Informational phone call Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Informational phone call

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:52 pm

I set up an informational phone interview with partner who leads the practice group I want to apply (he's my school alumni). Haven't submitted my applications yet. Should I ask him at the end of our conversation to forward my applications to the recruiting team? How can I tactfully do this? I have done my 2L SA in the same practice area at different biglaw and want to switch a market. What kind of things should I ask or talk? He's a SUPER senior partner, FWIW.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: Informational phone call

Post by Lawman1865 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I set up an informational phone interview with partner who leads the practice group I want to apply (he's my school alumni). Haven't submitted my applications yet. Should I ask him at the end of our conversation to forward my applications to the recruiting team? How can I tactfully do this? I have done my 2L SA in the same practice area at different biglaw and want to switch a market. What kind of things should I ask or talk? He's a SUPER senior partner, FWIW.
I would avoid outright asking him to pass on the materials. That's what networking is for and it doesn't sound like you have the time to develop some kind of relationship or anything.

I think a way to say it would be to mention at the end of the call that the work/group sounds very interesting, thank him for his time, and maybe then slip in that you' plan on applying to the firm and it was helpful to hear about the work that is done there. At that point he'll get the idea and if he wants to help, you've given him an opportunity to forward your materials/speak on your behalf. Maybe other people have more forceful ways of doing this but I generally like to put it out there and if the partner wants to move on it then he can.

As far as things to ask, can't hurt to just ask about his work, the office, the kind of transactions/cases he does, maybe what his specific day-to-day responsibilities entail, etc. I had a friend who liked to ask partners what their most interesting/complex case was and he apparently sometimes got some interesting stuff out of that

Good luck

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”