How much do hours really matter when you’re junior? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much do hours really matter when you’re junior?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 am

Was under 1500 hours billable (first year). Got my full bonus in December and my lockstep raise. Just had a truly glowing year end review where I was told my work exceeded my class year.

I asked how I could get busier as this year has still felt slow for me (our fiscal year starts in November). Probably on track for 1700-1800 hours. They told me not to worry about hours and that everyone loves me, and that as a junior you don’t have much control. Is my firm just amazing or something?

Wild Card

Silver

Re: How much do hours really matter when you’re junior?

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 am

It depends on your practice group--not even your firm, but your practice group.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:22 am

1500 as a first year isn’t that low. Unless you’re at a firm that is notorious for being a sweatshop, 1800 isn’t that low either.

I know people who consistently bill between 1400-1600 hours and are still employed by their firms.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 am

There are firms that would give you six months to look elsewhere or refuse to grant your lockstep raise if your first year came in at 1500, so yes, be thankful to your firm for being so humane about this.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 am

As long as low hours isnt a result of partners not wanting to assign you work (which it sounds like is not the case given your year end review), I'd enjoy this while it lasts. If you're really feeling restless, this would also be a good time to take on pro bono work or other non-billables, like writing an article or helping with recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:There are firms that would give you six months to look elsewhere or refuse to grant your lockstep raise if your first year came in at 1500, so yes, be thankful to your firm for being so humane about this.
Yes - I'm a senior associate at a firm like this, and it's...not great, especially for juniors who literally have no ability to control whether or not they are busy. So much of it is practice group dependent too. 1500 hours in an M&A group that has everyone else billing 2500 may be less understanding than in a niche regulatory group where there's a lot to learn (less 1st year work generally), but on the other hand an M&A group may be able to absorb a junior who isn't billing at full capacity better than a different group. A lot of it is personalities and the individual practice group's philosophy. I think the raises from the past few years have also put pressures on certain groups to bill bill bill and be less forgiving. OP, it sounds like you have a good thing going!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”