"Thanks" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
a male human

Gold

Re: "Thanks"

Post by a male human » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 am

Personally, I'm happy to get any word of appreciation, whether it's "Thx" or "Thanks" or "Thanks." My pet peeve is not getting anything back after I did something relatively substantial. Especially true when a reader emails me some question or concern about the bar exam, and I spend 5, 10, 20 minutes looking into it and writing back... and it's just silence, or just "cool."

Anyway, here are mine:

Thanks,
Brian

Looks good to file, thanks.
Please file, thanks.

Blah blah blah. Thanks! [never just the word "Thanks" in one email--it's a waste of space]
Thank you!

cheeseee

Bronze

Post by cheeseee » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 am

what about "All the best"?

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:43 am

How about "Cheers,"?

Can we nominate some sign offs and get a mod to start a poll?

I nominate
"Thanks."
and
"Thanks"

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:51 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:How about "Cheers,"?

I nominate
"Thanks."
and
"Thanks"
I think we need to get more creative. How about some sign offs like:
"To the peace of Rome!"
"Onward to victory!"
"Your loyal comrade,"
"Govern yourself accordingly,"
"Your excellency, please accept the assurances of my highest consideration."

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:38 pm

nealric wrote:

I nominate
"Thanks."
and
"Thanks"
"To the peace of Rome!"
"Onward to victory!"
"Your loyal comrade,"
This makes me wish I had occasion to use "Govern yourself accordingly,"

It feels just absurd enough for the reader to question your sincerity. It could potentially work well in a resignation email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:41 pm

nealric wrote:

I nominate
"Thanks."
and
"Thanks"
I find the proposal logical.

Live long and prosper,
-notinbiglaw

"To the peace of Rome!"
"Onward to victory!"
"Your loyal comrade,"

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Splurgles23 wrote:Ironically, in that Above the Law post, this Joe Patrice person comes off as petty (and more than a little pathetic) himself. Trying to make fun of someone you've never met or read into their psychology based on their online username on an anonymous message board? He seems like a washed out associate who couldn't make it as a real lawyer...time to let that chip on your shoulder about where other people went to law school go...
Thanks, Splurgs. ATL's reporting has long been petty, so it's not surprising that they'd seize the opportunity to take some cheap shots at folks' usernames. As anyone familiar with hlsperson knows, they have been generally a good and reasonable TLSer over the years. Yes, they had a particularly idiosyncratic hangup over this whole Thanks issue, but that doesn't make them a bad person. I never had the sense that hlsperson thought they were particularly special due to having gone to HLS.

Though, I will say I was pleased my response was praised as "a perfect way to end". High praise for the work product of someone who's a "very different kind of insufferable"!

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Glad I'm not the only neurotic person who thinks about this.

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm

FedFan123 wrote:
toast and bananas wrote:How do y'all feel about "Ok." from a junior? Is "Okay." better, or somehow worse?

Neither is correct. It should be “OK” with a comma and then one of “no problem” or “sure thing” or “no worries” directly following (with no ending punctuation)
If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, Expletive Deleted . Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable

Mod Note: User has been warned for use of profanity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

64Fl

New

Post by 64Fl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 pm

I used best until a midlevel redlined a draft email to a partner and changed it to best regards, so now I'm the best regards blowhard out of no personal desire.

I honestly don't even care what people use. My biggest pet peeve is people who type their name after their message when they already have a god damn signature with their name.

"Best,

- Michael

Michael Avantupla
Associate
Pip & Weasel LLP
Blah blah blah"

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 am

texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:
toast and bananas wrote:How do y'all feel about "Ok." from a junior? Is "Okay." better, or somehow worse?

Neither is correct. It should be “OK” with a comma and then one of “no problem” or “sure thing” or “no worries” directly following (with no ending punctuation)
If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, Expletive Deleted. Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable
What sort of response would you find preferable?

I've only ever used that sort of response to set what I had hoped was a pleasant, conversational and eager tone.

I had no idea it could be considered disrespectful.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 am

64Fl wrote:I used best until a midlevel redlined a draft email to a partner and changed it to best regards, so now I'm the best regards blowhard out of no personal desire.

I honestly don't even care what people use. My biggest pet peeve is people who type their name after their message when they already have a god damn signature with their name.

"Best,

- Michael

Michael Avantupla
Associate
Pip & Weasel LLP
Blah blah blah"
I always associate "best regards" with mayonnaise.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 am

texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, [Expletive Deleted]. Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable
This response is why people hate lawyers.

I don’t care how a junior responds so long as he/she acknowledges the email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hatelawandgoinghome

New

Post by hatelawandgoinghome » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, [Expletive Deleted]. Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable

That gotta be a troll post.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

A reasonable midlevel/senior? Agreed. I smell troll.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 am

texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, Expletive Deleted . Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable

If you are not a partner /senior / mid-level /anything above 1st year at K&E Houston you need to lateral ASAP — you will fit in perfectly.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am

texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

Who said I’m a junior Personal Attack Deleted. User has been given a 3 day posting vacation for personal attacks (second offense in a week).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

If you’re dropping “OK, no worries” to me as a junior, Expletive Deleted. Even if there were worries, I don’t care, you’re the junior. Don’t tell me that it’s acceptable

I've only ever used that sort of response to set what I had hoped was a pleasant, conversational and eager tone.

It’s not considered disrespectful

patent_guy

New

Post by patent_guy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

It’s not at all disrespectful.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Can't you all copy what someone who has been there for a while without a book of business does? Obviously they haven't offended anyone important too badly.

hatelawandgoinghome

New

Post by hatelawandgoinghome » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
texas1100 wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:

A reasonable midlevel/senior? Agreed. I smell troll.
I was referring to Texas' post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”