My Problems with O'Melveny & Myers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Are the above acts unethical?

Yes, all are unethical
25%
Yes, some are unethical
35%
No, none of them are unethical
40%

Total votes: 63

BloggerAMG

New

Re: My Problems with O'Melveny & Myers

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 pm

FND wrote: Besides, for all you know, Harvard may have offered to settle, and the defendant rejected it. Happens all the time.
Oh I obviously do not know anything about how litigation decisions were made in that particular case or any case. I made this clear in my blog numerous times. That's why I used the qualifier "query whether" in the OP. In fact, I didn't write about her story until after reading her viral tweet, which she wrote after the case and all appeals were completely over. I had to research the history to figure out what happened. Those posts about her case and the opioid case talk about the "eat what you kill culture" and then query whether it impacts litigation decisions. But of course I have no idea if they actually do as I have no clue those decisions
were actually made. Just describing incentives and posing a question.

I suspect that a better result could have been achieved by focusing on how best to let her move on with her life with as little disruption as possible -- but of course that's just an opinion speculating about an alternate universe and not me stating a fact. Thanks again.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:42 pm

OP, genuinely curious: when in your life did you decide to pursue corporate law?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:55 pm

BloggerAMG wrote:
FND wrote: Besides, for all you know, Harvard may have offered to settle, and the defendant rejected it. Happens all the time.
Oh I obviously do not know anything about how litigation decisions were made in that particular case or any case. I made this clear in my blog numerous times. That's why I used the qualifier "query whether" in the OP. In fact, I didn't write about her story until after reading her viral tweet, which she wrote after the case and all appeals were completely over. I had to research the history to figure out what happened. Those posts about her case and the opioid case talk about the "eat what you kill culture" and then query whether it impacts litigation decisions. But of course I have no idea if they actually do as I have no clue those decisions

I suspect that a better result could have been achieved by focusing on how best to let her move on with her life with as little disruption as possible -- but of course that's just an opinion speculating about an alternate universe and not me stating a fact. Thanks again.
Okay, so I assumed from your blogging about this that you had actual knowledge about how OMM chose to handle the case. But you’re actually just speculating? (“Just asking questions!” is a terrible rhetorical move.)

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:OP, genuinely curious: when in your life did you decide to pursue corporate law?
I was bored of my job and wanted to something idealistic, so I went to law school. It wasn't a deeply thought out and planned decision.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 pm

BloggerAMG wrote:

you didn't 'query', you assumed and implied. Honestly, the issue isn't with OMM, but with you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

FND wrote:Honestly, the issue isn't with OMM, but with you
We all have different values. That was the whole point of the poll. Thanks again for contributing your vote, which I'm guessing was "No, none of them are unethical." Good day.
Last edited by BloggerAMG on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm not following OP on a lot of this, but it's at least not objectively wrong that settling for less than defense cost is ethically wrong even if you're confident about an MSJ. I suspect that many contending otherwise haven't done much defense-side L&E work.

OP has to disclaim knowledge because duh, he worked there and may actually know something that's a/c-privileged about these cases. So even if he does know -- and being totally honest, I'd be fairly surprised if he didn't -- he has to pretend not to. I doubt this would fool anyone from OMM who might be familiar with OP's irl identity and what cases he worked on.

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:07 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I'm not following OP on a lot of this, but it's at least not objectively wrong that settling for less than defense cost is ethically wrong even if you're confident about an MSJ. I suspect that many contending otherwise haven't done much defense-side L&E work.

OP has to disclaim knowledge because duh, he worked there and may actually know something that's a/c-privileged about these cases. So even if he does know -- and being totally honest, I'd be fairly surprised if he didn't -- he has to pretend not to. I doubt this would fool anyone from OMM who might be familiar with OP's irl identity and what cases he worked on.
No I don't discuss any cases I actually heard anything about at OMM. I was introduced to the rape and opioid crisis case view a viral tweet and a news article, long after I left. I actually worked on super boring cases at OMM, and generally only socialized with the IP group who also work on cases far far far afield from rape and the opioid crisis.
Last edited by BloggerAMG on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 pm

I very much hope for your sake that it's true, though I've come across your blog before and know you've been poking the bear for several years now, so, carry on, I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I very much hope for your sake that it's true, though I've come across your blog before and know you've been poking the bear for several years now, so, carry on, I guess.
I would have never worked on that opioid crisis case if it was assigned to me, nor a rape case.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm

this thread is [Insert banned words]

Like damn, this has gotta take some serious mental gymnastics.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:36 pm

BloggerAMG wrote:
Lol she sued them. She put their wallet and, far more importantly I'm sure, their reputation on the line. When someone sues an institution for something as severe as mishandling rape, I'm sure even the noblest of charities does not think "hmmm how can we make this work best for the plaintiff."

