Any thoughts on Sidley Chicago? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any thoughts on Sidley Chicago?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering Sidley Chicago for next summer and have really liked most of the people I met at their office.
I have however heard, from fellow students and from a partner at another top firm here, negative things about Sidley's culture and quality of work compared to other top Chicago firms, which makes me hesitate a little.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and insights from anyone who's had any experience or interactions with Sidley Chicago.

Thanks so much.

Anonymous User

Re: Any thoughts on Sidley Chicago?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 pm

I think it depends on what type of person you are. I've heard (and only heard, though from a good friend and mentor at Sidley) that it is a little bit more "buttoned-up." People are a little bit more conscious of "staying in their lane" (e.g. a more formalized rather than free market assignment system) and that can make it appear a little bit stuffier or rigid. You probably can't cuss in front of senior associates or partners, for example (though I have no idea if this is true).

Someone that might like K&E, by contrast, might find that disconcerting. I know from experience that the people at K&E are less formal and a bit more in-your-face about things, both good and bad. They're also perhaps a bit more arrogant about their place in the Chicago market, whether you like them or not.

I'd say that the two firms represent two poles in Chicago as far as firm cultures go. Someone that loves Sidley probably won't love K&E and vice-versa. That said, these firms are so big that it's hard to attribute a single "culture" to them. I'd look at other things like the practice group, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering Sidley Chicago for next summer and have really liked most of the people I met at their office.
I have however heard, from fellow students and from a partner at another top firm here, negative things about Sidley's culture and quality of work compared to other top Chicago firms, which makes me hesitate a little.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and insights from anyone who's had any experience or interactions with Sidley Chicago.

Thanks so much.
One thing to be aware of at Sidley is that you will become more specialized, much earlier on if you don't end up in the general "Corporate" group. After your summer, you'll rank the top 3 groups you want and you'll be assigned to one. Most people get their preferred choice, but I know some that didn't.

Even if you do get your preferred choice, I do think it's detrimental to only be able to do work within one group versus having the ability to try out assignments in multiple groups over the course of your junior years at a firm. Kirkland/Latham let you have more variety as a junior (those are the only ones I know off of the top of my head, I'm sure there are more). For example, if you're in the Global Finance group at Sidley, you'll never do any real estate work, securities/governance work, or M&A work. Whereas at other firms you could do Debt Finance/Capital Markets/M&A/Funds and not have to decide until later on.

2,000 billable hour minimum to get a bonus also blows - basically means you won't get a bonus after your first full year since it's hard to get ramped up so quick.

Just something to keep in mind.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Some of the most annoying attorneys I’ve worked across were Sidley Chicago folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 pm

I work in another Sidley office. I am not sure what these people are speculating about, everyone that I have worked for/with in the Sidley CHI office have been very nice people (partners/senior associates/junior associates). Very willing to teach you, tell jokes, curse with you etc. I have learned just as much (if not more) from people in the Sidley CHI office than people in my own Sidley office. Fantastic and accomplished people to work with.

Also, having the 2k min to get a bonus year one does suck, but I definitely got a bonus and so did all of my friends at the firm. It definitely is not impossible to hit 2k at Sidley to make bonus in most of our groups. And, again, not a Sidley CHI office but we definitely have both a formal and informal system to getting work. I would never use the word "rigid" to describe it, and I doubt the people I work with in other offices would either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

Interviewed for middle level lateral m&a position in the last 18 months and was told median hours in my class were around 2400, with some associates significantly higher. That said, it also sounded like they were better staffed at more junior levels.

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed for middle level lateral m&a position in the last 18 months and was told median hours in my class were around 2400, with some associates significantly higher. That said, it also sounded like they were better staffed at more junior levels.
2400 *median* is brutal. Jesus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed for middle level lateral m&a position in the last 18 months and was told median hours in my class were around 2400, with some associates significantly higher. That said, it also sounded like they were better staffed at more junior levels.
I know someone who interviewed for the same position and was told the exact same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:12 pm

OP did you get an offer yet? They told me they don't interview before oci and now I'm thinking they might have been not-entirely-honest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP did you get an offer yet? They told me they don't interview before oci and now I'm thinking they might have been not-entirely-honest.
They interview before OCI.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:33 pm

beeoBoop wrote:
2400 *median* is brutal. Jesus
2400 median, while possibly the norm at maybe only a few firms is really an unsustainabe lifestyle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm

M458 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP did you get an offer yet? They told me they don't interview before oci and now I'm thinking they might have been not-entirely-honest.
Even at schools where OCS doesn't allow it? Wow. I feel like shit now lol

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
M458 wrote:
Even at schools where OCS doesn't allow it? Wow. I feel like shit now lol
Ah, okay that part I don't know. Just know that Sidley does interview/has interviewed people before the general OCI period. That's shitty of a career services office to not allow it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”