Stealth Layoff Tracker (COVID-19 2020) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
addie1412

Silver

Re: Stealth Layoff Tracker (COVID-19 2020)

Post by addie1412 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Wearthewildthingsr wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 am
Obviously all these questions re: further details is from some overly neurotic first or second year who have themselves received some sort of "talk" and are now trying to read tea leaves from other people's experiences as to whether they too are being counseled out or if they could rationalize that it was just some sort of helpful mentoring talk.

Listen, dude, you're on the firing line. You got a bad talk. Go look for another job. Stop annoying others.h
Pretty sure this person also posted on reddit. I think a partner told them that it wasn't working out but then they continued getting new work from other partners so they were hoping the firm had changed its mind or something. All the commenters basically said no, they're not changing their mind, so I guess the person came here looking for ways to distinguish their situation from others who have been stealthed/laid off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm

A friend of a friend at Paul Hastings NY said a significant number of second and/or third years were getting pushed out. I did not talk to this person myself so I do not have any additional information or even confirmation, but since I had not seen this mentioned in the thread, I figured I would share it.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm

Curious but is the lateral market for firms in NYC pretty much dead, aside from let's say restructuring? Was planning on moving firms pre-COVID but then all this SHTF and well, I have no clue what's happening now.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm
Curious but is the lateral market for firms in NYC pretty much dead, aside from let's say restructuring? Was planning on moving firms pre-COVID but then all this SHTF and well, I have no clue what's happening now.
I’ve seen recruiters posting on LinkedIn for Labor & Employment, Fund Formation, and IP, so I think those areas are still hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm
A friend of a friend at Paul Hastings NY said a significant number of second and/or third years were getting pushed out. I did not talk to this person myself so I do not have any additional information or even confirmation, but since I had not seen this mentioned in the thread, I figured I would share it.
Can confirm. Not just NYC focused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:31 pm

2013 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm
I’ve seen recruiters posting on LinkedIn for Labor & Employment, Fund Formation, and IP, so I think those areas are still hiring.
Interested in fund formation - do you mind sharing which recruiter this was with on LinkedIn? Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Can confirm. Not just NYC focused.
former PH person who was pushed out here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 pm

A partner said that he “wanted to have a talk.” Is it going to happen? I can’t think of any other reason besides that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 pm
A partner said that he “wanted to have a talk.” Is it going to happen? I can’t think of any other reason besides that.
Feel like a little bit more detail is needed. Hours/pace? Are you going into the office frequently? Do you get along with your partners and other associates? Have you received criticism (not constructively) about your work product?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Well he didn’t tell me the reason. He just said “wanted a talk.” I got along with colleagues pretty well. Hours are not good this year. But that’s not just me. The whole practice group is slow. My firm never stealthed anyone before, not to my knowledge, so I’m quite surprised/worried.

Feel like a little bit more detail is needed. Hours/pace? Are you going into the office frequently? Do you get along with your partners and other associates? Have you received criticism (not constructively) about your work product?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:27 pm

My only concern is the hours. I doubt anyone in my group can meet the target given the slow market this year. Haven’t heard of anyone being let go at my firm because their hours, which a junior associate has no control over. But anything could happen. I’m preparing for the worst.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”