Stealth Layoff Tracker (COVID-19 2020) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wearthewildthingsr

New

Stealth Layoff Tracker (COVID-19 2020)

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Can we have a thread dedicated to outing firms that are conducting stealth layoffs? Might seem a bit redundant to some other threads but I think it's helpful to have a place where those firms are specifically outed. I think stealth layoffs, for a variety of reasons, are worse than your run of the mill layoffs and so firms that do that deserve some extra attention/scorn.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri May 08, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

bbsexclusively

New

Re: Stealth Layoff Tracker (COVID-19 2020)

Post by bbsexclusively » Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Goodwin Procter (V37) according to another thread.
More details?
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri May 08, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbsexclusively

New

Post by bbsexclusively » Tue May 05, 2020 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=175

This is all anyone knows rn. I, too, would like more details. Hopefully a GP associate can chime in.
They've already laid off 50 supporting staff according to ATL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Shearman has fired all the associates who didn't receive the H-1B visa (relocation was apparently promised as part of the offer before start). Associates under the same situations from previous years all received overseas office relocation. Not stealth layoff per se, but a lot of firms are using this as a pretext for the much needed attrition.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 06, 2020 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Shearman has fired all the associates who didn't receive the H-1B visa (relocation was apparently promised as part of the offer before start). Associates under the same situations from previous years all received overseas office relocation. Not stealth layoff per se, but a lot of firms are using this as a pretext for the much needed attrition.
I'm an international student. As far as I know, they can work for at least one year using the OPT, even if they didn't get the work visa. It's just not a good reason. Shame.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Shearman has fired all the associates who didn't receive the H-1B visa (relocation was apparently promised as part of the offer before start). Associates under the same situations from previous years all received overseas office relocation. Not stealth layoff per se, but a lot of firms are using this as a pretext for the much needed attrition.
I'm an international student. As far as I know, they can work for at least one year using the OPT, even if they didn't get the work visa. It's just not a good reason. Shame.
If they’re associates, that means they’ve already been working under OPT since they graduated in 2019. Sounds like these associates then lost out on the H1B lottery two years in a row.

Sucks that they’re not relocating such associates to other offices, but during these times where immigration is especially in the administration’s crosshairs, relocating someone would be difficult and paycuts/layoffs are becoming more common, this seems like a group who would unfortunately get cut first.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 am

Associates who "didn't" or who "haven't" received the H-1B visa?

This is important, because Shearman, like many other biglaw firms, hires plenty of foreign nationals hoping to work long-term in the United States. I think, every year, one or two has his visa denied; many others are waiting. So were the one or two fired, or were all foreign nationals still waiting on their visas fired?

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Wed May 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Associates who "didn't" or who "haven't" received the H-1B visa?

This is important, because Shearman, like many other biglaw firms, hires plenty of foreign nationals hoping to work long-term in the United States. I think, every year, one or two has his visa denied; many others are waiting. So were the one or two fired, or were all foreign nationals still waiting on their visas fired?
I think all H1B lottery results for this year have been announced at this point.

gasfard

New

Post by gasfard » Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 pm

strawberrieee wrote: I think all H1B lottery results for this year have been announced at this point.
Yes this is true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

This is all anyone knows rn. I, too, would like more details. Hopefully a GP associate can chime in.
GP associate who got stealthed checking in. Happy to answer any questions about my experience so long as I can remain anonymous (for obvious reasons).

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

GP associate who got stealthed checking in. Happy to answer any questions about my experience so long as I can remain anonymous (for obvious reasons).
Thank you for doing this! Were there any signs that this would happen, and if so, what were they, and what year (without getting too specific) were you?

bbsexclusively

New

Post by bbsexclusively » Fri May 08, 2020 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Damn. As far as I know they did pretty well last year. Just don't understand why they are doing this. Some other peer firms handle this by cutting salaries.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri May 08, 2020 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Any of the normal details would be good: scale/scope, groups, class years, how hard has GP worked to make it seem performance related (eg sudden mid year reviews, etc.), what’s the mood internally, anything else related.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 11:52 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Any of the normal details would be good: scale/scope, groups, class years, how hard has GP worked to make it seem performance related (eg sudden mid year reviews, etc.), what’s the mood internally, anything else related.
+1. Am an incoming SA here so would be grateful for as much as you're willing to share. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you're able to recover.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

+1. Am an incoming SA here so would be grateful for as much as you're willing to share. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you're able to recover.
I know a couple people at one of the major offices. Sounds like lit and life sciences are a couple of the groups of being hit as hard.

Can anon stealthed associate confirm?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Is it really as bad as people are saying? There hasn’t been anything on ATL and I assumed someone would’ve said something by now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 4:08 pm

esther0123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Thank you for doing this! Were there any signs that this would happen, and if so, what were they, and what year (without getting too specific) were you?
I got held back a class year in January at my annual review for very vague "performance" reasons, which caught me completely off guard. Before my review, I had received consistently positive performance reviews (both formally and informally) and thought I had built a good rapport with people in my group. Billables were never a problem - even after my annual review I was still being assigned to new deals and my hours never dropped until I got stealthed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 4:15 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

At least in my experience, they made the stealth feel very personal (presumably so I wouldn't talk). I have good relationships with a few other associates who confided in me that they were stealthed, but I really don't know who beyond my inner circle was affected. I know people who were affected in each of Boston, NY, and SF and across the board class year wise (i.e., very junior to more senior).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 4:19 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

I know a couple people at one of the major offices. Sounds like lit and life sciences are a couple of the groups of being hit as hard.

Can anon stealthed associate confirm?
I have heard of stealths happening in a few of the corporate groups, which makes sense given that Covid could significantly impact deal flow this year. Don't know anything about lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 pm

2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Is it really as bad as people are saying? There hasn’t been anything on ATL and I assumed someone would’ve said something by now.
Personally, I don't feel comfortable leaking to ATL. I am assuming they would require me to verify my identity in some way and that's a non-starter for me (even if they promise to keep my identity a secret). I do feel strongly about getting my experience out there (be it on message boards or otherwise) - so long as I can do it anonymously.

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
esther0123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

I got held back a class year in January at my annual review for very vague "performance" reasons, which caught me completely off guard. Before my review, I had received consistently positive performance reviews (both formally and informally) and thought I had built a good rapport with people in my group. Billables were never a problem - even after my annual review I was still being assigned to new deals and my hours never dropped until I got stealthed.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like you've had multiple years worth of reviews, not just one. Would it be fair to assume you're somewhere in the mid-level to senior range?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm

esther0123 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
esther0123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like you've had multiple years worth of reviews, not just one. Would it be fair to assume you're somewhere in the mid-level to senior range?
That's correct - I'm between a 3rd and a 6th year.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 pm
2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
More details?

Personally, I don't feel comfortable leaking to ATL. I am assuming they would require me to verify my identity in some way and that's a non-starter for me (even if they promise to keep my identity a secret). I do feel strongly about getting my experience out there (be it on message boards or otherwise) - so long as I can do it anonymously.
As I understand it, they won't "verify" anything. Just give them a throwaway email--it's better that they have the info so they can compile and have something to reference when they ask firm management what's going on. If they for whatever reason *did* ask you to verify your identity, you could always refuse anything that might out you.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon May 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Also, if Goodwin is in fact laying off an impressive number of associates, they won't be able to figure out that it was you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 15, 2020 9:31 am

Reed Smith has quietly and abruptly laid off some associates in several US offices.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”