Classes helpful for bankruptcy attorneys? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Classes helpful for bankruptcy attorneys?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm a rising 3L joining a law firm's bankruptcy group after graduation. I'm trying to figure out what classes I should take for 3L.

I've already taken a lot of helpful classes like bankruptcy, secured transactions, contract drafting, accounting for lawyers, business associations, and negotiation.

What else should I take that would be helpful?

I was considering taking corporate finance and basic federal income tax, but if those would not be helpful please steer me in a different direction (no need to get a B in something that ultimately won't be useful!). What about something like how us companies operate in foreign markets? Or a class in excel like business analytics?

Anonymous User

Re: Classes helpful for bankruptcy attorneys?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Honestly, don't think there are many classes that are helpful outside of Bankruptcy, Business Associations, and Secured Transactions. Being familiar with finance terms is helpful, but you can just learn those on the job with a little help from investopedia.

I do wish I had taken Sec Reg. It wouldn't be directly applicable in many instances, but think some basic knowledge there would be helpful. So maybe take that, but I think you should just focus on taking classes that sound interesting to you. It will likely be your last opportunity for formal learning.

spidey314

New

Post by spidey314 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 am

If your school offers any specialized courses that deal with debt documents, I think that would be incredibly useful. NYU offers such a class (Corporate Bonds & Credit Agreements).

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

spidey314 wrote:If your school offers any specialized courses that deal with debt documents, I think that would be incredibly useful. NYU offers such a class (Corporate Bonds & Credit Agreements).
This, and anything to do with corp governance.

Fed income tax won't be helpful unless it's a corp income tax class, then maybe. Corp fin might be helpful. Everything else you listed is fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
spidey314 wrote:If your school offers any specialized courses that deal with debt documents, I think that would be incredibly useful. NYU offers such a class (Corporate Bonds & Credit Agreements).

Fed income tax won't be helpful unless it's a corp income tax class, then maybe. Corp fin might be helpful. Everything else you listed is fine.
Which would be more useful for my development as an attorney (and someone interested in the business side); learning excel in a business school class or taking basic federal income tax (does not focus exclusively on corp., think only touched upon it)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:35 pm

I took corporate and partnership tax and neither is remotely helpful to me as a bankruptcy attorney. If anything looks like a tax issue, it just get pushed to tax attorneys.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:

Which would be more useful for my development as an attorney (and someone interested in the business side); learning excel in a business school class or taking basic federal income tax (does not focus exclusively on corp., think only touched upon it)?
Not a survey fed income tax course, which will focus a lot (at least mine did) on the individual side of the IRC. Learning Excel could be marginally useful, but I don't think it will meaningfully help your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 3L joining a law firm's bankruptcy group after graduation. I'm trying to figure out what classes I should take for 3L.

I've already taken a lot of helpful classes like bankruptcy, secured transactions, contract drafting, accounting for lawyers, business associations, and negotiation.

I was considering taking corporate finance and basic federal income tax, but if those would not be helpful please steer me in a different direction (no need to get a B in something that ultimately won't be useful!). What about something like how us companies operate in foreign markets? Or a class in excel like business analytics?
Best course you could take is one on corporate restructuring if one is available. Other than that I wouldn’t sweat it, You learn everything on the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 3L joining a law firm's bankruptcy group after graduation. I'm trying to figure out what classes I should take for 3L.

Best course you could take is one on corporate restructuring if one is available. Other than that I wouldn’t sweat it, You learn everything on the job.
^this. Enjoy 3L, sounds like you have a lot of bases covered already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”