Prediction: When will NYC lawyers return to the office? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Prediction: When will NYC lawyers return to the office?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:02 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:21 pm
Has anyone been crazy enough to order dinner to their home at the firm's expense? There are plenty of nights where I can't break to make dinner. Wish they would give us one meal a week for those extra-awful days.
No. This would definitely not be allowed at firms I've worked at (all NYC Big Law).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am

My firm V10, allows you to order meals from home and I have numerous times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 am

lookatriffraffplease wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:54 pm
My firm offered up the ability to volunteer to return to office starting at end of month. I volunteered. Sick of being home all the time.
what city do you live in? if a big one, you are a strikebreaker of sorts
NYC, so I guess a strikebreaker (though this is the first I am hearing of a strike, so my apologies for that). But personally, given how cases in NYC have dropped to negligible numbers now, and the proliferation of face masks in subways, I think it's pretty safe to move around. I'll take the necessary precautions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:40 am

And they'll stay negligible until people start moving around again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am
Cravath does not and it has been a source of associate grumbling since, if anything, it’s harder to feed yourself when you’re busy during work from home than it is while at the office (where we have an excellent cafeteria)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am
Cravath does not and it has been a source of associate grumbling since, if anything, it’s harder to feed yourself when you’re busy during work from home than it is while at the office (where we have an excellent cafeteria)
Same with Goodwin--no expensing meals for now. It's hard to make the time to cook full meals when you're cleaning, organizing, working, walking the dog, all while only making one grocery trip per month. I can only make so many slow cooker recipes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 am

My firm allows meals ordered to the home.

ConfusedNYer

New

Post by ConfusedNYer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 am

I'm surprised any firms are allowing seamlessing to home during WFH. My understanding is there are tax implications for how food is expensed (to office v. to home) which results in fewer firms allowing the later.

SophieLaw

New

Post by SophieLaw » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm

For those of us that still have apartments in the city with leases expiring in the fall, are you planning to renew your lease?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 pm

SophieLaw wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm
For those of us that still have apartments in the city with leases expiring in the fall, are you planning to renew your lease?
Nope. When my lease ends I'm moving out of NYC. It's going to get worse here again in the winter as this thing rolls back and forth across the country. And with firms being generous about WFH, makes more sense than ever.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 pm
SophieLaw wrote:
Nope. When my lease ends I'm moving out of NYC. It's going to get worse here again in the winter as this thing rolls back and forth across the country. And with firms being generous about WFH, makes more sense than ever.

Yeah, I regret renewing this spring. Just wasn't ready to commit to a move in April when so much was unknown. I'm convinced now that we aren't going back until there's a vaccine, and that's most likely going to be spring 2021 at the earliest.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Has anybody heard from firm leadership that they feel there has been a significant drop in productivity since WFH, and that (the firm believes) this can be at least partially ameliorated by returning to the office?

To be clear, my firm has not said this. In fact it’s said the opposite. I guess I’m broadly wondering about the degree to which this is going to change the biglaw landscape. It feels like my firm is finally recognizing that substantial WFH can be just as profitable, so they’re in no rush to have us back.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Not in biglaw, but I know two attorneys whose employers have decided to close their offices and have everyone wfh in future. (Local government, I think.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:40 pm
Has anybody heard from firm leadership that they feel there has been a significant drop in productivity since WFH, and that (the firm believes) this can be at least partially ameliorated by returning to the office?

To be clear, my firm has not said this. In fact it’s said the opposite. I guess I’m broadly wondering about the degree to which this is going to change the biglaw landscape. It feels like my firm is finally recognizing that substantial WFH can be just as profitable, so they’re in no rush to have us back.
No longer in biglaw but at a lit boutique. Associate billable hours are significantly up. The firm has recognized wfh is actually way more profitable especially because we can downsize our physical footprint. The only people complaining are partners with young kids who can’t escape them.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:40 pm

I doubt it. The law profession is already notorious for a lack of work-life balance and I feel like working from home has made it worse because there is no clear distinction anymore that at least separates the two. Especially type A personalities who will feel compelled to respond to an email without letting too much time pass. I've actually had to put specific personal rules in place internally now so as not to really respond to things that require me to review documents after like 730pm (unless it sounds urgent). Disclaimer: I'm not at a lawfirm, but this time would be hell and this option wouldn't be realistic if I were. Also what I've noticed is that people are working earlier now too, and I wake up to way more emails than I did back when people commuted.

