Trio Of Elite Law Schools Try Biglaw Early Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jackshunger

Bronze

Trio Of Elite Law Schools Try Biglaw Early Interviews

Post by jackshunger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:09 pm

https://abovethelaw.com/2020/03/trio-of ... -a-leg-up/

Haven't seen any discussion of this, or even what impact it might have on OCI this year.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Re: Trio Of Elite Law Schools Try Biglaw Early Interviews

Post by notinbiglaw » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Yeah, that shit was coming for sure. Even at GULC, there was recruiting activity near the top of the class during 1L. I locked down my 1L summer like a week after 1st-semester grades and I know people were interviewing even before the grades came out.

MBA programs are even farther along the dumb race to recruit early. Women and URMs are getting interviews and sometimes offers before MBA admits even start classes.

Eventually I think we end up with the same situation MBA/undergrad finance recruiting is in. Basically firms will end up sorting themselves with waves of recruiting with the most prestigious firms taking their picks first before second tier firms take their picks (because they don't want to waste their time interviewing candidates that will end up in first tier).

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:00 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:Yeah, that shit was coming for sure. Even at GULC, there was recruiting activity near the top of the class during 1L. I locked down my 1L summer like a week after 1st-semester grades and I know people were interviewing even before the grades came out.

MBA programs are even farther along the dumb race to recruit early. Women and URMs are getting interviews and sometimes offers before MBA admits even start classes.

Well the difference is that this is related to OCI for 2L summers, not 1L summers, which have always hired early.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 pm

That was happening too. Professors were referring students to firms and some got offers for 2L summer associate. Firms were happy to oblige.

There have already been threads talking about this in the past. Some recruiters mentioned they stopped going to OCI together and have been hiring early so they didn't have to waste time on lottery candidates they didn't want to look at.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:43 pm

It is an open secret that "early" hiring was going on 2L summer. Usually it's "top" firms poaching "top" students, or people trying to lock down a position in a satellite office (where space is limited).

I don't think it will meaningfully change OCI outcomes for the average student. At best, it's bringing a little daylight to a process that operated in the dark.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:33 am

dvlthndr wrote:It is an open secret that "early" hiring was going on 2L summer. Usually it's "top" firms poaching "top" students, or people trying to lock down a position in a satellite office (where space is limited).

I don't think it will meaningfully change OCI outcomes for the average student. At best, it's bringing a little daylight to a process that operated in the dark.
I guess the real concern is that you used to be able to just mass spam applications to everyone pre OCI. With this in place, I can see firms trying to control that more and not interview you outside of the program. Also, I can see firms being slightly miffed and not receive you with quite the same gusto if they know they weren't in your top 5 firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”