Am I going to get fired? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I going to get fired?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 am

I need help. I started a job as a new attorney with the Federal government about three months ago and moved across the country for this job. Since then, everything that could go wrong has (relationship ended, apartment flooded, pet died, I got very sick, etc.) and my supervisor has had to cut me a lot of slack on my time in the office. They have been happy with the work that I have done, but it seems like every pay period, I am having to ask for some time off for one emergency or another. My boss seems frustrated, and I am trying my best, but I also feel like everything is falling apart.

Sooooo I guess my question is: how hard is it to get fired from the federal government? I am still in my one-year probationary period and am worried they are going to think I am too much trouble. Should I start applying to new jobs? Please help

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Am I going to get fired?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am

I doubt your supervisor is particularly annoyed that you took a day or so off to change apartments after like, a flooding. And if you're sick, you're sick---happens.

I assume you didn't tell your boss you needed time off to get over a breakup, or your dog dying. Those things truly suck, but like...you've still gotta show up to work.

If you did, that was like, really stupid. But what's done is done. Don't take vacation, don't complain about your personal life, just show up early, do a great job, and convey, overtly and covertly, that you really really want this job and will run through a wall to keep it.
Last edited by LBJ's Hair on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 am

Impossible for us to say but do not take any additional time off work unless you absolutely must and when you are in work hard, do good work, and stay late.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Are you a trial attorney? If so, I could see this being an issue, if it's causing coverage issues for your co-workers. If you're on the transactional side, I wouldn't worry.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 pm

So even though you’re probationary, I really really doubt they’re considering firing you. Getting a replacement for you will take much longer for the government than for a firm, and if your work is decent getting rid of you will make them worse off than you working there even if you’re taking time off. Also you for something like getting sick is generally frowned upon.

I agree that coverage for trial stuff is a problem, but if you’ve only been there 3 months you’re probably not that integral yet.

It’s not a great way to start but I think they will get over it. If when you say you feel like everything is falling apart, you’re actually having problems getting your work done/hitting deadlines, I would talk to your supervisor (or another senior atty you trust) about how to get back on track ASAP. If you’re just worried about first impressions, just keep your mouth shut and work hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

You're probably not going to get fired, but I'd avoid talking about your personal life at work at all costs. That should help combat any notion that you're overly focused on personal stuff, can't separate work from your personal life, etc. (to the extent such a notion has developed, not saying it has)

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm

On your probationary period they can conceptually fire you without cause in the sense that you don’t have civil servant protections, but I think you still have to go through a performance improvement plan. I think if firing were on the table, everyone would know.

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Get your shit together dude. Otherwise you’re fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”