Atlanta $$ Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sprinkler

New

Atlanta $$

Post by Sprinkler » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am

In Atlanta is there much difference in pay (and bonuses) between A&B and K&S? What about the hours? $$-wise is Polsinelli in their league or anywhere close?

pumpkinspicedchai

New

Re: Atlanta $$

Post by pumpkinspicedchai » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm

In Atlanta, King & Spalding, Jones Day, and Alston & Bird make the top tier with Bondurant at that tier for litigation. Jones Day pays NY market for the first year, then black box. K&S and company pay $165k, assuming no pay cuts from COVID. K&S is not very open about their bonus structure, but I know you are compensated for every additional hour billed past a certain point. A&B's bonuses have hour thresholds so that if you meet the threshold, then your bonus is either 4%, 8%, or 12% of your base.

The next tier is Troutman, Eversheds, Kilpatrick, Paul Hastings (great firm, but not much in Atlanta), and Morris Manning. These firms match K&S on base, but from my understanding does not match bonuses.

After that AGG, SGR, Bryan Cave, and Nelson Mullins start the midlaw tier with base pay around $135k. Polsineli might be in that group, but I think they're another tier below that.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 pm

pumpkinspicedchai wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm
In Atlanta, King & Spalding, Jones Day, and Alston & Bird make the top tier with Bondurant at that tier for litigation. Jones Day pays NY market for the first year, then black box. K&S and company pay $165k, assuming no pay cuts from COVID. K&S is not very open about their bonus structure, but I know you are compensated for every additional hour billed past a certain point. A&B's bonuses have hour thresholds so that if you meet the threshold, then your bonus is either 4%, 8%, or 12% of your base.

The next tier is Troutman, Eversheds, Kilpatrick, Paul Hastings (great firm, but not much in Atlanta), and Morris Manning. These firms match K&S on base, but from my understanding does not match bonuses.

After that AGG, SGR, Bryan Cave, and Nelson Mullins start the midlaw tier with base pay around $135k. Polsineli might be in that group, but I think they're another tier below that.
You are wrong on your midlaw tier according to NALP directory. Bryan cave at 160, AGG at 155, Polsinelli at 150.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Can confirm that Bryan Cave in ATL starts at 160k.

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am

pumpkinspicedchai wrote:

You are wrong on highest payers too. Fish and Finnegan are highest payers as they pay the the same nationally and are above the ATL market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AndroidLawyer

New

Post by AndroidLawyer » Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am
pumpkinspicedchai wrote:

You are wrong on highest payers too. Fish and Finnegan are highest payers as they pay the the same nationally and are above the ATL market.
I wouldn’t really include Fish and Finnegan in this discussion since they are IP specific firms.

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Fri May 15, 2020 8:53 pm

AndroidLawyer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Untitleddestiny wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am
pumpkinspicedchai wrote:

I wouldn’t really include Fish and Finnegan in this discussion since they are IP specific firms.
Eh I guess, though you can always be a litigator there with no STEM degree and the right legal pedigree. Suppose if you are going for corporate thought they are definite nos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Regardless of prestige or standing in the market, who pays $190k scale (or close to it) in Atlanta? I understand K&S and A&B do not. What about Jones Day or Paul Hastings? Anyone else? I am aware of an ATL opening at a firm “with Cravath scale” and trying to narrow down the possibilities. Not IP.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 pm
Regardless of prestige or standing in the market, who pays $190k scale (or close to it) in Atlanta? I understand K&S and A&B do not. What about Jones Day or Paul Hastings? Anyone else? I am aware of an ATL opening at a firm “with Cravath scale” and trying to narrow down the possibilities. Not IP.
Don’t work in Atlanta, but I’m assuming PH is 190 in all markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 pm

I received a recruiter email today about what appears to be a mid level lit position at PH in atl, so likely them if it’s lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Does anyone know what senior associate level salaries are, approximately? Around 6 or 7 years about, base + bonus, for the top or mid-tier firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 pm
Does anyone know what senior associate level salaries are, approximately? Around 6 or 7 years about, base + bonus, for the top or mid-tier firms?
Sixth year at K&S is $240k base. Not sure of raise after that (likely $15-20k) or bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:59 pm

PH is the only ATL firm that is Cravath scale on comp & bonuses. This firm is lockstep and does not have a black box compensation structure like others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AndroidLawyer

New

Post by AndroidLawyer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:59 pm
PH is the only ATL firm that is Cravath scale on comp & bonuses. This firm is lockstep and does not have a black box compensation structure like others.
One thing to note about Paul Hastings Atlanta is their office only has 17 attorneys. And it looks like that number has been shrinking over the past few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:35 pm

I was potentially interested in the midlevel lit associate opening at PH ATL, until I scoped the website and saw there’s one lit partner and two lit associates in that office. A lot of eggs in one basket and also a terrible choice for someone looking to improve partnership prospects as a midlevel lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Bumping in light of A&B's announcement that all offices will now be at the same lockstep salary scale (starting at $190k): https://abovethelaw.com/2021/04/alston- ... us-2021/2/

At least, that's how I read it. Will K&S soon follow? Other Atlanta firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm

K&S is going in June or that’s the rumor on the street.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am

By "on the street," do you mean there's been word from the brass at K&S? I can't imagine they'd let A&B show them up on comp, especially given the ludicrously good year K&S had in 2020.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

would have been nice if this came out a few months ago for OCI. although i assume in the end KS will match and it wont matter, but if they dont, how bad is it to switch atl firms as a 3L .....

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm

Surprised KS Atlanta isn’t on the Cravath scale. I know of someone who went to Charlotte and got Cravath, so I had already assumed KS already made all offices Cravath.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am
By "on the street," do you mean there's been word from the brass at K&S? I can't imagine they'd let A&B show them up on comp, especially given the ludicrously good year K&S had in 2020.
No official word from K&S brass yet. Have to imagine that they’d match to avoid the recruiting disadvantage, but they haven’t yet. Hopefully they do so soon. The recruiters are already descending. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Can anybody confirm that DLA is now paying the NYC scale in their Atlanta office? This ATL article seems to say that.

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/03/dla-pip ... ary-raise/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Can anybody confirm that DLA is now paying the NYC scale in their Atlanta office? This ATL article seems to say that.

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/03/dla-pip ... ary-raise/
Confirmed. It was discussed on the 2021 Special Bonuses thread.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 pm

So now that K&S has matched, think any other firms will? Or will A&B and K&S be in a separate tier in Atlanta?

goldgirl786

Bronze

Post by goldgirl786 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm

Does anyone know what Morris Manning pays midlevels in Atlanta?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”