Should I try to negotiate a salary at Big4? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I try to negotiate a salary at Big4?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi,

The backstory of my academic career:
Bachelor of Arts (Political Science) -- 2014-2017
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Accounting) -- 2014-2017
Masters in Science of Taxation -- 2016-2018
J.D. -- 2018-2021
MBA -- 2018-2021
LLM (Taxation) -- 2018-2021

Professional career:

If I desire to do M&A Tax at a Big4, would I be able to utilize my academic background to provide me with leverage to negotiate a higher than normal salary? If so, what $$ range? If not, thank you for your honesty. Either way, thank you for your time!

Anon2468

New

Re: Should I try to negotiate a salary at Big4?

Post by Anon2468 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:37 pm

They won't negotiate with entry level hires. If you perform well in the future, you can negotiate higher raises.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

I think big4 market rate for JD/LLM Tax is about $90k-$125k base ($5-$15k) bonus. (Depending on firm, office, practice group). You start off as a second year.

Not much room for negotiation but if its below this range you should definitely speak with your school career counselor and try to negotiate.

Source: currently in an LLM Tax program with a big4 offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:23 pm

I have an LLM and a Tax Court Clerkship. I tried to negotiate with my Big4 (NYC M&A/ITS) asking for a salary increase to that of a second year associate because of my Tax Court Clerkship experience (post LLM and prior to joining the Big4). I was told no without hesitation from the recruiters. Your academic credentials aren't going to be enough. In fact, I know someone at a NYC Big4 who passed all 3 (or 4?) parts of the CFA and asked for a raise and was likewise told no. Big4 salary is lockstep at the associate/senior associate/manager levels.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Just to clarify, it's not entirely lockstep in the biglaw sense where you get $x salary in your y year. It's more there are set salary bands for each year of experience in the industry you have. You get a premium on your starting salary as a first year for having a law degree and LLM, but that's it. Theoretically, salaries for CPAs and lawyers/llms converge as you move up, but I've heard mixed things about whether this is true.

Also, as far as I know, you don't get a premium for having both a MACC/MST and a law degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”