Practical Lateral Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Practical Lateral Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 am

Hi All,

There have been many threads about salary datapoints and how to lateral, but thought this would be useful for those going through the process (like myself) on certain logistical items, as well as best practices. I'm sure this would be quite useful to others as well, so those who have been through the process, thank you in advance for your advice!

1. I've received a verbal in-house offer, and all of our salary negotiations have been discussed live. When I accept, do I have to do so over email (which would be odd given our past correspondence)? Is it standard to ask for an offer letter?

2. I intend on taking a week or two in between positions, but my new prospective position is in a slightly different field; should I ask for materials from my new group to read over this break (to "hit the ground running") or just let it go? Would like to make sure I make a good impression when I start.

3. For items (such as remote-working days per month, etc.) that I've been told "we'll take care of it" but no formal agreement has been made, what's the typical approach?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Practical Lateral Questions

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:28 am

It all sounds very informal, so yes, with respect to 1 and 3 I’d absolutely want something in writing. They’re probably just waiting for you to accept to gin up an offer letter. Number 3 is concerning because that’s a nonanswer. You’re going to have to push them on it.

Number 2....you do you boo boo.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”