AmeriCorps as work experience at OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bonzeye

New

AmeriCorps as work experience at OCI?

Post by Bonzeye » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:39 pm

I understand that sometimes KJD's with no substantive work experience underperform at OCI. I am trying to make sure that doesn't happen if I go to law school.

I am wondering if firms would consider me someone with work experience if I had a year of AmeriCorps under my belt before law school. I am already planning on doing the year of AmeriCorps because I can live at home and study for an LSAT retake but I am just a little curious as to how this would affect my OCI chances. I think I interview fairly well but I don't know where I'd stand going in.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: AmeriCorps as work experience at OCI?

Post by malibustacy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Americorps is not substantive work experience in my opinion.

gander15

New

Post by gander15 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 am

I did a year of AmeriCorps before law school and it was certainly a substantive work experience. Now I interview at OCI and wouldn't see any reason to discredit someone's work experience just because it was through AmeriCorps. Why wouldn't a job be substantive just because it is through AmeriCorps? I think what's more important is what specifically you are doing through AmeriCorps and how you are able to spin it.

Bonzeye

New

Post by Bonzeye » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:36 am

gander15 wrote:I did a year of AmeriCorps before law school and it was certainly a substantive work experience. Now I interview at OCI and wouldn't see any reason to discredit someone's work experience just because it was through AmeriCorps. Why wouldn't a job be substantive just because it is through AmeriCorps? I think what's more important is what specifically you are doing through AmeriCorps and how you are able to spin it.
Well, I was more talking about the shorter length of the work experience, like is one year going to move the needle?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:36 am

One year is the difference between KJD and not, so yeah, it matters to that extent. It’s not going to give you a ton of substantive skills that will be relevant/desirable (contrast with, say, working for a bank for 5 years and wanting to go into finance stuff), but it’s better than being KJD. (And to be clear: most KJDs do just fine, I just think having work experience is always better than not.)

I also agree that the substantiveness will depend on what you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”