Tracking COVID-19's effect on V100 associate pay/layoffs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawlo

New

Re: Tracking COVID-19's effect on V100 associate pay/layoffs

Post by lawlo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:35 am
Rx associate at 2000 YTD.
:shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm

abcdoremi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm

As a BigLaw Structured Finance attorney (which CWT calls "Capital Markets" for some reason) who is familiar with BigLaw Structured Finance billing practices and also some of the types of transactions that CWT' works on, I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence the only "flat fee" work they might be doing is Freddie Mac Multifamily "Agency CMBS" offerings, which are relatively cookie cutter and high volume so any changes to precedent deals are minor. However, my guess is that wouldn''t account for more than 20% of their revenues in a typical year. The vast majority of BigLaw structured finance transactions are actually pretty complex and hard, and in my experience CWT is regarded as "elite" in most of those as well.

What drags CWT down ultimately vs. peers is being mediocre or worse in pretty much every other practice that more prestigious NYC BigLaw firms live on, including having virtually no Buy-Side or Sell-Side M&A work. Also, fwiw, revenue per lawyer (RPL) is the only metric that comes close to approximating how "bespoke" or "high value" a typical associate's work is, and CWT's is fairly respectable at $2.1 mm. Given the state of the rest of the firm's practices, presumably their structured finance folks have an RPL way above that. JMTC.

Thank you for this info. When people on this board refer to 'Capital Markets,' are they also typically referring to 'Structured Finance'? Or do you think that's mostly a CWT thing?

Sorry if it's an obvious question, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm
abcdoremi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm

As a BigLaw Structured Finance attorney (which CWT calls "Capital Markets" for some reason) who is familiar with BigLaw Structured Finance billing practices and also some of the types of transactions that CWT' works on, I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence the only "flat fee" work they might be doing is Freddie Mac Multifamily "Agency CMBS" offerings, which are relatively cookie cutter and high volume so any changes to precedent deals are minor. However, my guess is that wouldn''t account for more than 20% of their revenues in a typical year. The vast majority of BigLaw structured finance transactions are actually pretty complex and hard, and in my experience CWT is regarded as "elite" in most of those as well.

What drags CWT down ultimately vs. peers is being mediocre or worse in pretty much every other practice that more prestigious NYC BigLaw firms live on, including having virtually no Buy-Side or Sell-Side M&A work. Also, fwiw, revenue per lawyer (RPL) is the only metric that comes close to approximating how "bespoke" or "high value" a typical associate's work is, and CWT's is fairly respectable at $2.1 mm. Given the state of the rest of the firm's practices, presumably their structured finance folks have an RPL way above that. JMTC.

Thank you for this info. When people on this board refer to 'Capital Markets,' are they also typically referring to 'Structured Finance'? Or do you think that's mostly a CWT thing?

Sorry if it's an obvious question, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Anon above. Exclusively a CWT thing to knowledge. Technically a lot of structured finance work is capital markets work, but it’s asset-backed securities offerings rather than corporate equity or debt offerings. “Capital Markets” at most firms means those attorneys who work on traditional corporate equity/debt offerings, while asset-backed securities offerings would run through their Structured Finance practice. CWT, as far as I can tell, doesn’t have anyone doing equity/debt offerings in their Capital Markets practice, and their work would fall under Structured Finance at other BigLaw firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Having looked at their bills on other transactions, it's not just Freddies. They may be looser fee structures, but still functions within certain fee caps or expected fees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm

FWIW, Milbank had a town hall state of the firm today. Our chairman said that this will be a record-setting year by all financial metrics (hours, revenue, billings, etc.). Obviously in large part due to restructuring (to the point where we're turning matters down), but other practice groups (cap markets, project finance, lit, M&A) have all outperformed expectations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm
FWIW, Milbank had a town hall state of the firm today. Our chairman said that this will be a record-setting year by all financial metrics (hours, revenue, billings, etc.). Obviously in large part due to restructuring (to the point where we're turning matters down), but other practice groups (cap markets, project finance, lit, M&A) have all outperformed expectations.
Any idea what hiring in the restructuring group will look like over the next couple of years? I'll be coming out of a DE/SDNY BK clerkship in Fall 2021, and Milbank is of interest to me. Would also love to know more about the group in general,if you have any insight.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was thinking earlier that bonuses would almost certainly be cut by 50% or more, but now I'm starting to think that won't be the case. Maybe a smaller cut. How could firms justify halving bonuses when they've had record-setting years? That won't go over well. Especially when costs are great reduced to no business travel, food at meetings, office supplies, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 am

