Can I leave out 6 months job from CV? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I leave out 6 months job from CV?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:44 am

I had a short 6 month legal job which I want to leave out from my CV. It was relatively short so don't think itd be a big deal. Thoughts?

Also when employers (After offer) conduct resume background check, what shows up? Does this 6 month gap show up? Will it matter?

wet.ink.sigs

New

Re: Can I leave out 6 months job from CV?

Post by wet.ink.sigs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:30 pm

An employer will probably ask about this no matter what you choose to do, unless it was a long time ago and/or your legal career has been long enough that 6 months is really not a big deal. If you leave it off, they'll ask what you were doing during that time. If you leave it on, they'll ask why you only stayed for 6 months.

The real issue seems to be how to explain this job. If you left due to a reason that would make an employer nervous (e.g., firing, performance issues), you need to come up with a convincing alternative story.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

6 months isn't that short. Agree with the above.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Without knowing more, I also probably wouldn't omit it. A resume doesn't necessarily have to be exhaustive, but, if you are asked about the gap, it'll look like concealment when you disclose the job. Doubly so if, as was stated previously, you left under less-than-ideal circumstances. There might be situations where I'd conclude otherwise, but I think you'd be better served by trying to deal with it more head-on.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:23 pm

I generally disagree that you need to put it on your resume - the resume is you putting your best face forward, there's no obligation to include it. I do agree that depending on where it falls in your career and how obvious the gap is, employers may ask about it. I'm also not sure why you'd want to leave it off just because it was short - if you're afraid employers will think you were fired (were you fired?), the alternative is them thinking you were unemployed. If you're afraid an employer will contact someone from the job and that person will speak badly about you, you would likely have to disclose the job for conflicts purposes anyway. (If you get an offer you will probably have to fill out employment paperwork that lists all your previous employment and you will have to include it then.) So I guess the question is really what harm you think it poses to put it on your resume, and if there's any other way to avoid that harm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawfan2012

New

Post by lawfan2012 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm

In terms of the resume, I don’t see why a 6 month gap would be noticeable. Just leave months off the dates and only put years, and no one will know at all.

It may come up in the background check and you may need to disclose it in the conflict process, in which case maybe it’s more trouble than it was worth to leave it off your resume since it could look even stranger that you didn’t include it in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:15 pm

nixy wrote:I'm also not sure why you'd want to leave it off
It wasn't anything bad. I just moved on quickly when realized that job/firm wasn't the right fit.
I want to omit because with that in, it looks like ive been to too many jobs and it may look like i jump the ship quickly and may wrongly convey the impression that i wont stick around.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:I'm also not sure why you'd want to leave it off
It wasn't anything bad. I just moved on quickly when realized that job/firm wasn't the right fit.
I want to omit because with that in, it looks like ive been to too many jobs and it may look like i jump the ship quickly and may wrongly convey the impression that i wont stick around.
If you want to leave it off, leave it off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:03 pm

FND wrote: If you want to leave it off, leave it off.
What I want to know is how does background check work?
Can thd firm find out if i dont disclose it voluntarily?
Also would they typically really comb through the check that closely?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FND wrote: If you want to leave it off, leave it off.
What I want to know is how does background check work?
Can thd firm find out if i dont disclose it voluntarily?
Also would they typically really comb through the check that closely?
I mean, you don't have to put it on your resume, but if you get hired, you will have to report all your legal employment and you will have to include it.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:38 am

The partner isn’t running the background check. Someone in HR will outsource it to a third party and review the information you provided against what is in the search results. If you’re worried about the partner finding out, don’t. I highly doubt this is something anyone would notify the partner about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 am

nixy wrote: I mean, you don't have to put it on your resume, but if you get hired, you will have to report all your legal employment and you will have to include it.
Ok. So if you dont report , the firm can't find out?
Or is there a way these background checking firms find out somehow without you even disclosing it?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote: I mean, you don't have to put it on your resume, but if you get hired, you will have to report all your legal employment and you will have to include it.
Ok. So if you dont report , the firm can't find out?
Or is there a way these background checking firms find out somehow without you even disclosing it?
Don’t lie about your background by not disclosing it. Then biggest issue will be potential conflicts, and the potential downside outweighs any upside.

You seem way more eager to leave this off than “it wasn’t the right fit.” It is not that big a deal. If you’re a good candidate without the job, you’ll be a good candidate with the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Typically, most background checks will reveal previous employment, especially if it was a legal job and thus recorded (like, the employer withheld taxes and everything). I don't see why this would be an issue, unless OP plans on lying about what they did during the 6 months and doesn't want to be caught in the lie due to a background check.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a short 6 month legal job which I want to leave out from my CV. It was relatively short so don't think itd be a big deal. Thoughts?

Also when employers (After offer) conduct resume background check, what shows up? Does this 6 month gap show up? Will it matter?
Was this your first legal job? How long were you at your job after the 6 month stint?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm

I would just leave it on. Are you concerned about the length of your CV? 2 pages isn't a big deal. Plus it's better to have experience than have a 6 month gap, IMO.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:21 pm

lawfan2012 wrote:In terms of the resume, I don’t see why a 6 month gap would be noticeable. Just leave months off the dates and only put years, and no one will know at all.

It may come up in the background check and you may need to disclose it in the conflict process, in which case maybe it’s more trouble than it was worth to leave it off your resume since it could look even stranger that you didn’t include it in the first place.
Agree with this. I've omitted a disastrous three-month job with another solo and nobody notices or cares. I just use years.

Put your best foot forward. Omit the job and just use years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”