Jones Day Compensation Data Points Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day Compensation Data Points

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:25 pm

Class of 2020 is getting $5k bumps. Unconfirmed if everyone in the class got it or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:25 pm
Class of 2020 is getting $5k bumps. Unconfirmed if everyone in the class got it or not.
C/o 2020 got a $5k bump that I figured out by looking at my paystub. Still down $20,500 when measuring July 21-July 22. Jumping ship as soon as possible, this firm is so strange

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:03 am

I am a senior associate who is very strongly considering a lateral move to do JD L&E. I’d love to get any input on the group/firm from existing associates. Again, I do L&E, so I’m not making market now and it’s not like I could make materially more at a different firm. The main reason for my interest is that I have a major origination opportunity (millions) where I’d be conflicted out at my current firm.

To keep it somewhat topical, any idea how you end up in the salary or points categories of partner? Based on your book or do you need to do a year or two before being eligible? Any idea on comp?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:03 am
I am a senior associate who is very strongly considering a lateral move to do JD L&E. I’d love to get any input on the group/firm from existing associates. Again, I do L&E, so I’m not making market now and it’s not like I could make materially more at a different firm. The main reason for my interest is that I have a major origination opportunity (millions) where I’d be conflicted out at my current firm.

To keep it somewhat topical, any idea how you end up in the salary or points categories of partner? Based on your book or do you need to do a year or two before being eligible? Any idea on comp?
I know an associate who lateraled to JD as a partner. Was a 9th year with a book ($1m+). JD offered a lot more than other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Haven’t had much luck bumping this thread lately…but any thoughts on when JD will “match?” Given the raises some folks got end of year this makes me think they’ll just wait till July but holding out hope nonetheless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm
Haven’t had much luck bumping this thread lately…but any thoughts on when JD will “match?” Given the raises some folks got end of year this makes me think they’ll just wait till July but holding out hope nonetheless.
It's hard to say. Some people received raises at the end of the year, but many others didn't and will probably feel upset about being underpaid even more from the new scale. Jones Day has lost around 200 or so attorneys over the last couple of years, so they might act sooner than July if they feel that losing that many attorneys shows that there is a retention problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones Day waited to boost everyone's salary in July or right before the summer associates start this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
It's hard to say. Some people received raises at the end of the year, but many others didn't and will probably feel upset about being underpaid even more from the new scale. Jones Day has lost around 200 or so attorneys over the last couple of years, so they might act sooner than July if they feel that losing that many attorneys shows that there is a retention problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones Day waited to boost everyone's salary in July or right before the summer associates start this summer.
Here in DC all of the Energy associates have left over the last few months, and they haven't raised salaries or anything. Kinda doubt they'll be doing anything anytime soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Here in DC all of the Energy associates have left over the last few months, and they haven't raised salaries or anything. Kinda doubt they'll be doing anything anytime soon.
TITCR. I think they will eventually give everyone a raise before the NLG starts in the fall (so they can show that they pay first years at or above market base salary). However, I wouldn't count on them doing anything anytime soon until they absolutely need to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If compensation is the most important thing to you, then you should lateral to another law firm that pays market. As long as Brogan remains managing partner, there is likely no chance you will see a bump in salary until July. I think Brogan is content with keeping things the way they have always been, even if that means losing all of their talented associates. The only way you would see a change to the system is if many of Jones Day's clients started looking elsewhere for legal representation, but I haven't really seen that since their revenue increased the past year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
If compensation is the most important thing to you, then you should lateral to another law firm that pays market. As long as Brogan remains managing partner, there is likely no chance you will see a bump in salary until July. I think Brogan is content with keeping things the way they have always been, even if that means losing all of their talented associates. The only way you would see a change to the system is if many of Jones Day's clients started looking elsewhere for legal representation, but I haven't really seen that since their revenue increased the past year.
OP here. Totally agree with all of this—I’m just in a secondary market with limited options but nevertheless frustrated with the opaque and cheap nature of JD’s comp system so I’m reduced to anon speculation on TLS…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Totally agree with all of this—I’m just in a secondary market with limited options but nevertheless frustrated with the opaque and cheap nature of JD’s comp system so I’m reduced to anon speculation on TLS…
Previous anon here. Definitely agree with you. Jones Day still pays the best in many of their secondary markets (or close to it). It also gives you a better chance at making partner compared to their competitors and lateraling between offices isn't that difficult if you are in good standing, so it's not all bad. I was just pointing out the fact that compensation at Jones Day will likely never be market since the firm can still recruit top talent (at least for now) and its not like paying associates less than their competitors will cause clients to look for a different law firm to represent them. However, if you know you don't want to make partner and your market has other law firms that pay more than Jones Day and will give you an opportunity to pocket a bonus each year, then it would make sense to lateral, especially in this hot market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FWIW, I've heard that this is Brogan's last year as MP - we'll see if his replacement changes anything, though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:12 am

Anyone else feel like the return to office procedures are ambiguous? If we are expected to work in the office the "majority" of the time, does that mean we can still work from home two days a week? What are you planning on doing? God, don't make me go back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:39 pm

How early after starting at JD can we start to contribute to our 401k? I'm starting mid-October and was hoping to contribute the max to my 401k in those 2.5 months. But I know most employers make you wait a few months before allowing you to contribute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:07 pm

I started in November and couldn’t start contributing until January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:07 pm
I started in November and couldn’t start contributing until January.
Ah--that's a bummer. Thanks for confirming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:42 pm

So, not to hijack this thread, but do we have any sense or guess as to how much a mid-level assoc at JD (say class years 2015-2017) would be getting paid all in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:42 pm
So, not to hijack this thread, but do we have any sense or guess as to how much a mid-level assoc at JD (say class years 2015-2017) would be getting paid all in?
There's enormous variability based on practice group, hours, reviews, and law school credentials (and not necessarily in that order). Jones Day pays who it needs to pay and cuts where it knows it can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 pm

First years raised to 225k? Can anyone confirm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 pm
First years raised to 225k? Can anyone confirm
It's listed on their website. at the very least. Payday for them is the 31 based on a friend who's there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:42 pm
There's enormous variability based on practice group, hours, reviews, and law school credentials (and not necessarily in that order). Jones Day pays who it needs to pay and cuts where it knows it can.
I know of a major-market BATL Class of 2015 at 450

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:34 pm

Got paid yesterday. Doesn't appear that they're raising pay for current NLGs. That is...frustrating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm

Is anyone else frustrated that SAs were seemingly bumped to $225K but current NLGs haven’t heard anything about a raise. Any idea if or when we’ll get bumped?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm
Is anyone else frustrated that SAs were seemingly bumped to $225K but current NLGs haven’t heard anything about a raise. Any idea if or when we’ll get bumped?
We're not getting bumped, and I'm pissed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm
We're not getting bumped, and I'm pissed.
Didn't everyone know that JD pulls these kind of shenanigans before accepting an offer? I don't see how this is a surprise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”