Big 4 Salary Expectations w/ JD and LLM in Taxation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Big 4 Salary Expectations w/ JD and LLM in Taxation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 pm
They must’ve raised the hours expectations since I worked at PwC. When I was there, expected utilization was 82.5%, which is like 1650 hours. I got a 2 without hitting that.
Hours at KPMG are down in M&A. It was 1650 for associates and seniors when i started, its now 1500.

To the other user about scheduling, absolutely not as shitty as biglaw, but also not a 9-6 type thing.

hulunetflix

New

Post by hulunetflix » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 pm
They must’ve raised the hours expectations since I worked at PwC. When I was there, expected utilization was 82.5%, which is like 1650 hours. I got a 2 without hitting that.
Hours at KPMG are down in M&A. It was 1650 for associates and seniors when i started, its now 1500.

To the other user about scheduling, absolutely not as shitty as biglaw, but also not a 9-6 type thing.
Anon, do you mind private messaging me? Want to ask you a few questions. Thanks a ton!

dcshawd

New

Post by dcshawd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Hey all! I just got an offer from a Big4 for the Tax Associate JD/LLM position in M&A in NYC for next year. My offer was just under 6 figures. I was wondering if this is the norm? My current job as an attorney my starting salary = 100k. I was expecting somewhere at least in the low six figures for this particular offer. Any thoughts on whether I should try to negotiate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm

dcshawd wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 pm
Hey all! I just got an offer from a Big4 for the Tax Associate JD/LLM position in M&A in NYC for next year. My offer was just under 6 figures. I was wondering if this is the norm? My current job as an attorney my starting salary = 100k. I was expecting somewhere at least in the low six figures for this particular offer. Any thoughts on whether I should try to negotiate?
This seems low, especially for NYC. Considering you spent time + money on a tax LLM degree, I would want some boost in pay to jump ship to an accounting firm.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm

That's really low by historic standards.

That said, I know someone that got offered 105k to be a senior with 1 year experience to go to NYC EY Int Tax.

Non-zero chance they are trying to pick people up for cheap now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm
dcshawd wrote:
This seems low, especially for NYC. Considering you spent time + money on a tax LLM degree, I would want some boost in pay to jump ship to an accounting firm.

I actually only have a JD and am barred and have some M&A experience, but not the LLM. Does this make a difference? This is my first encounter with anything related to Big4 so I’m just trying to make sure not getting low-balled.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 pm

No LLM in tax makes a significant difference.

As an aside: I'll bet that the Big4 is PwC.

If you are taking a pay cut from your previous position, then you should try to negotiate. Are you receiving a signing bonus ? One approach might be to ask for a $5,000 signing bonus for passing the bar (even though it may have been several months to a year ago & while working elsewhere).

Experience as an attorney--even if in M&A--isn't worth much to an accounting firm for M&A tax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 pm
No LLM in tax makes a significant difference.

As an aside: I'll bet that the Big4 is PwC.

If you are taking a pay cut from your previous position, then you should try to negotiate. Are you receiving a signing bonus ? One approach might be to ask for a $5,000 signing bonus for passing the bar (even though it may have been several months to a year ago & while working elsewhere).

Experience as an attorney--even if in M&A--isn't worth much to an accounting firm for M&A tax.
Oh okay got it. Nope they mentioned no bonus at all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm
dcshawd wrote:

I actually only have a JD and am barred and have some M&A experience, but not the LLM. Does this make a difference? This is my first encounter with anything related to Big4 so I’m just trying to make sure not getting low-balled.
My big4, last year, was paying $125,000 + $10,000 LLM bonus for first year LLM associates and $100,000 for first year JD-only associates. The LLM makes a substantial difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 pm

dcshawd wrote:
JD/LLM here, just got an offer from Grant Thornton (I know this is a big 4 thread, sorry) for 85k in NYC. I was expecting higher after speaking to people. I know it's not big4, but doesn't this still seem low? LLM is from top 3 school. I'm going to try to negotiate, any advice on that is welcomed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 pm
dcshawd wrote:
JD/LLM here, just got an offer from Grant Thornton (I know this is a big 4 thread, sorry) for 85k in NYC. I was expecting higher after speaking to people. I know it's not big4, but doesn't this still seem low? LLM is from top 3 school. I'm going to try to negotiate, any advice on that is welcomed.
That seems low to me. Granted, I worked for a Big 4 firm. But, I know that there were people with just their JDs that made more than that in my office with relatively little experience.

