Susman Godfrey 5th Year Associate - AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Susman Godfrey 5th Year Associate - AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:36 pm

I see this board has been dead for a couple months, but how does SG feel about internal moves to other offices? Say I'd like to abuse the low COL in Texas but would like to live in LA/NYC once a partner. Is it more common to go from the HQ to a satellite or vice versa?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:43 am

Does SG allow associates to live/work in a state where they don't have an office? Assuming they'd have to be barred in a state SG has an office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:43 am
Does SG allow associates to live/work in a state where they don't have an office? Assuming they'd have to be barred in a state SG has an office.
I don't work at SG but I'd be stunned if they allowed this given the type of work they do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:36 pm
I see this board has been dead for a couple months, but how does SG feel about internal moves to other offices? Say I'd like to abuse the low COL in Texas but would like to live in LA/NYC once a partner. Is it more common to go from the HQ to a satellite or vice versa?
In recent years associates have moved from NYC -> LA and NYC -> Seattle, but moving the other direction seems rare. I'm sure it would be no problem to move from one of those locations to Houston, but I suspect the politics of moving the other way might be tricky. That said, if you go to Houston and do excellent work, I'm sure it can be done (I just haven't seen it happen).

Partners have moved in the past, but I think it is pretty rare. Max Tribble moved from Houston to LA for a while, but that was mostly to help grow the LA office. There are a few other examples, but they are rare. Mostly people move before they make partner. That said, you make plenty of money at SG. If you are good enough to be hired in LA or NY, and want to stick around, just go to the place you want to live. Making enough money won't be a problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't work at SG but I'd be stunned if they allowed this given the type of work they do.
Yeah I don’t know about SG in particular but speaking generally WFH is probably less feasible for trial work than for any other subspecialty

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
No, that's not permitted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:12 pm

SG-Lawyer

New

Post by SG-Lawyer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:36 pm

For associates, moves are considered on a person by person basis. I don't believe there are any restrictions once you are a partner, but I haven't personally looked into it. A couple of my partners have moved offices in recent years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 pm

What is your impression of the other boutiques in Houston, being at SG? I'm thinking of Gibbs, Yetter, SKV, RF, Beck Redden, AZA, etc.

Any major selling point of SG over these other boutiques (generally, or any specifically) other than shorter partnership track or a specific culuture?

As somebody comparing Houston boutique opportunities, I think you could provide some valuable insight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SG-Lawyer

New

Post by SG-Lawyer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 pm
What is your impression of the other boutiques in Houston, being at SG? I'm thinking of Gibbs, Yetter, SKV, RF, Beck Redden, AZA, etc.

Any major selling point of SG over these other boutiques (generally, or any specifically) other than shorter partnership track or a specific culuture?

As somebody comparing Houston boutique opportunities, I think you could provide some valuable insight.
I have friends at all those firms; they're great. But we're much more of a national firm. At SG, you'll get all the experience you can handle and you'll get it on the biggest cases from around the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Thanks again for doing this and congrats on making partner since the last go around!

What's the interview process like at SG? Are there multiple rounds and are the interviews more technical with questions about substantive case/work experience during your clerkship or are they fit based? I've also heard of lit boutiques that require potential candidates to prepare an opening statement or some other oral/think on your feet test, is there anything like that?

Also, you refer to "first years" earlier in the thread and mentioned SG's six year partnership track. How is class year credited as you don't have any true first years (everyone had at least one A3 clerkship)? For example, would someone who graduated, did a clerkship, and joined SG be the same class year for partnership prospects / comp as someone who did two clerkships and then joined SG? I'm assuming you're up for partner after six years at the firm, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:52 pm

How did you manage the hours as an associate? How many hours did you bill each year?

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:29 pm

Anyone got a sense of what percentage of the $787 million from Fox will go to Susman? How do they split it up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:35 pm

axiomaticapiary wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:29 pm
Anyone got a sense of what percentage of the $787 million from Fox will go to Susman? How do they split it up?
I don't work at Susman but based on my knowledge of how this usually works, it's likely a hybrid hourly rate/contingency fee where the client pays a percentage of Susman attorneys' hourly rates and then Susman gets a corresponding percentage of their typical contingency fee, with the typical contingency fee ranging anywhere from 25 to 40% of the gross value of the settlement).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:35 pm
axiomaticapiary wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:29 pm
I don't work at Susman but based on my knowledge of how this usually works, it's likely a hybrid hourly rate/contingency fee where the client pays a percentage of Susman attorneys' hourly rates and then Susman gets a corresponding percentage of their typical contingency fee, with the typical contingency fee ranging anywhere from 25 to 40% of the gross value of the settlement).
It will be more complicated bc iirc Clare Locke originated the case and presumably gets a very big cut, and they also have Delaware counsel and potentially litigation funders involved

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”