Wanting to re-enter the law as an attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wanting to re-enter the law as an attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm posting because I'm in a bit of a pickle, career-wise.

So I graduated 6 years ago, from a T14 school. Landed a job in NYC Big Law, and lasted about 2 years at my firm. I didn't pass the bar exam the first time, and barely even attempted to pass afterwards, limping along at the firm with the dreaded "law clerk" title until I got the boot. It was understandable, since they were expecting and paying for a licensed attorney and I didn't put up my end of the bargain. I've always been a Type-A person who superseded all challenges before me. But this was a challenge--retaking the bar exam with everything I had--that I was just simply not willing to overcome, even with the huge salary as a sweetener. I took that as a message that I subconsciously really didn't want to be in the law, so I called it quits. I went into entrepreneurship and that venture went belly-up. So I then decided to go back to what I originally wanted to do when I was in college--become a public school teacher. I've been doing that for the past 2.5 years.

Suffice to say, after my experience in the non-legal world, I now want to go back to the law.

It has mostly to do with regret--I spent all this money and time on my T14 law degree, and I'm not using it at all right now. I'm also secretly yearning for the prestige of it--I guess you can say that I have low self-esteem and need the boost of people automatically thinking I'm smart and accomplished when they hear I'm an attorney. My dating experiences have been different post-law too--when I was in the law I got a lot of nibbles, sometimes from some pretty desirable people. Now I barely get a glance. I want to go back to when I was more desirable in the dating market.

It's also the fact that I love reading about the latest cases, discussing the finer details of the laws on random forums online, and generally being a legal know-it-all. It gets me to thinking, "I should be getting paid to do this." I figure that, after experiencing non-legal jobs, I should give law another chance, now much more hungry for success as a practicing attorney.

I already have a niche bar that I want to join--the immigration bar. This is a good niche bar for three reasons: 1) I'm totally fluent in Spanish, so that gives me a leg up with all those monolingual immigration attorneys I see out there. 2) Since it's a bar that only deals with federal law, all I have to do is pass the bar exam in one jurisdiction and I am able to practice anywhere in the country. Finally, 3) I get to represent clients at court. One of the reasons I felt so adrift and unmotivated to remain in the law was that, at my Big Law job, I just sat in front of a computer all day, editing contracts and doing legal research on contracts, and then assisting with super-stressful closings. That didn't fulfill an itch I had--which was to have face-to-face meetings with clients, and to do litigation work. Now that I have some formidable public speaking experience--teaching math to unmotivated, emotionally unstable kids in inner-city schools is definitely a trial by fire when it comes to public speaking skills--I feel that ably representing clients in front of immigration judges will not be so intimidating.

Other than studying for and passing the easiest bar exam near my home, what should be my next steps? What will potential employers think of my 4+ year hiatus from the law? How can I formulate a narrative that will make skittish legal employers take a chance on me? I know that former attorneys taking years off to raise their children and returning to the job market face a similar dilemma, but at least they have an understandable, mainstream narrative. By the time I get to pounding the pavement looking for an attorney job I will be fully licensed, or at least that's my long-term plan, which will take roughly 1.5 years to effectuate.

Any helpful, constructive advice in trying to figure my way back into the legal field would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Silver

Re: Wanting to re-enter the law as an attorney

Post by 2013 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:10 pm

1) you need to pass the bar and get barred. That’s the biggest red flag right now. Any employer will know you were canned by your firm if you still aren’t barred.

2) after passing the bar, try to find pro bono volunteer opportunities. It’ll help you get your toes wet.

3) apply to ANY litigation-related job.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm posting because I'm in a bit of a pickle, career-wise.

So I graduated 6 years ago, from a T14 school. Landed a job in NYC Big Law, and lasted about 2 years at my firm. I didn't pass the bar exam the first time, and barely even attempted to pass afterwards, limping along at the firm with the dreaded "law clerk" title until I got the boot. It was understandable, since they were expecting and paying for a licensed attorney and I didn't put up my end of the bargain. I've always been a Type-A person who superseded all challenges before me. But this was a challenge--retaking the bar exam with everything I had--that I was just simply not willing to overcome, even with the huge salary as a sweetener. I took that as a message that I subconsciously really didn't want to be in the law, so I called it quits. I went into entrepreneurship and that venture went belly-up. So I then decided to go back to what I originally wanted to do when I was in college--become a public school teacher. I've been doing that for the past 2.5 years.

Suffice to say, after my experience in the non-legal world, I now want to go back to the law.

It has mostly to do with regret--I spent all this money and time on my T14 law degree, and I'm not using it at all right now. I'm also secretly yearning for the prestige of it--I guess you can say that I have low self-esteem and need the boost of people automatically thinking I'm smart and accomplished when they hear I'm an attorney. My dating experiences have been different post-law too--when I was in the law I got a lot of nibbles, sometimes from some pretty desirable people. Now I barely get a glance. I want to go back to when I was more desirable in the dating market.

