How long to wait before reaching out again/moving on? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cogburn1984

New

How long to wait before reaching out again/moving on?

Post by Cogburn1984 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:03 am

Am a rising 2L. Worked as a biglaw paralegal before law school and am interested in going back to my old firm, and practice group. Emailed the managing partner, who works in that practice group, yesterday (about 24 hours ago) about interviewing outside of OCI. I haven't received a response yet. Looking for any advice people have about etiquette on something like this. When should I feel comfortable bumping my original email, in case he missed it, or should I interpret this as a cold shoulder and move on entirely and focus on OCI?

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: How long to wait before reaching out again/moving on?

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 am

Too soon to worry about. Check back in on Monday or some time next week.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Too soon to worry about. Check back in on Monday or some time next week.
This. Partners are literally copied on hundreds upon hundreds of emails a day. It's possible yours got lost, but more likely that it's just not high enough priority that he's gotten to it yet. Sit tight for now.

biglaw_advice

New

Post by biglaw_advice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree that it's likely best to follow up early this week - I'd suggest Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. The managing partner's inbox is packed - I'd recommend checking with HR on Wednesday if you don't hear back after pinging the partner. The reason I suggest following up w/ HR is because time is of the essence this week - biglaw firms are beginning or about to begin heading to OCIs and off campus interview programs. You have a very strong connection with this particular firm so you want to make sure you don't get lost in the shuffle and make it known that you want to come back. In case it helps w/ your materials, here's some tips I wrote on cover letters and resumes: https://biglawadvice.com/2019/07/07/how ... w-success/

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 am

Thanks y'all. The partner got back to me late last week and offered to set up an interview. Thanks for your advice.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Cogburn1984 wrote:Thanks y'all. The partner got back to me late last week and offered to set up an interview. Thanks for your advice.
Glad to hear it, and good luck with the interview!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”