Pictures in office? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pictures in office?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Is it ok to display photos of myself with partisan political figures in my office? All of these people are relatively non-controversial (to that extent that exists). Think dem and GOP governors, recently confirmed SCOTUS Justices, McCain, John Kerry, GWB, etc.

I’m in an area that strongly leans to one side, and I am a moderate but lean toward them as well (think CA dem or TX GOP).

V10 satellite transactional

bretby

Bronze

Re: Pictures in office?

Post by bretby » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am

I think more than the partisan issue would be that it is an odd thing to do, especially if you are relatively junior. What message are you trying to send? That you are well-connected politically?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:10 am

I definitely wouldn't, unless its a President (Dem or Republican), then it's probably fine. Except Trump, I wouldn't be advertising that around the firm.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am

Unless it’s creating a title vii risk, no one gives a shit about the pictures in some associate’s office. What’s the worst that could happen, a partner stops by to chat, notices your pictures and then stops giving you work because of them? Or more likely, you call a junior to your office to meet and they notice and then they start shit talking you to other juniors?

The partner scenario is unlikely because 1) partners are more likely to call you to their office rather than stop by; 2) partners typically have both dem and gop relationships too.

As for the juniors, who cares if some junior shit talks you for your pictures.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All of these people are relatively non-controversial (to that extent that exists). Think dem and GOP governors, recently confirmed SCOTUS Justices, McCain, John Kerry, GWB, etc.
I feel like you may not have the same definition of "controversial" as... anyone... literally anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Skool wrote:Unless it’s creating a title vii risk, no one gives a shit about the pictures in some associate’s office. What’s the worst that could happen, a partner stops by to chat, notices your pictures and then stops giving you work because of them? Or more likely, you call a junior to your office to meet and they notice and then they start shit talking you to other juniors?

The partner scenario is unlikely because 1) partners are more likely to call you to their office rather than stop by; 2) partners typically have both dem and gop relationships too.

As for the juniors, who cares if some junior shit talks you for your pictures.
Yes, your peers shit talking you is the most likely risk, but it’s important for your peers to like you! For a lot of reasons, especially over a long career. Why have them remember you as the guy who wanted to show off his pics with Kavanaugh and Rick Perry?

For the record, the issue is going to be less your partisan lean—though you could get shit talked about that—and more that putting up a bunch of pictures of you with fancy people makes you look like kind of an overly ambitious dick. Normal people have pictures of their family.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:17 pm

If it is like a casual photo with these people, it honestly looks stupid.

We all have those photo ops with famous people at fancy events. You don’t want to be “that guy.”

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All of these people are relatively non-controversial (to that extent that exists). Think dem and GOP governors, recently confirmed SCOTUS Justices, McCain, John Kerry, GWB, etc.
I feel like you may not have the same definition of "controversial" as... anyone... literally anyone.
:lol: glad someone else thought this too.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Seems like a really odd thing to pin up in one's office. I mean, I wouldn't do it just because it would look objectively weird to others walking into my office. You don't have a few pics of your spouse, family, vacations, or dog/cat to pin up instead?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 pm

I personally think that you shouldn't talk about religion or politics in the office. If you wouldn't put up religious symbols in your office, you shouldn't put up pictures of political figures either.

I personally don't find political affiliations offensive, but I can see some people finding offense.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:32 pm

On an aside, how do you guys think of an empty office? I recently joined my firm and didn't bother to put up anything (diplomas, pictures, or paintings).

I'm lazy and I haven't bothered to get my licenses and diplomas framed. My coworkers routinely comment on my bare walls. Should I get something so that I don't look like I'm "ready to leave"?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 pm

KunAgnis wrote:On an aside, how do you guys think of an empty office? I recently joined my firm and didn't bother to put up anything (diplomas, pictures, or paintings).

I'm lazy and I haven't bothered to get my licenses and diplomas framed. My coworkers routinely comment on my bare walls. Should I get something so that I don't look like I'm "ready to leave"?
Meh, I get the same thing. I’ve never been big on office decorations. It’s more stuff to move in and move out. You could get a token picture or decoration but it doesn’t really matter. There’s a 6th year associate who has absolutely nothing. People rib him but I don’t think it screams ready to leave...after all, he’s been there for years.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm

I have always put a bunch of stuff up in my offices, but more like art/decorations/personal books/etc. But the point is for me, not other people. It makes me sad looking at an office with nothing in it, especially given how much time you spend in your office in this career, so I put things I like in it. If it doesn't bother you, nothing wrong with not doing that.

Was a nice bonus that it sometimes spurred conversation. People have shared interests that you don't always expect, and having a book of poetry, or a complicated board game, or whatever started non-work conversations.

I would find pictures of political people/celebrities weird, but more because it seems pretty tryhard, and that's always been the biggest social faux pas IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:29 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I have always put a bunch of stuff up in my offices, but more like art/decorations/personal books/etc. But the point is for me, not other people. It makes me sad looking at an office with nothing in it, especially given how much time you spend in your office in this career, so I put things I like in it. If it doesn't bother you, nothing wrong with not doing that.