It's also the fact that I love reading about the latest cases, discussing the finer details of the laws on random forums online, and generally being a legal know-it-all. It gets me to thinking, "I should be getting paid to do this." I figure that, after experiencing non-legal jobs, I should give law another chance, now much more hungry for success as a practicing attorney.

I already have a niche bar that I want to join--the immigration bar. This is a good niche bar for three reasons: 1) I'm totally fluent in Spanish, so that gives me a leg up with all those monolingual immigration attorneys I see out there. 2) Since it's a bar that only deals with federal law, all I have to do is pass the bar exam in one jurisdiction and I am able to practice anywhere in the country. Finally, 3) I get to represent clients at court. One of the reasons I felt so adrift and unmotivated to remain in the law was that, at my Big Law job, I just sat in front of a computer all day, editing contracts and doing legal research on contracts, and then assisting with super-stressful closings. That didn't fulfill an itch I had--which was to have face-to-face meetings with clients, and to do litigation work. Now that I have some formidable public speaking experience--teaching math to unmotivated, emotionally unstable kids in inner-city schools is definitely a trial by fire when it comes to public speaking skills--I feel that ably representing clients in front of immigration judges will not be so intimidating.

Other than studying for and passing the easiest bar exam near my home, what should be my next steps? What will potential employers think of my 4+ year hiatus from the law? How can I formulate a narrative that will make skittish legal employers take a chance on me? I know that former attorneys taking years off to raise their children and returning to the job market face a similar dilemma, but at least they have an understandable, mainstream narrative. By the time I get to pounding the pavement looking for an attorney job I will be fully licensed, or at least that's my long-term plan, which will take roughly 1.5 years to effectuate.

Any helpful, constructive advice in trying to figure my way back into the legal field would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Why would it take 1.5 years? The next bar exam is in February. You should be studying NOW. Frankly, I see no reason why you would want to return to law.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Luckily, you will not have to craft a longwinded narrative, assuming you're not looking to land a BigLaw gig. If you're interested in practicing immigration law, get your bar card and join a smaller shop. Part of your narrative should not be that you're looking to increase your perceived value on the dating market, however.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:24 pm

There's a lot going on here. Just a few thoughts:

- Immigration law, unless you're doing corporate immigration work, is going to need you to have a passion for it AND the people you're helping - just being fluent in Spanish isn't enough. It involves a lot of paperwork too - it's my understanding that you wouldn't just be in court arguing motions, but filling out and navigating endless applications and filings.

-You HAVE to pass the bar if you want to work as an attorney, and that needs to be your focus if that's what you want to do. No excuses - you got into a T14, there's no reason why you won't be able to pass the bar if you study for it (seriously - you're clearly smart and dedicated - you're a public school teacher! you can do this).

- Once you pass the bar, there are plenty of things you can do to in order to see if you want to work in immigration - volunteering with your local immigration pro bono clinic or group is one want to get experience and also see if it's something you are interested in pursuing.

- If you aren't happy now, becoming an attorney isn't going to fix things. If you're unsatisfied with your dating life and the types of people who are interested in you, being able to say "I'm a lawyer" probably won't do much to change that (I mean, unless there are people who would only date you if they think you will be a *rich* lawyer, but immigration isn't the way to get there, so that's not going to be that effective...and let's be real, no one wants to be dating someone who only likes them because they think you might be rich someday!). It sounds like you may have some things that you need help working on in order to reach your goals (a job you love, a relationship with someone you care about). Maybe finding someone to talk to (a therapist, a counselor, a doctor, etc.) who could help you come up with a plan to get you in the right frame of mind to make these decisions could be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:12 pm

This is going to be another edition of Amateur Counseling by QContinuum.

It sounds to me that, rather than leaping back into the legal world, your first move should be to see a counselor or other mental health professional. From your post, you are dealing with low self-esteem; a record of self-sabotage; and possibly depression. I would suggest that you address these issues first, on an urgent basis, before considering, with a clear head, what you want to do work-wise.

64Fl

New

Post by 64Fl » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:53 pm

QContinuum wrote:This is going to be another edition of Amateur Counseling by QContinuum.

It sounds to me that, rather than leaping back into the legal world, your first move should be to see a counselor or other mental health professional. From your post, you are dealing with low self-esteem; a record of self-sabotage; and possibly depression. I would suggest that you address these issues first, on an urgent basis, before considering, with a clear head, what you want to do work-wise.
+1

baron de murrer

New

Post by baron de murrer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:30 am

If you want to do immigration removal defense then once you have a bar card, you should be able to land a job fairly easily. They need bodies. However, the salary won't be great to start. There's some research/writing involved, but most firms have the paralegals do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”