Best time to defer employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PeaceFrog

New

Best time to defer employment?

Post by PeaceFrog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm

I am a 2L with a big law SA offer that is trying to decide when to take a year off. I have an injury that needs to be corrected with surgery. Recovery is usually a month but there is a high chance of complications which would result in recovery of upward of a year. I'd like to plan for the worst case scenario.

Options I see:
- Do the surgery after my SA job and take a gap year between 2L and 3L
- Do the surgery right before or after starting as an associate

I'd appreciate suggestions. Thank you for reading.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Re: Best time to defer employment?

Post by notinbiglaw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I honestly would do the SA, tell firm about surgery and ask to be SA again next summer. If they say no, you have to look at your options then.

I really hate saying this but not having SA experience and/or missing regular recruiting cycles really just sucks in awful ways and should be avoided if at all possible. Get offer, accept offer, then work with firm about start time and medical recovery.

PeaceFrog

New

Post by PeaceFrog » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:I honestly would do the SA, tell firm about surgery and ask to be SA again next summer. If they say no, you have to look at your options then.

I really hate saying this but not having SA experience and/or missing regular recruiting cycles really just sucks in awful ways and should be avoided if at all possible. Get offer, accept offer, then work with firm about start time and medical recovery.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think my school's OCS will have insight on this? Or will they just be considering what is in the better interest of the school?

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 am

I am not sure but I think your interests are aligned. They should know best way to protect your presumptive full time offer.

Ultimately the situation is rare enough I don’t think they will have a lot of insight.

For big firms though, I just don’t think it’s a big problem to defer full time employment considering how often firms do so for clerks. I can’t imagine deferring for medical reasons is different for them logistically other than not giving you a year of seniority.

PeaceFrog

New

Post by PeaceFrog » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:I just don’t think it’s a big problem to defer full time employment considering how often firms do so for clerks. I can’t imagine deferring for medical reasons is different for them logistically other than not giving you a year of seniority.
That's a fair point. I was worried as being seen as a hassle but they're use to dealing with deferments.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”