Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Re: Worried

Post by 2013 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Are you in NY? Is NJ one of the nearby states? Just get sworn into NJ for now since I don’t think they require MPRE. There are plenty of people who don’t get sworn into NY until a year or more later. However, since you’re at a small lit shop, I’m not sure how likely they are to keep you around if they know you aren’t going to be barred until 2021...

I’d be honest about it, since not telling them could be much much worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:52 pm

2013 wrote:Are you in NY? Is NJ one of the nearby states? Just get sworn into NJ for now since I don’t think they require MPRE. There are plenty of people who don’t get sworn into NY until a year or more later. However, since you’re at a small lit shop, I’m not sure how likely they are to keep you around if they know you aren’t going to be barred until 2021...

I’d be honest about it, since not telling them could be much much worse.
I don't think it would be 2021, just around September 2020 probably...delayed as if I took another bar exam. And, I would be able to go to court, just only in one jurisdiction. How should I bring it up? Should I tell them ASAP? or a couple months in? I mean, could I say "my admission is taking a while" when they later inquire, or do I necessarily have to tell them now that I wanted to tackle the bar exam first to focus then the MPRE?

Please don't quote!

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:18 pm

It's not all that surprising that you failed the MPRE if you're looking for the best advice on how to lie to your employer. You have to tell them.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:38 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:It's not all that surprising that you failed the MPRE if you're looking for the best advice on how to lie to your employer. You have to tell them.
Bingo. And remember this lesson in practice... always fess up to mistakes or problems, big or small. They usually come out, and the cover up is far worse than the mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks, but I am not trying to lie. I wouldn't. I am asking these things because there is such a thing as delivering something in the best way possible, and because there is a lot on the line. I am going to say it. But is it likely that I'll lose my job?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 pm

I'd imagine the reason for laying people off for failing is twofold. One, smaller firms don't have as many resources to waste. Two, people who fail the bar once normally fail it more than once.

I'd say missing the November deadline was really bad and I'd do everything in your power to see if there's wiggle room to get to take it. Maybe explaining that you may lose your job will make someone with authority let you take it assuming someone has that authority.

The positive is to the extent they cut people who fail it once under the pretext they'll likely fail it more than once (which is statistically probable), that doesn't really apply with the MPRE where most people only fail if they really don't try. To the extent failing is seen as an indication of aptitude, which is less likely, that also wouldn't apply with the MPRE if you passed the bar.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 pm

So you got your JD, passed the bar, and got a job but didn't pass the MPRE, by far the easiest part of the whole process.....

Halp

Bronze

Post by Halp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:05 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:So you got your JD, passed the bar, and got a job but didn't pass the MPRE, by far the easiest part of the whole process.....
Yeah, seems kinda flame.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 am

Halp wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:So you got your JD, passed the bar, and got a job but didn't pass the MPRE, by far the easiest part of the whole process.....
Yeah, seems kinda flame.
That would be pathetically immature, and OP's situation is not totally unthinkable. I came reasonably close to failing the MPRE despite comfortable passing the bar and having gotten an A in professional responsibility. I didn't study for it because I was convinced it was impossible to fail. I also don't think there's a link between being ethical and doing well on the MPRE/PR. A lot of the questions focus on things you are allowed to do that someone who was extremely ethical would probably assume are things you should not do.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 pm

You should be looking for another job. You said it's a small litigation firm, and presumably they want you to litigate in the near future. You can read the par passage contingency as "eligible for admission." In any event, tell them ASAP, and start looking elsewhere in the event they will no longer be interested.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 am

LSATWiz.com wrote:
Halp wrote:
Yeah, seems kinda flame.
That would be pathetically immature, and OP's situation is not totally unthinkable. I came reasonably close to failing the MPRE despite comfortable passing the bar and having gotten an A in professional responsibility. I didn't study for it because I was convinced it was impossible to fail. I also don't think there's a link between being ethical and doing well on the MPRE/PR. A lot of the questions focus on things you are allowed to do that someone who was extremely ethical would probably assume are things you should not do.
I don’t think it’s failing that’s the big red flag is not even signing up for a test that you have 6-8 opportunities to take before you start practicing. That’s just incredibly sloppy when you’ve put in so much work already to get through law school, pass the bar, and get a job. When you’ve done all of that it seems insane to me that you’d miss signing up for the MPRE.

EDIT: Accidental anon, it’s Slippin Jimmy.
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deanoned at poster's request.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Agree with pretty much everyone else. If you are not a flame I don't understand how you missed registering for the November MPRE when you know you need to, if I were your employer that is the part I would be most upset with. I think you need to do all you can to register for November. Just call the NCBE and beg to get in.

If you can take it in November, I don't think you need to tell your employer since it probably won't delay your admission that much. If you can't take it until March then you obviously have to tell them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Before telling your employer, call the NCBE and try to take the November MPRE. There was no excuse to not sign up for it earlier, but I would rather try and get them to give you a spot than to tell your employer. There is no "optimal" way of telling them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 pm

E-mailed partner in charge and she is not responding...is she mulling it over with others or am i being ghosted?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

There is no way to know. She could well be discussing it with others. She could well be super busy. You'll hear when you hear. They're not going to "ghost" you and just not stop talking to you ever again, that's not how something like this will work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”