Job contingent Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job contingent

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:43 pm

My job letter says i will begin working after i pass the bar. is this something i can talk to them about? honestly i am terrified i might not have passed and if i don't, and if i lose the job, i would bawl my eyes out

albanach

Gold

Re: Job contingent

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My job letter says i will begin working after i pass the bar. is this something i can talk to them about? honestly i am terrified i might not have passed and if i don't, and if i lose the job, i would bawl my eyes out
You can talk to an employer about anything. But you give no details, no company name, no size of company, no geographic location, and therefore any advice you get here will be a wild guess.

Some firms comfortably have the capacity to keep folk on as clerks until they have a second shot at the bar. You can do research and they can either bill it at a low rate since you're not a lawyer, or eat the cost. Other firms need lawyers. They might need you to appear in court. That isn't happening until you're admitted and the firm might not be able to hold off from filling the spot for six months.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My job letter says i will begin working after i pass the bar. is this something i can talk to them about? honestly i am terrified i might not have passed and if i don't, and if i lose the job, i would bawl my eyes out
You can talk to an employer about anything. But you give no details, no company name, no size of company, no geographic location, and therefore any advice you get here will be a wild guess.

Some firms comfortably have the capacity to keep folk on as clerks until they have a second shot at the bar. You can do research and they can either bill it at a low rate since you're not a lawyer, or eat the cost. Other firms need lawyers. They might need you to appear in court. That isn't happening until you're admitted and the firm might not be able to hold off from filling the spot for six months.
It sounds like OP's firm is in the "need (admitted) lawyers" camp, because their offer letter says that OP "will begin working after [OP passes] the bar." They aren't even letting OP start employment until and unless OP passes. All BigLaw firms that I know of let law school grads start employment as clerks before bar results are released.

I'm not seeing any advantage to OP trying to talk to their (future) employer now. If anything, if OP approaches them expressing serious concern about their bar passage prospects, they could even decide to rescind OP's offer. I'd advise OP to hang tight. If they pass (and plenty of folks terrified of failing the bar end up passing), voila. If they fail, then and only then should they approach their employer to discuss options.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump
why? what info are you hoping for that isn't already upthread?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm

OP here. Bump was not me.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Bump was not me.
To be clear, I'm not complaining, I'm just legitimately confused what the bumper expects to happen (and if they say so they're more likely to see it)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”