Technology Budget to WFH during COVID-19? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Technology Budget to WFH during COVID-19?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Are any biglaw firms giving technology budgets to set up a home office (two monitors, printer, etc.) now that it looks like we will be working from home for awhile? My firm is not for now and it seems shortsighted given how less productive I am working full time on a tiny laptop.

Anonymous User

Re: Technology Budget to WFH during COVID-19?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Not my firm, but we already had a pretty flexible remote working policy (in practice) so most attorneys had already invested in a good home setup. The firm has always provided for a fee docking stations and office phones that plug into Ethernet cable, and those are now free. Unless seriously strapped for cash I highly recommend investing in two monitors and a good keyboard/mouse combo. I cheaped out by just buying two 24 inch HD TVs - been using them for 4 years with zero issues. Printer with a good scanner is also a good move, but many people just mark up docs on an iPad these days. Good luck

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm

No, but we were given permission to take stuff out of the office, other than printers. So docking stations, monitors, keyboards, etc. are fair game.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm

My firm already had a budget for this. I think you get $500 or so that refills every 3 years to buy home office equipment (monitors, printers, docking stations, etc). They sent out reminders that it is there, but nothing new being added on top of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm

My firm is reimbursing up to $750 for anything we spent out of pocket, plus also allowing us to order things directly through the firm's suppliers (shipped to our houses) at no cost; things like monitors, keyboards, printers, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 pm

PW already had a policy of gifting us monitors, keyboard/mouse and docking station for free. This week they added a $500 stipend on top of that for any other remote work devices including headphones like AirPods

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 pm

My firm (Kirkland has not). Nor do we have a tech budget.

The firm has always been extremely flexible with WFH, so I already have everything I need, including an Avaya phone (that they make you pay for if you want it).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 pm

About two years ago, my firm made it so we could get the same setup at home as we have in the office (other than printer) at no cost by ordering directly from their supplier. There's a link on our intranet. No additional stipend or anything for the current situation, but I've heard from others that they've expensed some additional items without pushback (yet).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm (Kirkland has not). Nor do we have a tech budget.

The firm has always been extremely flexible with WFH, so I already have everything I need, including an Avaya phone (that they make you pay for if you want it).
They sent the phones to everyone who didn't already have one last week, for free. You should ask for a refund.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:39 pm

I asked my V25 about this -- was trying to get a keyboard/monitor. Got a hard "nah." Apparently my firm is cheap af

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:16 am

STB added a one-time $500 stipend during this time and broadened allowable expenses under its existing tech stipend reimbursement rules to include office desks and chairs (previously only hardware, some software and data plans were reimbursable). This is in addition to the $2000 stipend we receive every 3 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”