Was a nice bonus that it sometimes spurred conversation. People have shared interests that you don't always expect, and having a book of poetry, or a complicated board game, or whatever started non-work conversations.

I would find pictures of political people/celebrities weird, but more because it seems pretty tryhard, and that's always been the biggest social faux pas IMO.
I get your point about the empty office. For me though, I endeavor to get through the work day as fast as I can and get home to my girlfriend and relax with my dogs. If I had decorations up, I feel like I'd be admitting that I live in my office (which I mean I already do spend more than half of my day every day at the office but call me in denial).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:36 am

I generally agree with the sentiment so far (it's kind of weird), but I know someone who has photos with politicians in their office. The photos are higher sentimental value though, not just photos they happened to take with political figures/Justices (think former US Attorney with the senator and/or president that nominated them/at their confirmation with said political figure). If your photos have some special significance to you (in the way I just described), then I'd say sure hang them, but if they're just random photos that you got when you went to some event, then the drawbacks are more significant than the gains and I'd say don't hang.

Also, on the bare office, I don't have anything in my office either, mostly out of laziness. I got my undergrad diploma framed like 6 years after I graduated, and still have yet to frame my law school diploma nor my bar certificates. No photos, no personal items whatsoever. No one has said anything although I do plan on bringing in more stuff to decorate my office at some point. I'll honestly say that in the past I've not decorated my office because I knew I was leaving so to me, it does kind of scream "ready to leave." I'd say bring something simple in. Doesn't have to be diplomas, or paintings. Just anything to give it a more personal touch.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:18 pm

I interviewed with a guy whose office was covered with pictures of him posing with conservative politicians like GWB, Paul Ryan, and Ben Carson. I'm a pretty moderate D, so the partisan bend wasn't necessarily a huge deal, but my immediate reaction was "oh, this guy is going to be a prick." He was.

I just feel like it's a weird move unless you have a personal connection to the person, and even then it makes you look like a tryhard.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:46 pm

I mean, the rule is "don't put up conservative stuff in your office unless you're at a conservative-leaning firm."

Dunno why we're trying to dress this up as a trans-substantive "no politics in the office" thing. That's never been my experience, at least in the traditional major markets. Lawyers put ACLU/Planned Parenthood/Human Rights Campaign/whatever stickers on the back of their computer monitors. They do pro bono work on behalf of almost-exclusively liberal causes. They buy tables at dinners benefiting public interest advocacy organizations.

Not making a normative judgment about whether this is right or wrong, just like - let's be real about how this actually works. If OP put up an RBG picture no one would care.

(Although IMHO it's sorta weird unless you clerked for her ... like what, you're just a "fan" and need to let everyone know? I wouldn't put up a Lebron James poster lol)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HarrisonK

New

Post by HarrisonK » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:03 pm

If you're given your own office I think you should absolutely decorate it and make it feel like yours. Especially if you're going to spend 80+ hours/week there. That said, I'd be very hesitant to put up anything political. Politics is necessarily divisive and I can't see any good coming from putting up those pictures. If I ever got my own office (I'm going to a Big4 where associates don't get their own offices) I would hang my diplomas and bar certificates and a few photos (probably one sentimental family photo and one landscape picture). I'd probably even put an area rug down just to make the office really feel like mine. From my perspective, someone that is in biglaw worked very hard to earn their position and should therefore be proud to make their individual office feel like theirs. (I also really like design so I'm biased)

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 am

LBJ's Hair wrote:I mean, the rule is "don't put up conservative stuff in your office unless you're at a conservative-leaning firm."
Just to be clear, this goes both ways. There are conservative offices and liberal offices (and mixed offices), and it's generally not a good idea to be the odd one out.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am

I would say you could put up pics of former presidents. That is less "threatening" and makes you look more patriotic. If you are from TX, I would hang up the picture of you and Gov Abbott (If from CA, you could hang up Newsome, etc).

On the SCOTUS issues, I would be cautious, especially if he was controversial (Thomas, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh). Souter, Kagan, or Kennedy would not be as risque.

I would also balance it out with family, landscapes, etc. You don't want to look like Leslie Knope.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:19 pm
Is it ok to display photos of myself with partisan political figures in my office? All of these people are relatively non-controversial (to that extent that exists). Think dem and GOP governors, recently confirmed SCOTUS Justices, McCain, John Kerry, GWB, etc.

I’m in an area that strongly leans to one side, and I am a moderate but lean toward them as well (think CA dem or TX GOP).

V10 satellite transactional
But why do you need these stupid pics? I have had VIP back stage passes with Beyonce and other artists but I don't have these pics at the office. Who you trying to impress boo?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed May 20, 2020 4:51 am

You should frame some old Soldier of Fortune magazine covers. Maybe put up a picture of a big family in front of a suburban house. Let them know you’ll go down swinging and have something to fight for. That way maybe they’ll stealth someone else.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am

I could see it being okay to have one picture like that, if its meaningful for you. But if you have a ton of political pictures, it screams douchebag.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”