Applied to two positions at same firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applied to two positions at same firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:13 am

As the title states, I applied to two jobs at the same firm, although at different times. I work in a firm that has both practices under one group (and I do both types of work). I applied to one practice a while ago (year or so) and the other a few months ago. Both jobs were taken down, but the one I applied to a year ago was reposted and recruiters have been emailing me about it this week. I prefer the first practice area I applied to.

Do firm’s keep track of all of this and will it cause a problem that I applied to another practice group at the firm?

thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: Applied to two positions at same firm

Post by thatlawlkid » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:28 pm

nah you're fine. Not like applying to both of them at the same time and the fact that you have experience in both groups makes it pretty easy to explain away if anyone actually cares.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:32 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:nah you're fine. Not like applying to both of them at the same time and the fact that you have experience in both groups makes it pretty easy to explain away if anyone actually cares.
I'm in the same situation. Both are sub-practices under a general practice, and I could plausibly argue that my background prepares me for either sub-practice. I guess it depends on the firm. Some firms do ask whether you've applied before and if so what other positions you'd applied to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:43 am

Slightly different, but I applied to 2 different offices of the same firm.

I went through a full round of callbacks at the office #1 (in another market), and then a year later applied to the office #2 (in another different market), got that offer, and am still happily working at office #2. No one ever mentioned my application or interviews at office #1, and I don't plan to mention it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”