Idontwanttomakeaname

New

Post by Idontwanttomakeaname » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:59 am

Lesion of Doom wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
SophieLaw wrote:

Yeah, I regret renewing this spring. Just wasn't ready to commit to a move in April when so much was unknown. I'm convinced now that we aren't going back until there's a vaccine, and that's most likely going to be spring 2021 at the earliest.
It would be helpful they could give more guidance on when they expect wfh to end though. My lease expires end of September and I’m strongly considering not renewing which will probably be a financial mistake (not to mention a huge pain in the ass) if we are back at any point in 2020. How are people navigating the uncertainty?

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Idontwanttomakeaname wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:59 am
Lesion of Doom wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
SophieLaw wrote:

It would be helpful they could give more guidance on when they expect wfh to end though. My lease expires end of September and I’m strongly considering not renewing which will probably be a financial mistake (not to mention a huge pain in the ass) if we are back at any point in 2020. How are people navigating the uncertainty?
I don't see the scenario where it costs you MORE to get out of NYC. Are you just worried about moving costs? The rent savings alone should dwarf that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 pm

cisscum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:39 pm
I don't see the scenario where it costs you MORE to get out of NYC. Are you just worried about moving costs? The rent savings alone should dwarf that.
You don't want to get stuck in a lease in Jersey or whatever if you end up having to return to the office in 3 months anyway.

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:47 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 pm
cisscum wrote:
You don't want to get stuck in a lease in Jersey or whatever if you end up having to return to the office in 3 months anyway.
Well yeah I would only sign short term leases (or even better do Airbnb). What's the point of leaving NYC if you're going to move to shithole new Jersey? There are beautiful places to live in the rest of the country that are cheap even on Airbnb (especially given covid).

Idontwanttomakeaname

New

Post by Idontwanttomakeaname » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 pm

cisscum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:47 pm
cisscum wrote:
Well yeah I would only sign short term leases (or even better do Airbnb). What's the point of leaving NYC if you're going to move to shithole new Jersey? There are beautiful places to live in the rest of the country that are cheap even on Airbnb (especially given covid).
The scenario I’m worried about is I end my lease (ending 9/30) -> my office opens back up at some point between September and December -> I need to get a new apt right away and pay brokers fee + movers without actually getting any rent savings and incurring the huge pain in the ass of moving. I’d be staying with my parents in the meantime (I’m already living with them and still paying rent). I guess the issue is that it only makes sense to pull up roots if we aren't going to be back until 2021 but nobody has any idea what’s happening now which makes it really hard to make any plans.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 pm
cisscum wrote:
cisscum wrote:
The scenario I’m worried about is I end my lease (ending 9/30) -> my office opens back up at some point between September and December -> I need to get a new apt right away and pay brokers fee + movers without actually getting any rent savings and incurring the huge pain in the ass of moving. I’d be staying with my parents in the meantime (I’m already living with them and still paying rent). I guess the issue is that it only makes sense to pull up roots if we aren't going to be back until 2021 but nobody has any idea what’s happening now which makes it really hard to make any plans.
Even if your office opens back up, would attendance actually be mandatory? I really can't see a scenario where a law firm forces everyone back into the office in 2020. I could see voluntary office attendance, but mandatory seems like a disaster waiting to happen (and a huge liability).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 pm
cisscum wrote:
cisscum wrote:
I thought brokers fees were prohibited in NYC now? In any case, if mandatory attendance ever returns, law firms are slow movers. You'll know we'll in advance, it's not going to happen overnight. I wouldn't renew.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm

FWIW, my NYC-based V15 told us last week to prepare to continue WFH through the end of the year.

SophieLaw

New

Post by SophieLaw » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm
FWIW, my NYC-based V15 told us last week to prepare to continue WFH through the end of the year.
I wish more firms were giving us this information. Please consider sending a tip to ATL so that other firms will start to feel the pressure to provide certainty to their associates.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 pm

SophieLaw wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm
Please consider sending a tip to ATL so that other firms will start to feel the pressure to provide certainty to their associates.
Lol, getting their cage rattled by ATL is near the bottom of the list of considerations for firms planning when to phase out of WFH

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”