Litigating against serious allegations against yourself is hardly unethical. Even less so for a lawyer to represent said institution in a system where everyone is entitled to a fair defense.
I'm not following OP on a lot of this, but it's at least not objectively wrong that settling for less than defense cost is ethically wrong even if you're confident about an MSJ. I suspect that many contending otherwise haven't done much defense-side L&E work.
I don't think that is what anyone is saying. If I missed the off post, certainly not what consensus is saying. People are just saying its fairly wild (which it is) for OP to say said lawyers are unethical because they didn't settle a case that was strong enough to win on summary judgment. Sure, sometimes you settle a meritorious case because settlement is less than defense cost (or greater than defense costs but saves reputational hit of action going public). I'd wager that is a fairly high percentage of corporate suits. But, one, maybe that was not the case here. And two, I would never fault someone for refusing to pay blood money when they know they are right (not saying that is the case here because I really don't know the facts other than what has been said here, but a lot of suits that get settled are complete bullshit and don't blame people for refusing to play ball). And, I know I'm responding to above quote, but most of this is really more in response to OP.

*Apologies, ghostoftraynor, did not mean to anon.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deanoned at poster's request.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Oh yea, the flipside -- that it's, like, per se unethical not to settle -- is just as ridiculous, especially considering that we (except maybe OP) just don't know the internal situation, how attempts at mediation/negotiation went, etc. Sometimes plaintiff's attorneys won't move from big valuations on absolute dogshit cases. Who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

BloggerAMG wrote:Any way. I'm going to drop this as I don't know who any of you are and I do not like debating the anonymous.
So just to be clear, you were totally ok with remaining anonymous yourself and with getting people to respond to your highly-suggestive poll anonymously. But when it comes to having to respond to people's anonymous (oh, the horror!) feedback on your weird vendetta, that's where you draw the line?

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

The discussion about the rape case is going far afield of where my original blog posts went. I think you need to read the original posts to see the point I was trying to make. They're pasted below if you're interested in reading them. The actual blog posts have links to the source material for the assertions in the sentences.

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Does an O'Melveny lawyer's profit motive interfere? (Please let me tell you about "margin")

A month ago, a tweet made its way around the internet. In it, a young woman described a chilling ordeal she went through after allegedly being raped. It’s the sort of thing that causes you to step back and question what sort of society we live in.

According to her tweets, this young woman overcame significant adversity and got into Harvard University of all schools. Back in 2014, she was allegedly sexually violated by a man at her school. Distressed by the aftermath, she tried to seek help from the school. Disappointed with Harvard's response to her requests for help, she sacrificed even more of her life to sue the school, demanding a jury trial raise to "raise awareness about what she described as Harvard’s inadequacy in handling sexual assault cases."

I remember hearing of fights at O'Melveny over which partner gets a client's "margin." Margin is the difference between what non-partners are billed out at and what they are paid, less another small amount for overhead. For example, a third-year associate might be billed out at $600+ an hour, but they are paid $110-140 or so an hour, with another $150-$200 or so going to overheard. That excess ($600 minus $140 minus $200) is called the margin.

Some law firms are “lockstep,” meaning that partners share profits based on seniority. But O’Melveny was an “eat what you kill” firm, meaning that partners had to fight with one another to see who gets the margin. Ostensibly, the margin went to the partner who most deserved it, i.e. the partner who sold the work (that's kind of a big sales commission though, isn't it?) But in reality politics played a role. Sometimes the fights over margin were career-ending. I heard of two promising careers that died because a person with less political power fought for margin.

