In House: How long till decision? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In House: How long till decision?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:29 pm

I am wondering how long it takes between a final in person interview (multiple in house attorneys, half in leadership - think VP, AGC roles) and a decision to a candidate for an in house role. This would be with a large Fortune 500 company.

Any data points would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: In House: How long till decision?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am wondering how long it takes between a final in person interview (multiple in house attorneys, half in leadership - think VP, AGC roles) and a decision to a candidate for an in house role. This would be with a large Fortune 500 company.

Can move slow or fast. Had a phone interview with HR. Then had a first round like three weeks later, second round two days after that and then offer about 10 days after that.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am wondering how long it takes between a final in person interview (multiple in house attorneys, half in leadership - think VP, AGC roles) and a decision to a candidate for an in house role. This would be with a large Fortune 500 company.

There's no set timeline (similar to law firm lateral interviews). You just gotta be patient and follow up politely in a week or so. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Can move slow or fast. Had a phone interview with HR. Then had a first round like three weeks later, second round two days after that and then offer about 10 days after that.
Were you asked for your references or contacted in any other way prior to getting the offer ten days later?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you asked for your references or contacted in any other way prior to getting the offer ten days later?
No nothing was asked of me before the offer except a discussion about expected compensation. Though the offer letter states that it is contingent upon successful on-boarding procedures to be completed prior to my start date (i.e. fingerprinting, proof of eligibility to work, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:57 pm

I was offered two in-house jobs. For one, it was about 3 weeks after the final interview until I received an offer. In the interim, they asked for references. For the other offer, it was about 1.5 weeks between the final interview and the offer. Both involved a multi-visit interview process that took many months to complete.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:38 pm

OP here... been a little over a week, moving towards ten day mark. Starting to lose hope... maybe I’m being melodramatic.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here... been a little over a week, moving towards ten day mark. Starting to lose hope... maybe I’m being melodramatic.
I wouldn't draw too many conclusions yet. At a large organization, it would take a week to through all the administrative hurdles (or more) if they decided to pick you the same day as the interview. Law firms tend to be much smaller than large companies, and can be a lot more nimble (less HR overhead), so people going in-house often have unrealistic expectations on timing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:52 am

The wheels of the in-house hiring process grind slowly. Have patience. There is all sorts of red tape. I just went through it myself last year, so I know how you feel.

But now we are in the process of filling an opening and I'm on the other side, and I see how slow it is, and how none of the slowness actually stems from uncertainty over which candidate is best, just from the internal hoops we have to jump through.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:29 am

Op here. I followed up and was told by the in house recruiter that she was working on getting “specific feedback” for me and hoped to be in touch soon. She also told me she “looked forward to chatting.”

While the general tone of her email seemed positive, I’m extremely concerned about her use of the word “feedback” - seems like perhaps she knows it’s a no and is asking why for me. On the other hand, what would she be looking forward to chatting about??

Any thoughts?

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. I followed up and was told by the in house recruiter that she was working on getting “specific feedback” for me and hoped to be in touch soon. She also told me she “looked forward to chatting.”

While the general tone of her email seemed positive, I’m extremely concerned about her use of the word “feedback” - seems like perhaps she knows it’s a no and is asking why for me. On the other hand, what would she be looking forward to chatting about??

Any thoughts?
Don't overthink it.

My experience with small firms, large firms, large corporations, small business, is that some move really fast, some move really slow, and some don't bother to let you know they've moved on. It is possible that that's code for "we forgot to reject you", but it's also possible that the people who interviewed you haven't gotten around to telling HR what they think of you. Remember, everyone's busy, and your interview is not their priority.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't read anything into what she said. Easier said than done, though, I know.

As for timelines, my in house experiences have run the gamut. I got one offer on the same day as my interview. Another, it took about a month. For yet another, I didn't get a rejection until 3 months later, despite regular calls and follow up. No way to know, really. Just keep your head down, follow up somewhat regularly to maintain interest, and focus your attention elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Op here. It has now just passed the three week mark and the online postings for the position were just taken down. However, my status on the job portal has not changed. Would it be excessive if I followed up again? Have followed up at the one week and two week mark.

For personal scheduling + lease agreement reasons it would be really helpful if I found out what their decision was, but I don’t want to risk taking myself out of the running...

Any thoughts helpful. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 am

It is going to come off very poorly if you ask yet again, having already inquired at the 1-week and 2-week marks.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Disagree with the above. Just follow up with the recruiter on Tuesday after the long weekend; managing candidates is literally their job. It's perfectly reasonable to follow up every week or so, especially if they previously gave you feedback that they'd be in touch "soon."

Do you know if there's another step in the process? For the in-house positions where I received an offer, they asked for recommendations after my final on-site and before they made the offer, so perhaps they're still deciding between candidates and may use that information to break the tie (hence why they would still have "feedback" to give).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”