Returning to a law firm during COVID Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Would You Choose?

Stay in-house
48%
Lateral to the boutique
30%
Try to go back to biglaw
21%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Returning to a law firm during COVID

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Here's my current dilemma and I'm looking for some thoughts.

I'm 7-8 years out of law school. Clerked and spent time in biglaw, but 2 years ago moved in-house in a litigation role. The in-house job is very stable, including in the current COVID climate. I'm doing well there, but don't enjoy the work and have limited upward mobility.

I'm currently being recruited for a boutique firm in my city that has an excellent reputation. I'm understandably wary about making a move during COVID, but from what I've seen, the firm is in fairly strong financial shape. I'll be up for partner at the firm in 3/3.5 years, and about 50% of associates at the firm ultimately make partner.

I've also been in more casual discussions to return to my former biglaw firm, but that's a more long-term option, more like a year from now. I'd take a multiple year class hit and would return to working for partners I like, but with pretty brutal hours. The job isn't a guarantee and there's a decent chance that I wind up having to stay in-house.

So given these options, curious what TLS thinks is the best decision.

- Stay in-house and enjoy the job security. Pay is about $175k all-in in a secondary, somewhat high-cost market. Hours are great, but the work isn't particularly enjoyable, and I have limited upward mobility. Would be up for a promotion in about 2 years, but would continue doing work I don't particularly enjoy.
- Go to the boutique despite the current climate. Pay is roughly $210k plus bonus, so about $250k all-in. Seemingly solid chance of making partner. Hours worse than in-house, but better than biglaw. Firm does most of its work in my desired practice.
- Hold out to go back to biglaw. Pay would be higher, around $350k all-in, and would be in my preferred practice, but hours would be worse and limited opportunities to make partner/counsel. Would likely be just a stop-over rather than a place to make a career.

I'm leaning toward the boutique, but welcome any thoughts. Thanks!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Returning to a law firm during COVID

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 pm

Is the boutique doing well right now? Couldn't you go to the boutique later this year or next year still?

It seems like long-term you'd be happiest at the boutique or in big law since you don't enjoy the work in-house. But right now in the short-term, if your company is a stable one that hasn't been affected by COVID-19 much, that seems safest.

If your company has been affected and might do layoffs/furloughs soon, go with the boutique or big law sooner then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:38 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Is the boutique doing well right now? Couldn't you go to the boutique later this year or next year still?

It seems like long-term you'd be happiest at the boutique or in big law since you don't enjoy the work in-house. But right now in the short-term, if your company is a stable one that hasn't been affected by COVID-19 much, that seems safest.

If your company has been affected and might do layoffs/furloughs soon, go with the boutique or big law sooner then.
OP here. Boutique seems to be doing well. No furloughs or salary cuts and. But can't say with certainty how safe it is, especially compared to my current job. To your second question, the boutique doesn't hire very many associates - it has a 2:1 partner:associate ratio - and often hires mid-levels rather than seniors, so I don't think I can necessarily wait.

trusk13

New

Post by trusk13 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:39 pm

From what you write, it would seem you should cross biglaw off the list. Unless your primary motivation is money. Is it? Were I you, the first question I would ask myself would be why I left biglaw / private practice in the first place to move in-house? Was it for the perceived lifestyle? Career prospects? Simply couldn´t stand biglaw and/or private practice anymore?

Once you have answered that question, ask yourself, ¨what has changed¨? Also ask yourself, ¨have I changed¨?

It seems that the in-house gig is not what you were expecting/hoping for, but that has nothing to do with why you left private practice in the first place. Private practice is definitely the same as when you left it. So you should better identify your ultimate motivations, remember why you left private practice in the first place and be honest with yourself about it (even if you no longer feel this way), and the answer should become a bit more obvious.

Lastly, your post implies that you believe the boutique to be your best option, and that may be the case, but please don´t delude yourself into thinking it is the best of both worlds, because that is incredibly rare in this profession and none of your options fit that mold.

Just my $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”