Working at firm during 3L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Logicalfallacy

New

Working at firm during 3L?

Post by Logicalfallacy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I've been hearing some people at my school talking about how they're working for their firm part-time during 3L. I just finished up as an SA at a biglaw firm near my school (and will be returning there as a first year when I graduate) but they didn't mention anything like this being available. Would it be awkward to ask/is it too late to ask about something like this? Do most biglaw firms have positions like this available?

Anonymous User

Re: Working at firm during 3L?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Non-NYC major market here. I can't remember anyone doing this. People worked at small/mid law shops in town fo $25/hr. or whatever, but I don't know anyone who stayed on part-time in biglaw as a 3L. I'm sure it' possible some places, but I'd say it's very rare.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Kirkland has in the past offered this to 3Ls that were SAs. They are the only V50 that I know of that has done this. It happens a lot in the non-big law world but pretty rare in big law.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Some biglaw firms will offer this to their SAs, but it's really rare - there simply isn't a lot you can add to a big firm in terms of value. This is more common at midlaw and small firms, which tend to have a more substantive "try out" period before they offer someone (due to a number of factors, primarily economics of law)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Have seen Cadwalader and Cahill also offer this to 3Ls in the past. However, this isn't something you request -- if there is a need, the firm generally will ask the student if they're interested. Great way to make some $$$

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm

I've heard of NRF Austin's office doing this, both from a 3L that was working there and from the hiring partner, who mentioned the possibility of such an arrangement during OCI. I've also heard of V&E Houston doing this as well, but I think the 3L was in a small, specialized group like exec comp or something similar.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 pm

people are overstating how "uncommon" it is. know 3 of the NY V10, of the top of my head, that have taken on former summers in the past few years (caveat, summers that they've really liked) for 15-20 hours a week for longer-fuse projects---extensive doc review, etc. stuff that can be done remote.

they'll bill you out at a lower rate than a 1st year but higher than a paralegal. you'll make mega bucks. sweet gig.

if you're interested, ask. worst that happens is you seem enthusiastic and they say no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Know of two tech-focused offices in Boston doing this - its a case of enough work being around and is very office and group specific as far as I know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 pm

I worked at a local law firm for $30/hr during 3L year, between 20-35 hours per week. I didn't work for a biglaw because my law school was located in the middle of nowhere, so there weren't any biglaw offices within driving distance.

However, I chose to work part-time only because I need $$$ for a major purchase and I didn't want to take out even more loans. If you don't have pressing need for $$$, just make the most of your 3L year. You won't be having so much free time for many years onward. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know of two tech-focused offices in Boston doing this - its a case of enough work being around and is very office and group specific as far as I know
Yep, Goodwin Boston does this

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:18 pm

I did at my SA firms for both 2L and 3L. I committed to 20 hours but ended up averaging 30+ but under 40 for both.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 pm

As someone who worked during law school, I don't recommend doing it unless it's unavoidable for financial reasons. Law firms prize responsiveness uber alles, and it's hard to always be that responsive when you are in class for much of the workday and (presumably) want to also spend some amount of time socializing with your law school friends. It's a lot of stress to juggle, and it's all too easy to rub people the wrong way/create a bad impression when you, say, don't respond to a 3:01 PM email until 6:15 PM because you're in a no-computers-allowed class from 3-6 PM.

It's a bit better for patent prosecution, where tasks tend to be (relatively) less urgent, but it's still a lot to balance, especially if you're also on a demanding journal or have significant student org or RA commitments.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:15 pm

When you have a full-time offer 3L year is basically a victory lap. You won law school, relax and enjoy it. Because once you graduate the next race begins.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”