Is this for SALT or for federal taxes? Those groups tend to pay the least, so then it would at least make more sense. If M&A or International, I would definitely look elsewhere because that is very low for those two groups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 pm
dcshawd wrote:
That seems low to me. Granted, I worked for a Big 4 firm. But, I know that there were people with just their JDs that made more than that in my office with relatively little experience.

Is this for SALT or for federal taxes? Those groups tend to pay the least, so then it would at least make more sense. If M&A or International, I would definitely look elsewhere because that is very low for those two groups.
Hired as a general tax associate, was told I could go into M&A or International tax group. I personally want to focus on M&A so everyone I met with was M&A. Yeah, glad to know I'm not crazy in thinking this is very low. Upset because I really do like the firm, but can't accept that pay right now. It seemed to me like this was their JD salary which is why I was really taken aback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Was recently offered about 80k at a Big 4, NYC, JD only, tax specialty group (not M&A or ITS). Does this seem reasonable?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Was recently offered about 80k at a Big 4, NYC, JD only, tax specialty group (not M&A or ITS). Does this seem reasonable?
I have a friend in SALT and she’s also in NYC. She gets about 80k. So, it could be the norm for that specialty.

Radar94

New

Post by Radar94 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm

dcshawd wrote:
Yes, I also got an M&A job in NYC for next fall with the Big4 and my base salary was 124K with a 15k signing bonus. You are getting screwed.

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Radar94 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm
dcshawd wrote:
Yes, I also got an M&A job in NYC for next fall with the Big4 and my base salary was 124K with a 15k signing bonus. You are getting screwed.
Do you know salary with no llm, but cpa? I have big 4 audit experience and cpa and accounting masters prior to law school, but am only doing jd. Anyone have insight on whether they will offer the llm salary to me?

Radar94

New

Post by Radar94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 am

alhookem2020 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:45 pm
Radar94 wrote:
dcshawd wrote:
Do you know salary with no llm, but cpa? I have big 4 audit experience and cpa and accounting masters prior to law school, but am only doing jd. Anyone have insight on whether they will offer the llm salary to me?
I don't know exactly, but from what I understand CPAs make about 30% less than JD/LLM, so I would guess a JD/CPA would be somewhere between.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dcshawd

New

Post by dcshawd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Radar94 wrote:
dcshawd wrote:
really! are you a JD+LLM? or just JD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 pm

dcshawd wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm
Radar94 wrote:
dcshawd wrote:
really! are you a JD+LLM? or just JD?
JD/LLM from one of the T4 LLM programs

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am

Washington National Tax office starting salary offers ?

BPTHEROCK

New

Post by BPTHEROCK » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm
I have a friend in SALT and she’s also in NYC. She gets about 80k. So, it could be the norm for that specialty.
This seems incredibly low, or maybe I just got lucky given my accounting background.

I just got an offer doing SALT from an accounting firm just outside the Big4 in a small market for 85k+5k signing bonus. Using a basic COL adjustment, that comes out to 187k in New York.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am

I've seen offers at 150k and 140k for senior, plus signing. Dont get lowballed, markets hot this year

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am
I've seen offers at 150k and 140k for senior, plus signing. Dont get lowballed, markets hot this year
Office location ?

Amount of signing bonus offered ?

Which Big 4 ?

Thanks !

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Holy smokes this is a big jump compared to past years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What service line/location? I'm assuming this is NYC/DC M&A or NTS?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”