Margin is the raison d'être for partners. There is even a website where firms rank each other according to how much margin their partners made. The press often talks about partners' $1,000+ per hour billing rates, but that's small potatoes. The real game is margin. Why get excited about earning $1,000+ for an hour of work, when you can earn $1,500 of margin for five hours of someone else’s work? Margin is the business model. It's why they're there, what gets them up in the morning, and the end all and be all. Businesses are best summarized by their management's dreams. Here, the dream was to have a rich client get involved in a massive legal matter, e.g. a lawsuit or a government enforcement action. Then they could have a bunch of attorneys billing hours, and flooding the partners' accounts with margin.

And O’Melveny made a fortune off of this young woman’s ordeal. To make sure she never got her requested jury trial, O'Melveny spent two and a half years raising every technicality and preparing thousands of pieces of paper (the docket shows 150 separate court filings). Eventually, on June 26, 2018, they got the court to dismiss her case via a summary judgment order. Basically, it wasn't Harvard's fault that she felt uncomfortable and harassed at the school, because she was hesitant and not aggressive enough. She did not immediately use some options. She waited a bit before doing this and that, and so on. She appealed to the First Circuit, but later she abandoned the case. Ironically, in light of all the money made off of her, it appears as if she abandoned the case for financial reasons. I say this because the only thing she received in exchange, was the other side's agreement to not sue her for costs.

I don't know anything about what happened to this young woman. But had I worked on the case, I would have advised Harvard that she probably did not come to their school to contrive trauma and sue them. Something probably happened to throw her life off its normal path. I would have recommended some sort of quick solution, with the goal of ensuring that nothing is added to her haunting memories. In my opinion, that would have been best for Harvard and for the young woman.

The problem with such advice, is that lawyers can’t make money via quick resolutions. I've heard of lawyers using rhetoric such as, "this is an important question" or "you have to teach the other side a lesson" -- to convince their client to extensively litigate and pay more, in legal fees, than the other side requested in damages -- only to ultimately lose what was a bad case from the start.

This all begs a question – since margin is at the forefront of every partner's thoughts, should it be disclosed? Should what are essentially sales commissions, markups on labor, and multi-level marketing scheme payments be separated out as their own line item on bills? Let me give an example.

Currently, a bill might look like this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-huP8Tn_ihV0/ ... pture2.JPG

Should it instead look like this?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OmHSg-R4vMA/ ... ncial3.JPG

Firms do this calculation internally to see how to split the funds among the partners, associates and overheard, so why not share this information with the client and, when bills must be filed with the courts, share this information with the public? In this case, 20% of the bill is a sales commission to Partner A for "selling the work" ($135,000 / $680,000 = 20%) and 7% of it is a payment to politically powerful partners who were not involved in the matter, reminiscent of a multi-level marketing scheme ($47,500 / $680,000 = 7%).

Ultimately, lawyers are there to do what is best for their clients and, perhaps more generally, to make the public feel that society is run fairly, and that justice is or will be done. Partners’ profit motive might interfere with these goals. I don't know the solution to this problem -- or the bigger problem of runaway legal costs -- but greater discussion and disclosure might be a start.

Thursday, February 28, 2019

O'Melveny shows off money they made off of an alleged rape victim's misery

Two years ago, I started this blog, partly to inform and protect others, and partly to cleanse my soul. And it worked. But it's grown much larger than I expected. It was only meant to be one post, but things keep popping up in the news.

In December, after being troubled by her story, I wrote a post about a young woman. I haven't spoken with her and don't know her, but in reading her tweets, this is not an average woman. Despite tragedies during her childhood, like losing her father at a young age, she somehow jumped the hurdles required to get into Harvard University. Her focus was social work. There, she was allegedly raped, and it threw her life down a different path. After months of anguish, during which she sought help from the school, she eventually filed a lawsuit against the school. This suit not only sacrificed her time and energy, but it also resulted in the revocation of her dream job offer. You can read about the suit in the prior post. She is still dealing with this life-altering event. She calls herself a survivor and her tweets are sprinkled with flashbacks.

People with poor character are corrupted by injustice, but not her. She responded by working to help others. She had never known an attorney prior to being assaulted and presumably had no interest in the law, but the injustice she felt forced her to take out loans to go to law school, with the hope of helping other victims.

