start moving now that more of the senior (political) leadership is nominated/confirmed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Good info. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 am

Wow, great to hear re: the delay in reviewing. Honestly had given up any hope considering how long ago the application period ended. Best of luck to everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm

Question about the job itself. Does it feel massively politically-influenced? I feel like antitrust investigations, when I see about them in the press, are constantly being talked about (Google in the EU, recent complaint at end of Trump's tenure against the same), but so rarely hit the big companies hard (Microsoft in the 90s aside). Curious about what that's like on the inside -- does it feel like decisions get made by the higher ups and then you never hear about something again, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:29 pm

A couple DOJ questions if anybody has answers:

1. What is the interview process and how do candidates get placed into sections? Is it a screener then a longer interview with a specific section? What kinds of questions get asked?

2. How has the reorganization impacted work. Does the civil conduct section get all the interesting litigation? Do people in civil conduct not do any merger investigation at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 am
Wow, great to hear re: the delay in reviewing. Honestly had given up any hope considering how long ago the application period ended. Best of luck to everyone.
I guess this means you're a fellow applicant who hasn't heard anything? I'm surprised it's taking them this long--or maybe we both just aren't competitive candidates :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Without going into much detail, they started interviewing last week, and I understand the first round is likely to last for 1-3 weeks. Don't know much beyond that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 pm
Without going into much detail, they started interviewing last week, and I understand the first round is likely to last for 1-3 weeks. Don't know much beyond that.
That's disappointing. Wonder what it takes to get an interview...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:18 am

Disappointing to hear. Tough to imagine what is setting midlevel/senior associates apart. Maybe you just need a former DOJ attorney at your firm to make a call of support or have interned at the office in law school or something.

Maybe all of these special bonuses that have come around since the application window will convince some people to stay at their firms. Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm

I heard the criminal sections have started interviewing. Would love to hear if anyone has interviewed or gotten an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Does anyone know if they will interview all of their candidates before making offers, if they are filling multiple positions? Or are rolling offers made?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am

FTC has finally lifted its hiring freeze and accepting applications for all divisions besides Health Care and ACP. Make sure to note that you're applying to all divisions in your cover letter (if you're interested in all or indifferent). I would also start working connections if you can. You will still need to apply through USAJobs regardless, but send your materials to attorneys in the division who can look out for your application. The agency is pretty slammed right now, so a good time to join if you're looking for a lot of substantive experience.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/598671200

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm
Question about the job itself. Does it feel massively politically-influenced? I feel like antitrust investigations, when I see about them in the press, are constantly being talked about (Google in the EU, recent complaint at end of Trump's tenure against the same), but so rarely hit the big companies hard (Microsoft in the 90s aside). Curious about what that's like on the inside -- does it feel like decisions get made by the higher ups and then you never hear about something again, etc.?
It doesn't feel massively political at the FTC. Priorities change with the composition of the Commission, but staff recommendations on an investigation really don't. The Commission can accept or reject a recommendation, but Commissioners do not tell staff what the recommendation should be. I feel like the investigations are mercifully devoid of political interference and there's a lot of transparency within the agency as decisions are made.

One final note: I get that Big Tech is getting a lot of attention right now, but I strongly urge burgeoning antitrust lawyers and people wanting to make the switch to government not to hyperfixate on Big Tech. There is plenty of great enforcement work to be done outside of Big Tech that is equally challenging and consequential.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
It doesn't feel massively political at the FTC. Priorities change with the composition of the Commission, but staff recommendations on an investigation really don't. The Commission can accept or reject a recommendation, but Commissioners do not tell staff what the recommendation should be. I feel like the investigations are mercifully devoid of political interference and there's a lot of transparency within the agency as decisions are made.

One final note: I get that Big Tech is getting a lot of attention right now, but I strongly urge burgeoning antitrust lawyers and people wanting to make the switch to government not to hyperfixate on Big Tech. There is plenty of great enforcement work to be done outside of Big Tech that is equally challenging and consequential.
Thanks for chiming in. I completely understand the substantive reasons not to fixate on tech, but instrumentally do you think highlighting tech experience and expressing an interest in that line of work is a bad look on an application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for chiming in. I completely understand the substantive reasons not to fixate on tech, but instrumentally do you think highlighting tech experience and expressing an interest in that line of work is a bad look on an application?
Not a bad look. But be mindful that divisions other than Technology Enforcement are hiring. If you over emphasize your tech interest, you risk not seeming like an interested candidate for other divisions. If you're not interested in other divisions, then fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Anybody have insight into the hiring timeline for the FTC posting that just closed and/or the approximate number of positions they're filling?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Did you do well in your antitrust course? Would you say the grade you get in that class is predictive of your success as an antitrust attorney?

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Wed May 05, 2021 6:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:

This is great advice. Totally agree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 12:52 pm

Any updates from people who applied in late Jan?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 3:22 pm

I interviewed for a spot in DC but haven’t heard anything in over a month so not feeling great about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm
Did you do well in your antitrust course? Would you say the grade you get in that class is predictive of your success as an antitrust attorney?
OP here. I did do well in my antitrust class, but I do not place any emphasis on the grade on that one course when I am considering lateral candidates. In my experience, there are people with good grades who are not great lawyers, and there are people with not so great grades who are excellent lawyers. (I will say, I haven't had the best experience with people with bad overall grades.) Grades reflect how well people do on exams. They aren't totally worthless as apart of an overall evaluation of candidates, but they become increasingly less informative when a candidate has actual job experience. The longer someone has been working, the less emphasis I place on grades. And I haven't ever looked at a lateral applicant's specific grade in antitrust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:51 pm
OP here. I did do well in my antitrust class, but I do not place any emphasis on the grade on that one course when I am considering lateral candidates. In my experience, there are people with good grades who are not great lawyers, and there are people with not so great grades who are excellent lawyers. (I will say, I haven't had the best experience with people with bad overall grades.) Grades reflect how well people do on exams. They aren't totally worthless as apart of an overall evaluation of candidates, but they become increasingly less informative when a candidate has actual job experience. The longer someone has been working, the less emphasis I place on grades. And I haven't ever looked at a lateral applicant's specific grade in antitrust.
this is really helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am

Anyone hear more from either DOJ or FTC re: job postings?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”