Second Year Let Go! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Junebug2020

New

Second Year Let Go!

Post by Junebug2020 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm a second year associate practicing at a fairly large firm in a regional market. I'm also the first junior associate that this particular office has ever hired in a while. As many senior associates and partners did not want to expend the time to train a new associate, my hours last year were relatively low-1450. I did find a niche working for a couple of senior associates and partners, but they both left to pursue other employment opportunities. In the past few months, we've lost two partners and several mid-level associates to other employment opportunities, either due to compensation or culture or some combination of the two. After the mass exit, I got staffed on several cases and my hours went up, but the managing shareholder spoke to me about issues with responsiveness. In the 2-3 weeks since then, I believe that I've made a marked improvement and have not heard negative feedback from anyone. However, this morning, the managing shareholder pulled me in to inform me that "it wasn't working out" and that I would be permitted to stay on for another month to seek alternative employment. I actually had to reach out to several shareholders/of counsel that I had pending deadlines for and explain the situation, which was awful and humiliating, and all were surprised--one told me he was upset because I had great work product. I was shocked because I was expecting some sort of written documentation before this to signal that I should start looking, were things ever to go south. I was never even spoken to until about 2-3 weeks ago.

I've never had any complaints about my work product, but I have struggled with immediate responsiveness and managing deadlines. I understand that this is part of the job and something that I'm going to need to exponentially improve on at my next firm. However, the culture at this firm was a bit toxic (I'd rather not get into details because that's not productive at this point), and if I'm able to find another job, it will be a bit of a relief to start over. I'm definitely looking for a firm that will expend more effort in developing junior attorneys, but I know that the onus for this terrible situation lies mainly with me.

Having said all that, the panic is sinking in. I am terrified that if I don't find another job in a month, I will be unemployable forever.
Last edited by Junebug2020 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Second Year Let Go!

Post by Anon-non-anon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:23 pm

You'll be alright. You have a year under your belt, and it seems very likely that the decision had more to do with the lack of work for you (and infrastructure for that work) than your work product itself. Timeliness and responsiveness are easier to work on than quality, but you are correct you should focus on these moving forward.

I would apply broadly, make sure you have a good story to tell about why you want to move (that is at least somewhat true) and try to find a few people to serve as references from your current firm. As people might be a bit suspicious of you leaving this early, it may be worth noting the references in your cover letters.

You could also negotiate more website time, even if its unpaid, and make sure you work out how they will describe the circumstances of your departure if contacted.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:44 pm

You aren't going to be unemployed forever, I promise. This is a bump in the road but it'll work out. Get the firm to give you as much website time as you need - a month may not be enough time to land a new position, and they should understand that. I don't think asking for 3 months is unreasonable, and they should give it to you (especially if it's unpaid). If you think they may resist, talk to one of the partners who actually likes you and get them to advocate for more website time for you.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm

Anon-non-anon wrote:You'll be alright. You have a year under your belt, and it seems very likely that the decision had more to do with the lack of work for you (and infrastructure for that work) than your work product itself. Timeliness and responsiveness are easier to work on than quality, but you are correct you should focus on these moving forward.

I would apply broadly, make sure you have a good story to tell about why you want to move (that is at least somewhat true) and try to find a few people to serve as references from your current firm. As people might be a bit suspicious of you leaving this early, it may be worth noting the references in your cover letters.

You could also negotiate more website time, even if its unpaid, and make sure you work out how they will describe the circumstances of your departure if contacted.
Good advice, but I never understood the whole "references from current firm". If you were gonna pretend you wern't fired or asked to leave why/how would you have references from current firm? If I was leaving on my own accord I wouldnt tell anyone at my firm until I have an offer and cleared conflicts and was ready to give 2 weeks.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:00 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anon-non-anon wrote:You'll be alright. You have a year under your belt, and it seems very likely that the decision had more to do with the lack of work for you (and infrastructure for that work) than your work product itself. Timeliness and responsiveness are easier to work on than quality, but you are correct you should focus on these moving forward.

Good advice, but I never understood the whole "references from current firm". If you were gonna pretend you wern't fired or asked to leave why/how would you have references from current firm? If I was leaving on my own accord I wouldnt tell anyone at my firm until I have an offer and cleared conflicts and was ready to give 2 weeks.
in my experience, contacting references is just about the last thing a firm does.
That being said, I wouldn't mention references in a cover letter - seems weird to me. They'll ask for references, and they'll ask before contacting the references.

So yeah, you want references from partners at your current firm, but they should be in your back pocket, not something you lead with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Some firms don’t even ask for references.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:23 pm

FND wrote:
redsox550 wrote:

in my experience, contacting references is just about the last thing a firm does.
That being said, I wouldn't mention references in a cover letter - seems weird to me. They'll ask for references, and they'll ask before contacting the references.

So yeah, you want references from partners at your current firm, but they should be in your back pocket, not something you lead with.
Still think it is weird and all references should be from prior employment or internships or anything but current gig.

Junebug2020

New

Post by Junebug2020 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:47 am

redsox550 wrote:

Thanks for the advice and insights. I asked for more time but the firm refused! So unfortunately now I only have one month to find a job until it becomes exponentially hard to do so, if not impossible!

They can only give me one more month!

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:23 pm

2013 wrote:Some firms don’t even ask for references.
Also, some firms don't give references (my firm has that policy).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”