Getting back to her lawsuit . . . In my prior post I talked about the profit motive of lawyers, and whether it interferes. As an example, I wondered if O'Melveny had done a disservice to their client Harvard University, by dragging out this young woman's trauma to maximize the "margin" that O'Melveny's partners were obsessed with. I don't know the answer to that question, as I don't know anything about her case and how litigation decisions were made. It was just a thought; a speculative comment on what I saw in the firm's culture.

Then I saw this article. The article brags about O'Melveny's income and revenue. O'Melveny's chair Brad Butwin boasts that "the firm hit on all cylinders in the last year" and earned millions of dollars of profit per partner. How did they make so much money? Part of it was from her case. O'Melveny specifically brags about the money they made off of her case.

Maybe one day I'll write about how excited partners got when a tragic case showed up on the docket alert system, and the frantic effort to pitch for the work. Imagine thinking you've entered a dignified profession -- only to see people sitting around waiting for something awful to occur, so they can use 300% markups to get rich off the misery.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:41 pm

No, I read those before I commented on the case earlier.

I don't think you have the temperament for defense, OP.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 pm

BloggerAMG wrote:The discussion about the rape case is going far afield of where my original blog posts went. I think you need to read the original posts to see the point I was trying to make.
No, the discussion about the rape case is an example of why you're wrong, and the word vomit that followed is another.

You don't seem to understand that you might be wrong. You staked a position that
1) the girl is 100% in the right and Harvard 100% in the wrong
2) that the attorneys' only motivation was to make as much money as possible
3) that the client has no say in the matter
4) that getting a case dismissed for a plaintiff is somehow wrong
5) that a better option was available and viable
6) that it's bad for a firm to market themselves

You didn't come here asking for opinions, you came here for validation, and when people disagreed with you, rather than listening, you doubled down, and then had a hissy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:30 am

Yes, the full blog doesn't help your case.
According to her tweets, this young woman overcame significant adversity and got into Harvard University of all schools. Back in 2014, she was allegedly sexually violated by a man at her school. Distressed by the aftermath, she tried to seek help from the school. Disappointed with Harvard's response to her requests for help, she sacrificed even more of her life to sue the school, demanding a jury trial raise to "raise awareness about what she described as Harvard’s inadequacy in handling sexual assault cases."
In your own quotes she was trying to "raise awareness" about Harvard's inadequate procedure for dealing with sexual assault. There is no quick settlement here. Sounds like she didn't send a demand letter and they refused to figure out a way to settle this quietly. Their reputation was on the line. We've all seen countless examples of some corporate client settling and media basically equating that as an admission of guilt. Very unethical for Harvard to refuse to publicly concede that it didn't take rape seriously.
I remember hearing of fights at O'Melveny over which partner gets a client's "margin." Margin is the difference between what non-partners are billed out at and what they are paid, less another small amount for overhead. For example, a third-year associate might be billed out at $600+ an hour, but they are paid $110-140 or so an hour, with another $150-$200 or so going to overheard. That excess ($600 minus $140 minus $200) is called the margin.
Some biglaw partners are good people. Some are assholes. But, both good and bad people like making money. Is it surprising or horrifying that people standing to gain millions go hunger games re client credits? If you want to make the broader point that biglaw hour-based system encourages lawyers to overwork and consequently overbill? Sure. Many if not most would agree with you. But, that is not the same thing as oh lets make this rape case go on as long as possible so we make $$$. There is also a huge incentive to, you know, get your client a good outcome so that you get hired again.
I don't know anything about what happened to this young woman. But had I worked on the case, I would have advised Harvard that she probably did not come to their school to contrive trauma and sue them. Something probably happened to throw her life off its normal path. I would have recommended some sort of quick solution, with the goal of ensuring that nothing is added to her haunting memories. In my opinion, that would have been best for Harvard and for the young woman.
Again, don't know the facts of this case other than how you portray them, but I'm sure Harvard did not assert she came to school to get raped. But, the question was Harvard's response to what happened deserve to be punished. She seems to have think it did. They seem to disagree. A quick solution, however, is not what she apparently wanted. She wanted to raise awareness Harvard didn't take rape seriously. Are you seriously that anti-OMM that you can't see that is something they would unequivocally reject (even if the allegation is true, the lawyer is representing their client, and their client's interest here was not yea, we fucked up and have systemic issues with who we treat female victims, here is some money).
Getting back to her lawsuit . . . In my prior post I talked about the profit motive of lawyers, and whether it interferes. As an example, I wondered if O'Melveny had done a disservice to their client Harvard University, by dragging out this young woman's trauma to maximize the "margin" that O'Melveny's partners were obsessed with. I don't know the answer to that question, as I don't know anything about her case and how litigation decisions were made. It was just a thought; a speculative comment on what I saw in the firm's culture.
I highly doubt it. As mentioned above, there are some issues with fee structure. But, that is generally of the form of being asked to write a memo that is probably not that relevant and most people (nobody) will ever read. It's not, oh hey, lets drag this case about us not taking rape seriously out as long as possible. You think the client would like that? You think that is the type of strategy that gets people hired again? Also, kind of funny you characterize the defense as dragging it out when they won on summary judgment. In your world, they would have purposefully lost (after a lengthy trial, rehearing, etc.), and focused their energies on crushing it in the appellate process.
O'Melveny's chair Brad Butwin boasts that "the firm hit on all cylinders in the last year" and earned millions of dollars of profit per partner. How did they make so much money? Part of it was from her case. O'Melveny specifically brags about the money they made off of her case.
The first two sentences are irrelevant. Of course firms like to talk about how much business and money they are making. If they specifically bragged about the money from her case, that is in poor taste. Only thing in your entire essay that would reflect poorly on them. And, judging this all on motion to dismiss standard and all your facts are true.

