CB to Offer Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CB to Offer Question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:13 pm

If a firm tells you they'll get back to you in a certain time period, is it weird that they're going to finish their interview process before extending offers? Or is the whole offer process firm-specific?

Just wondering if it's a bad sign if a firm doesn't extend an offer right after your interview.

soft blue

Bronze

Re: CB to Offer Question

Post by soft blue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Not weird at all. Getting an offer at the end of your callback would be remarkable. The hiring committee needs to meet; they will review your interview reports and make a decision based on that, practice group needs, etc.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 pm

I mean, most firms won't give you an offer RIGHT after your interview, though there are certainly people who hear back same day and get offers. It depends on firm practices as well as on the interviewee--some are folks the firms want to make sure they nab sooner than later, so they'll give out those offers sooner than later. However, it is not unusual for interviewees to be waiting until the firm sees out the rest of their interview process to hear back.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 am

On-the-spot offers are so rare as to be almost unheard-of. Same-day offers are still rare. There are maybe a small handful of firms that extend same-day offers, but the vast majority don't.

Much more common is same-week offers. It's typical at many firms for hiring committees to meet once per week, so depending on which day a candidate interviews on, they could receive an offer anywhere from 1-7 days later. Sometimes interviewers are tardy at turning in their evals, so offers up to 14 days post-CB aren't unusual. Some firms do "super callback" days, and typically offer decisions are made more quickly after those days (as firms will usually schedule a hiring committee meeting right after).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:41 am

Can confirm 2 on the spot offers have happened so far this OCI but most others were with a few days. Not sure how common my experience was though. Best of luck! No news is not always bad news :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 am

Can also confirm an on-the-spot offer in a major market. Rare but not unheard of.

bana79

New

Post by bana79 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am

Even in my secondary market with a reputation for moving pretty slow I have a couple friends who have gotten on the spot offers. Not super uncommon, but definitely not common enough for OP to worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”