Negative review...what should I do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negative review...what should I do?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Summer associate at biglaw (V30-40). It's almost end of my summer, and I just had a call from a senior associate that I am now working on one assignment with. She told me I didn't show a good ("enthusiastic") attitude while communicating about the assignment. I admit it was a mistake on my end--I was actually seeking further guidance but in retrospect it could be viewed in that way. I will try my ass off to submit the best ever final product but what else I can do here? In the call, I told her I really appreciate her constructive feedback. When submitting a final product, should I write more to show I will definitely fix what she pointed out?

On the other hand, is this a clear no-offer sign? The firm is a 95-100% offer firm and every summer had an offer last year, fwiw. Should I start massmailing asap? I was told offers will be given within a couple weeks after summer program. My mid-summer review was positive overall.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Negative review...what should I do?

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:18 pm

first, there’s a strong chance the senior is just overly harsh and nobody in the office takes their opinions on summers or associates seriously. There’s a few in every office. If you’re comfortable and there’s an associate you trust I’d just ask them if you should be worried. They might just laugh and say no, Senior sucks and we all know it.

I wouldn’t be too worried. We had summers that straight blew off work and got offers because we’re a traditionally 100% offer firm. And that negative review isn’t even all that negative. There are summers every year that “lack enthusiasm” because they’re aiming for a certain group and don’t really care for, say, BK work.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Wouldn't really even call that a review, more like some negative feedback. Lalilulelo's suggestion is probably best. Could also consider a quick apology/comment about your lack of enthusiasm and explain. If so, make it brief and move on.

Flarmanarnar

New

Post by Flarmanarnar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah listen to the above advice - I honestly wouldn’t bring it up to that senior again but would just ask someone else that your close with at the firm. Tbh sounds like you just had a tough time with one person. When I saw the thread title I was expecting some nightmare story but this is tame - someone at my firm was told no one liked their personality and they were overall “average.”

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 pm

You're in for a stressful career if you panic this much about every little thing.

I know that you're worried, but don't be. Just take the feedback in good form, reflect on whether it's something you truly need to improve on, and move forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:41 pm

OP here, a senior associate is in my group and the offer is decided by the group. This is why I am much worried. Would I still have a chance if I eventually submit a glowing product with a brief apology and explanation?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't see how an apology when you submit your work product would work against you (assuming it's done tactfully), so might as well?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:32 pm

You'll get an offer, but you'll likely be placed in a shitty group like Finance or Real Estate once you start full time.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:first, there’s a strong chance the senior is just overly harsh and nobody in the office takes their opinions on summers or associates seriously. There’s a few in every office. If you’re comfortable and there’s an associate you trust I’d just ask them if you should be worried. They might just laugh and say no, Senior sucks and we all know it.

I wouldn’t be too worried. We had summers that straight blew off work and got offers because we’re a traditionally 100% offer firm. And that negative review isn’t even all that negative. There are summers every year that “lack enthusiasm” because they’re aiming for a certain group and don’t really care for, say, BK work.
Agree with this. I've had a summer be openly disinterested in the group and also fall asleep twice in front of us in a conference room in front of a partner, and I'm pretty sure the summer is still going to get an offer with some constructive criticism in their end of summer review.

Apologize succinctly (don't grovel) and tactfully and produce good work product. If you work/have worked with others in the group, if your work for them has been good and they like you enough, it's going to be a wash come time for the group to decide on your offer. I really wouldn't be *that* worried about it--it's nothing to brush off, but I don't think it's going to get you a non-offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm

I tend to agree that this senior is probably difficult to work with, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. What did you say that wasn't "enthusiastic"?

Honestly, I've had summers say dumb things to me, but I didn't feel the need to call them out on it or put it in their review. I give a lot of leeway to summers because there's so much needless anxiety built into the process: no reason to raise concerns unless they're serious interpersonal or work product concerns.

Obviously, some people take a different view, so it's best to be as likeable to as many people as possible, but things happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I told her that it wasn't being not enthusiastic but more like I wanted to check if I was meeting her expectation on the assignment. She indeed told me it's an issue about how I communicated with her. She thought I was trying to reduce the amount of work, which wasn't true on my end.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”