Are federal government lawyers still able to do some work on the side? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are federal government lawyers still able to do some work on the side?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 pm

I work for the federal government.

A friend of a friend needs some legal work (contract work) that is completely outside of the department that i work for and outside of the realm of legal work that I do for a living. Think: (I do policy work for a living and my friend needs a simple contract drafting)

Does anyone know if we're allowed to 'officially" do some legal work on the side? Are there any conflicts checks we have to go through?

Anonymous User

Re: Are federal government lawyers still able to do some work on the side?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:52 pm

In my government office we’d have to clear it with our ethics officer. (I think we are allowed to do some legal work for family/close friends but can’t remember what the parameters are.)

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Post by Bingo_Bongo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:38 am

I work for a city government, and we have to clear all outside legal work with our management. They readily approve everything with no headache, but I'm guessing there would certainly be something like that at the federal level where there's an even bigger chance of the appearance of impropriety

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:06 am

At my federal agency there is a whole approval process for any type of outside work for any employee (regardless of whether you are a lawyer or it is legal work). It regularly gets covered in our ethics training. I would contact your ethics office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”