Fordham Law OCI 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fordham Law OCI 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Getting this going... EIW schedule outcomes?

Anonymous User

Re: Fordham Law OCI 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:30 am

While I think it's a great sign that our class has not been super active on TLS, these threads have definitely been useful to me in navigating this process, so I can rationalize this as paying it forward...

Stats: somewhere between 20-25%, Law Review, ~3 years of work experience, e-board seat on a student group

18 EIW at first drop. I bid pretty conservatively, and did so with some specific practice areas in mind. We'll see what happens after opt-in closes on Wednesday and schedules are finalized, but based on past years, there might be 1-2 additions .

-----------------

For future readers:

Take all of this with a grain of salt, because it's just what I've gleaned from conversations with other people in my section, and honestly, none of it is really groundbreaking stuff. It tracks with advice I've read here/heard from CPC counselors, so it's probably not that far off, but it's also definitely not authoritative.

- In terms of ranking strategy, it really seems like it doesn't matter at all outside of your 1-5, and even then, it's not a lock. Don't lose any sleep trying to figure out where to rank your 22 vs. your 27. On the upside, you can be pretty sure that if you get screeners from the firms nearer to the bottom of your list

- Journals and moot court both make a significant difference; less sure about what the other competition teams do for you, but obviously they can only help. I've spoken to people with (much) better GPAs than I have that got fewer interviews at the first drop, and the difference is mainly their lack of a team or journal. So, while it really, really sucks to go through finals, THEN UWC, THEN moot court/DRS/Trial Ad tryouts, it's unquestionably a good idea to do those things.

- Bidding conservatively probably does get you more interviews. Again, speaking to people with better GPAs than me who bid on the "most prestigious" firms (think the very top of the Vault rankings) got fewer EIW interviews, and on top of that, the more grade-conscious firms are also (anecdotally) more likely to hold the Fordham degree against you in the long run anyway.

- Do pre-OCI. I did not, but I know several people with offers at great firms already. They all reached out before bid lists were due and are either sitting out OCI entirely, or were at least able to cancel a bunch of interviews at places they're less excited about than the ones they are holding offers from. Consider it a service to your fellow classmates, because it opens up more OCI interview seats. These interviews are usually the result of some connection to a firm, which you can build on your own throughout the year or over the summer at networking events, and some firms are less shy about advertising this than others. Weil comes to mind--they were hyper-aggressive in making sure we all knew that we didn't have to wait for OCI to apply to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 am

"Bidding conservatively probably does get you more interviews. Again, speaking to people with better GPAs than me who bid on the "most prestigious" firms (think the very top of the Vault rankings) got fewer EIW interviews, and on top of that, the more grade-conscious firms are also (anecdotally) more likely to hold the Fordham degree against you in the long run anyway."

This is not true. Bid based on your grades/ extracurriculars and do not be afraid to bid on the highly ranked firms. They may be grade-conscious and hire fewer people from Fordham but they do not hold your fordham degree against you. If you stand out at Fordham and show you can work hard and well you are viewed extremely favorably and other Fordham alumni look out for you. Whoever you are hearing that information from is probably just bitter that they didn't get the job they wanted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Bidding conservatively probably does get you more interviews. Again, speaking to people with better GPAs than me who bid on the "most prestigious" firms (think the very top of the Vault rankings) got fewer EIW interviews, and on top of that, the more grade-conscious firms are also (anecdotally) more likely to hold the Fordham degree against you in the long run anyway."

This is not true. Bid based on your grades/ extracurriculars and do not be afraid to bid on the highly ranked firms. They may be grade-conscious and hire fewer people from Fordham but they do not hold your fordham degree against you. If you stand out at Fordham and show you can work hard and well you are viewed extremely favorably and other Fordham alumni look out for you. Whoever you are hearing that information from is probably just bitter that they didn't get the job they wanted.
Definitely didn't mean to suggest you SHOULDN'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES APPLY to those firms. By all means, if you want to work there, and you have the grades and extracurriculars, go for it! These places have taken and will continue to take Fordham grads! I'd agree with the quoted poster there. I would push back a little bit, though, because I don't know that your advice applies to 90-95% of the people that might be looking at Fordham down the line. What I wrote out originally was meant to be mainly for people in the 20th-50th percentile, which I should probably have qualified earlier.

I should also clarify that some of these firms have a GPA cutoff that is practically much softer than the SBA spreadsheet might suggest. For example, a firm might be categorized as a 25th-33rd percentile firm, and in reality, they don't particularly care if you're actually 35th or 40th if you're bringing something else to the table for them. There are always exceptions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Stats: A hair below median, 7 interviews, 1 pre-OCI, secondary journal, worked FT as same time as undergrad [for three years], e-board on two student groups, diverse.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Stats: top 10%, LR, K-JD

5 pre-oci callbacks. 1 offer. Haven't heard back from the other 4.

22 Interviews. Cancelled 11 and now have 11.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:09 am

Stats: top 33%, secondary journal, WE
20 interviews + 1 via opt-in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:39 am

Stats: Cusp of Top 33%, secondary journal, 6+ years WE
12 interviews, canceled most after pre-OCI offer.

I bid conservatively and networked hard. I don't care about prestige all that much other than perhaps exit opportunities. I also had another callback (went well) at a firm that I expect to result in an offer because I've got a couple of partners who have really got my back. I have a fairly unique background that they share and that tie really paid off for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Now that the first day is (almost) over, let's post any CBs we receive. They should trickle in over the next two days according to previous year's threads.

Also, let's commiserate (or celebrate!) over bombed (or crushed!) interviews. I blew my first interview to bits but thought my second went extremely well. Very happy since I prefer the second firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Hahn & Hessen CBs are out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:57 am

Akin CBS went out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:19 am

OMM Cb's out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Anyone hear from Cadwalader?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrainDrain2021

New

Post by BrainDrain2021 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OMM Cb's out
Can you provide interviewer initials?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Troutman Sanders CBs are out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Has anyone heard from King & Spalding or Kelley Drye by any chance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from King & Spalding or Kelley Drye by any chance?
Heard from a friend they got a Kelley Drye CB.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Dinged at Clifford.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Dinged by Skadden at noon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from King & Spalding or Kelley Drye by any chance?
Ah darn. That's awesome for your friend though! Thanks for the update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ah darn. That's awesome for your friend though! Thanks for the update.
Of course, but don't lose all hope! Previous year's threads make it seem possible that CBs can trickle out over the week. I missed OMM but I'll hold out for a few days. You never know. Just focus on what you can over the next few days. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Arnold & Porter CB. Skadden Ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Anything from today’s firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Friends heard back from Fried Frank. Interviewer A.B.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 am

Does direct approach or hospitality suite asking for an interview ever work?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”