parkslope wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I was thinking earlier that bonuses would almost certainly be cut by 50% or more, but now I'm starting to think that won't be the case. Maybe a smaller cut. How could firms justify halving bonuses when they've had record-setting years? That won't go over well. Especially when costs are great reduced to no business travel, food at meetings, office supplies, etc.
Milbank anon who posted about the meeting. Based on how candid our chairman was today, I would be shocked if Milbank has bonuses lower than last year -- it wouldn't go over well. They've been making an active push to be seen as a top tier firm, and market bonuses, leading on raises in the last few years, and allowing all incoming associates to start in October will go a long way in recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

I am a rx associate at a firm that cut pay and worked 220 hours last month. On pace for 290 this month but work is slowing down.

I am starting to get emails from recruiters saying firms are offering signing bonuses to rx associates. Is this true?

Is it worth it to later as a late mid/ rising senior

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am
I am a rx associate at a firm that cut pay and worked 220 hours last month. On pace for 290 this month but work is slowing down.

I am starting to get emails from recruiters saying firms are offering signing bonuses to rx associates. Is this true?

Band 1 creditor side rx anon: can confirm that signing bonuses are being offered to mids / seniors. My sense is it's K&E / Weil (who need bodies) and firms trying to make the jump (S&C) that are willing to fork out cash.

Deciding to lateral is very personal and depends on how you feel at your current firm, whether you're trying to make partner, whether you have client relationships (and if so, are they portable?), etc. Difficult to say anything generally.

tbp140

New

Post by tbp140 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am

What is an rx associate? Tried to Google it but all that came up was pharmacy law?

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 am

tbp140 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am
What is an rx associate? Tried to Google it but all that came up was pharmacy law?
restructuring, insolvency, bankruptcy

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:44 am

Trout et al wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 am
tbp140 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am
restructuring, insolvency, bankruptcy
rx, also known as bk, b&r, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

I am a restructuring midlevel that lateraled during the pandemic and got a big signing bonus

tbp140

New

Post by tbp140 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:45 am

Have anyone's pay cuts been reversed?

JusticeSquee

Bronze

Post by JusticeSquee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 am
parkslope wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Milbank anon who posted about the meeting. Based on how candid our chairman was today, I would be shocked if Milbank has bonuses lower than last year -- it wouldn't go over well. They've been making an active push to be seen as a top tier firm, and market bonuses, leading on raises in the last few years, and allowing all incoming associates to start in October will go a long way in recruiting.
Milbank is now a MARKET MAKER, so I'm confident that bonuses this year will be FLAT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm
V29 trimmed headcount in its HK office.
So Proskauer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:38 am

Anyone heard any news on Baker Botts and interim bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Cravath forcing associates into vacation, saying it won't roll over vacation days into the next year, offering voluntary retirement packages to staff, and asking staff to leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am

tbp140 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:45 am
I'm curious about this as well. My firm has not provided an update re: when things might go back to normal, but business does seem to have picked up considerably.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am
tbp140 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:45 am
I'm curious about this as well. My firm has not provided an update re: when things might go back to normal, but business does seem to have picked up considerably.
Same. We're business as normal, just as busy (if not more) than pre-COVID. Weekly national calls but no mention of reversing the pay cuts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 pm
Cravath forcing associates into vacation, saying it won't roll over vacation days into the next year, offering voluntary retirement packages to staff, and asking staff to leave.
What is the purpose of forcing associates into vacation? Aren't they still paid? Is this happening for both corporate and litigation?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
What is the purpose of forcing associates into vacation? Aren't they still paid? Is this happening for both corporate and litigation?
They probably don’t want to have to pay out accrued vacation days that associates aren’t using right now when they lateral.

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I think firms have to keep a certain cash reserve if they have a certain amount of accrued PTO. I don't remember if this is an accounting rule or state law requirement. Also, the firm doesn't have to pay out associates if/when they leave the firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”