Edit: Ok, went to blog to see what was going on with above, and OP was right, they did kind of brag about it (text below so others don't have to indulge OP's clear efforts to plug his/her blog). Agree this is in bad taste. Still don't think it helps OP's thesis that much. If the point is that biglaw has flaws or that boomers can be pretty insensitive to women/minority issues, yes fair enough. But, the thesis that OMM is unethical because it did not advise its client to lose a case or settle publicly on an apparently unmeritorious case, think OP needs to try harder.

"O’Melveny’s transportation practice continued to grow in 2018 as O’Melveny advised clients in a $10 billion plan to redevelop JFK Airport in New York. The colleges and universities group stayed busy in the wake of the #MeToo era representing Harvard University in a Title IX case and advising the University of Southern California’s Board of Directors in an alleged sexual harassment investigation."

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am

I know which poster I’m not hiring if I I’m ever falsely accused of something. (Spoiler, it’s Mr.-just-throw-in-the-towel-early-to-prevent-causing-the-other-side-anguish).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 am

BloggerAMG wrote:Maybe one day I'll write about how excited partners got when a tragic case showed up on the docket alert system, and the frantic effort to pitch for the work. Imagine thinking you've entered a dignified profession -- only to see people sitting around waiting for something awful to occur, so they can use 300% markups to get rich off the misery.
What did you think private practice entailed?

Every legal action stems out of someone's tragedy. Often, there's been a tragedy on both sides. If you think the behavior you saw was beneath the "dignity" of the legal profession, I'd advise never setting foot in a plaintiff-side shop. And definitely never even read about a criminal case.

BloggerAMG

New

Post by BloggerAMG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:19 am

Alright all I'm going to head off. Thanks again for participating in the survey and for your thoughts. If you have any further questions or comments for me please email me at the contact information on the blog. Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 am

(I don’t even think the statement about the universities group being busy is that tasteless - they’re not saying they made money off a rape victim, they’re saying they made money defending Harvard and USC. I read “in the wake of the #MeToo era” as a description of fact more than anything else.)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:33 am

I'm excited to hear about how OP spins this on the blog.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 am

All lawyers are evil, probably.

(I also wanted to add: I totally get not wanting to defend Harvard or opioid companies in the contexts described. I'm not claiming Harvard actually did everything right by the woman in question or that OMM is at all progressive on sexual assault issues. Just that those are very different issues from whether OMM acted unethically.)

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:Ok, went to blog to see what was going on with above, and OP was right, they did kind of brag about it (text below so others don't have to indulge OP's clear efforts to plug his/her blog). Agree this is in bad taste.

"The colleges and universities group stayed busy in the wake of the #MeToo era representing Harvard University in a Title IX case and advising the University of Southern California’s Board of Directors in an alleged sexual harassment investigation."
I don't see what's wrong with that statement. They're stating the fact that they're representing Harvard and USC (which are very well-known clients) without going into any details. Please tel me why you think this is in bad taste?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”