FICA Taxes on Bar Stipend Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jlo_10

New

FICA Taxes on Bar Stipend

Post by jlo_10 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 am

I am not returning to the firm that paid me a Bar stipend. Is it normal practice for that firm to bill me for the FICA taxes that they apparently paid on the stipend? My offer letter mentions that, if I don't return to the firm, I agree to "reimburse the firm for any stipend/bar-related fees." However, it is not at all clear to me that a "tax" is the same thing as a "fee." Anyone have any insight on this? Much appreciated.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: FICA Taxes on Bar Stipend

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:41 pm

jlo_10 wrote:I am not returning to the firm that paid me a Bar stipend. Is it normal practice for that firm to bill me for the FICA taxes that they apparently paid on the stipend? My offer letter mentions that, if I don't return to the firm, I agree to "reimburse the firm for any stipend/bar-related fees." However, it is not at all clear to me that a "tax" is the same thing as a "fee." Anyone have any insight on this? Much appreciated.
Not an expert on this, but my initial thought is that the firm wouldn't be liable for the FICA tax if the stipend is returned.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: FICA Taxes on Bar Stipend

Post by dabigchina » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Just so I understand: they are asking you to reimburse the employer's portion of FICA? If so, that seems strange very strange.

edit: didn't mean to anon. mods, feel free to unanon me.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deanoned at poster's request.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”