Summer Internships and Corona Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Internships and Corona

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Sidley has told their summers that the program will start late, they're not sure what it will look like but, as of now, they plan to pay summers for the entire summer even if the program is abbreviated. They are also monitoring what other firms are doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Email yesterday from Jones Day saying that the summer program will go forward, potentially with more remote work/differences from a traditional summer program.

MrLions

New

Post by MrLions » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Email from my midsize Boston/NY firm saying that things are uncertain and they'll keep us updated, but notably no reassurance that the program will be pushed back / shortened / run remotely. I'm starting to consider applying for back up options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Got an email from v100 firm last week just generally saying that they have advised their attorneys to work from home and they will keep us updated/hope we are safe, etc. No talk about pushing back start date, working remote, etc for the summer associate program. Should I be worried and apply to other firms right now?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Do you really think other firms are going to be hiring for this summer right now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrLions

New

Post by MrLions » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 pm

nixy wrote:Do you really think other firms are going to be hiring for this summer right now?
Maybe shitlaw. Not super desirable but it's better than nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:10 pm

Is it likely that if summer associate programs are cancelled they will just have everyone from that class just intern next year? I know by that time it would be post 3L graduation but just curious

Does the cycle start all over again with applying to firms, etc?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it likely that if summer associate programs are cancelled they will just have everyone from that class just intern next year? I know by that time it would be post 3L graduation but just curious

Does the cycle start all over again with applying to firms, etc?
I doubt law firms care about potential summers to do that and they’ll have a new crop coming in.

I’m not sure law firms will make 100% offers if the economy continues to slide.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it likely that if summer associate programs are cancelled they will just have everyone from that class just intern next year?
Why would they?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:03 pm

My S/O is a recruiter at a V100. They kicked around remote start for summers and got bad feedback from attorneys, so pushing back two weeks like the most likely scenario. I have a hard time seeing them cancelling the whole summer program outright.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My S/O is a recruiter at a V100. They kicked around remote start for summers and got bad feedback from attorneys, so pushing back two weeks like the most likely scenario. I have a hard time seeing them cancelling the whole summer program outright.
I'm not seeing how it helps to push back two weeks. Is the expectation that a miracle vaccine would come out of nowhere in late May?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Cooley is supposedly canceling the four weeks of their summer program...the last 6 weeks to be intact as of now

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Got an email from my V20 firm requesting an updated resume... is that normal or are they potentially looking at cutting summer associates?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email from my V20 firm requesting an updated resume... is that normal or are they potentially looking at cutting summer associates?
Not sure if "normal," but my firm did this last summer, around this time last year. Summer program proceeded as normal, no one was cut, and all summers received offers. Not really sure what (if anything) it's used for.

Crickets

New

Post by Crickets » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email from my V20 firm requesting an updated resume... is that normal or are they potentially looking at cutting summer associates?
This is normal. The updated resumes are generally just sent in a file to the attorneys so they have more information about the incoming class. It can also be used to pair mentors based on common experiences, school, interests, etc.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure if "normal," but my firm did this last summer, around this time last year. Summer program proceeded as normal, no one was cut, and all summers received offers. Not really sure what (if anything) it's used for.
I think it’s used for bios that are sent to attorneys. I wish I could tell you not to worry, but definitely don’t worry because of that.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My S/O is a recruiter at a V100. They kicked around remote start for summers and got bad feedback from attorneys, so pushing back two weeks like the most likely scenario. I have a hard time seeing them cancelling the whole summer program outright.
I'm not seeing how it helps to push back two weeks. Is the expectation that a miracle vaccine would come out of nowhere in late May?
If it is, it won’t happen. They are expecting a year, which would be the fastest turn around time in history by far. It normally takes several years to go from a vaccine to a phase one study, which has already happened. We will probably have better treatment options in May but this thing has to die intrinsically in hot weather or this is f’d. It’s impossible to know what May will look like. Very unfortunate for 2L’s. You have to just hope for the best.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:47 pm

Anyone want to shed light on what 3Ls should be thinking/feeling/doing? I'm going to a v20 with a strong Restructuring group in a non-NYC market. Firm has very strong financials (RPP and PPP). I had planned to do M&A or capital markets. :|

How common was it for offers already made to 3Ls to be rescinded among top firms in 2008/2009?
I've read that many firms did deferments which is obviously preferable, although it sucks because of the interest on our loans.

I guess if that doesn't work out, I'll take my plan-B which is to move to the pacific northwest and become a rural prosecutor but who knows how many jobs of those type there are.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 am

Some details from the Texas Lawbook:

1. Sidley is cutting 2 weeks but paying in full.
2. V&E is considering cutting to 6 weeks. No mention on pay, but V&E is doing pretty great financially, and the whole culture of the firm just doesn't seem like they're the type to screw anyone out of anything.
3. Haynes and Boone is full steam ahead and promised to maintain its typical offer rate.
4. Winston & Strawn is undecided.
5. K&E is full steam ahead.
6. K&S is undecided.

These may not be reflective of the firm's non-TX offices.

mindy2019

New

Post by mindy2019 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 am

Just received an email from my summer employer (AmLaw 200 firm) saying the summer internship will be starting from June 1 instead of May 4 and the end date will be the same, which makes it a 6-week program but they still wish we can come to the office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Cooley just cut its program from 10 weeks to 6 weeks. Will now start mid-June.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cooley just cut its program from 10 weeks to 6 weeks. Will now start mid-June.
Any mention whether summers will be paid for the planned 10 weeks, or just for the 6 weeks actually worked?

abogado2018

New

Post by abogado2018 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cooley just cut its program from 10 weeks to 6 weeks. Will now start mid-June.
Any mention whether summers will be paid for the planned 10 weeks, or just for the 6 weeks actually worked?
Just the 6 actually worked according to ATL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:46 pm

FYI WLRK is doing its program, btu still deciding whether or not the program will be pushed back to a later start, partly remote, etc.

The firm is (obviously) financially fine, so don't think anyone should read into decisions RE summer programs as indicia of impending layoffs, salary cuts, or w/e.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Jones Day emailed SAs firm-wide today and is doing the full 10 weeks but starting remote. No word on how long they expect remote work to last.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”