When Are Associates Pushed Out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
QContinuum

Re: When Are Associates Pushed Out?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What firms are more "up or out" for junior and mid-level associates? It seems like some firms will let associates stay until they are a super-senior, while others push out associates much earlier.
Can't think of a single definitive answer. In general, for major markets the firms that're a bit lower on the totem pole typically tend to push folks out earlier than the top dogs (they often simply don't have enough work to keep that many midlevels or even juniors around). But there are exceptions, as you can see ITT there are V10s that will push folks out starting at the 1-year mark and even before.

Generally, key is to go to a firm with lots of work for everyone (which tends to be the top dogs in each market). So long as there's enough work to keep everyone's hours up, the firm is unlikely to want to push people out (aside from true performance-based firing). But once you start getting into a situation where associates are scrambling for enough work to hit their minimums, that's when all bets are off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 am

I know of at least 4 NY firms in top 20 size wise in the city that push out years 2-3 regularly. In fact, I know of several 3rd years pushed out in last 4 weeks at 3 firms.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least 4 NY firms in top 20 size wise in the city that push out years 2-3 regularly. In fact, I know of several 3rd years pushed out in last 4 weeks at 3 firms.
I think that's awesome. I'd love that much time.

I live every day of my life in fear that I'll get canned after stub year plus 1 year--i.e., 1yr3mo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”