2L, terrible grade last semester, is my summer associate job safe? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L, terrible grade last semester, is my summer associate job safe?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Got a B- last semester. I'm freaking out. I'm going to a v20 this summer, should I tell them I fucked up or just ignore it? Have they ever taken offers away because of bad grades? If they ask for my grades how do I salvage the situation?

nealric

Re: 2L, terrible grade last semester, is my summer associate job safe?

Post by nealric » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a B- last semester. I'm freaking out. I'm going to a v20 this summer, should I tell them I fucked up or just ignore it? Have they ever taken offers away because of bad grades? If they ask for my grades how do I salvage the situation?
Chill. I doubt they would care about a single B-. There a few firms that are known to care about this more than others, but unless you got a string of Cs, it would be highly unusual for it to keep you from getting an offer. Absolutely do not bring it up. In the unlikely event they ask, just be ready with a reasonable explanation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 pm

You have nothing to worry about. I got a below-curve grade during 2L (think C or C+, when B- is usually the lowest grade on the curve), and the rest of my grades were mediocre at best. My V10 didn’t care. They did ask for an updated transcript, but nobody cared about grades after 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 am

I found out I got a B- in a course the day before I started my summer at a V20. I sent them my transcript when it was requested during the summer, and no one ever mentioned it or asked about it. I have heard of other V10 firms talking to students when they see consistent lower 2L grades, but more in a “pull things together again for 3L” way.

I think if it’s a one-off and not a pattern of lower grades, you’ll be fine. Show up for your summer, work hard, and do a good job and no one will care about one bad grade.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I don't even think a B- is even that bad.

But, I got three Cs right after OCI -- two of them during 2L year and one of them during 3L. I just had to prove I graduated, and that was it. No one cared. There is only one firm that I can think of that takes away offers if your grades dip below a certain point, and it's in the V5.

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:02 pm

I would assume as long as you don't drop substantially it doesn't matter at all. With that said I think dependent on the firm if it impacts you getting honors it might. Big firms love to post on their attorney bios all their associates "honors" and other things they think clients care about.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”