Negative Review - Advice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negative Review - Advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Anon for below reason.

So I'm working in biglaw, secondary city, specialized corporate/transactional practice (no rotation), started in Aug. Got a mid-year review based on two more senior people on my team and it was quite negative. The partner said she would do another review in 6 months. Some of the stuff was "somewhat" unfair while others were true (e.g. getting stuff on time, understanding aspects of the job, etc.) It did take 2-4 months for me to feel comfortable doing the work and since the review I've made an extra effort to get things on time, take ownership of the work, etc. While I personally feel like I've improved and am doing better, I also have this upcoming (about 3-4 months away) review and it's messing with me a little bit, since I really feel like I need to know whether these two people on the team feel that I'm doing better. I don't want to have good feelings about my work and then get surprised if they let me go at the next review. To add to that, I'm making personal decisions in the upcoming months that will make it more important that I have a steady job and it's creating a bit of pressure. From what I understand it's not easy to get let go from this position (historically I haven't heard of it happening to anybody) but I'm feeling anxious.

The question is, can I approach these two people (I work with them on a daily basis) and ask them "what am I doing well/what can I be doing better?" to get a better idea of where I'm standing? (and also so I can improve in certain areas). I feel like etiquette would prevent be from being blunt, but would it be fine to ask them outright how I'm doing, etc.?

Thanks, all advice appreciated

everythingbagel

New

Re: Negative Review - Advice?

Post by everythingbagel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Your instinct to ask for feedback early is good. Even if some issues remain, your colleagues will likely appreciate that you're being proactive and soliciting their advice early (before the next formal review).

Instead of accosting them and asking for feedback on the spot, tell each one individually that you've tried to take their feedback to heart and would like to set up a time to talk about how you've been doing more recently.

This is a kind of CYA: At the very least, neither one of these seniors will be able to say that you didn't solicit feedback or try to improve your work.

Good luck!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Negative Review - Advice?

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Definitely a good idea to start asking for feedback from them, but more in the manner that everythingbagel described.

Also, when you are in the every 6 month review, it usually means you are on thin ice. Are you just a first year? I would reach out to recruiters and make sure you have your resume ready in case the next review isn't markedly more positive

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”