Lateral Timing and Leaving Biglaw Early Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Timing and Leaving Biglaw Early

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Currently a first-year (almost second-year) associate in a biglaw corporate speciality group, with an opportunity to lateral to a boutique law firm that specializes in that group. Pay would be slightly less (probably $30-40k less), but the hours would be significantly better. The firm environment/culture seems great and it’s more of a lifestyle firm. While that really appeals to me, I’m worried that I’d be leaving too early from my current firm and missing out on some of the training biglaw provides. I’m also concerned that job security wouldn’t be as good at the boutique, and there seems to be a lot of talk in the news of a looming recession. Would I be jeopardizing my career with this move?

beeoBoop

New

Re: Lateral Timing and Leaving Biglaw Early

Post by beeoBoop » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Hard to say without knowing more but biglaw training isn't a reason to stay and a 30-40k difference isn't that big (though salary compression may be more significant the more senior you get). Presumably at a smaller firm, training would actually be better because it's more leanly staffed and you have more substantive work.

Can't help with predictions re the recession. Though I'm not sure that being in biglaw over the boutique is any better given that it's the same specialty.

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Literally just made this move. Same class year. PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:17 am

I just did the same as well. The boutique has very compressed salary (I think an 8th year equivalent would be $300k), but the firm tries very hard to not overload associates here. I think that the goal is to keep associates below 2000 hours if possible.

As for the recession thing, I actually think job safety is better at the boutique because of the types of clients

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”