Search on hold? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Search on hold?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:13 pm

I had an interview the week before Christmas and I thought it went great. I got an e-mail today from the firm saying that they are putting the search on hold until the end of January. They said I’m still under consideration.

I’m assuming I didn’t get the offer and the firm is going to reject me soon.

But I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and got an offer.

I’m not sure why they put the search on hold but I’m assuming it probably has to do with the number of applications the firm received.

Any anecdotes are appreciated.

veers

New

Re: Search on hold?

Post by veers » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:43 am

Not surprising at all - firms often reassess their hiring needs in light of workflow changes, and put searches on hold until it is clear that there is enough work to justify a hire (or enough current folks bail).

Obviously a lot of things will need to go right for you to ultimately land the gig, but this is unlikely to be a shadow rejection.
Anonymous User wrote:I had an interview the week before Christmas and I thought it went great. I got an e-mail today from the firm saying that they are putting the search on hold until the end of January. They said I’m still under consideration.

I’m assuming I didn’t get the offer and the firm is going to reject me soon.

But I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and got an offer.

I’m not sure why they put the search on hold but I’m assuming it probably has to do with the number of applications the firm received.

Any anecdotes are appreciated.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am

Another possibility is that they aren’t Yet sold on you and/or want more potential viable options (candidates) that they simply did not see in the period during which they had the posting up.

Everybody knows that people frequently look to jump after bonuses come through.

They don’t want you to write them off, so they’re telling you that the search is probably continuing and you remain in the pipeline BUT they need more time to recruit additional candidates (but they don’t want to expressly say that cause of how you’d likely take it).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:39 pm

OP- did they invite you back for another round of interviews prior to putting you on hold?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP- did they invite you back for another round of interviews prior to putting you on hold?
What do you mean another round? I met with the entire team during my callback.

justanotherlurker

New

Post by justanotherlurker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am

Depending on when the firm pays annual bonuses, it may be that a lot of associates give notice in January -- waiting until after bonuses are paid out to give notice. So, they may want to take a couple weeks to evaluate client demand and associate supply before making any new offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”