Just Started New Job, but Having regrets.. Input Needed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Just Started New Job, but Having regrets.. Input Needed

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Need some advice, I recently just left my firm (Boutique small firm), last month to work at a Gov't State Agency, in the field I practice in, its a very niche field (everyone knows everybody) and has political appointments in the agency. In my current role i negotiate labor contracts with cities and such. I also work from home 2-3 days a week or so and my workload is not hard at all.

I'm a 2017 grad, Tier 1/2 School and currently make $95k with $5-6k increases each year with the Government, PTO is great and Pension. I just feel like the work is not fulfilling, I felt like private practice was exciting and just feel kind of bored now. I feel like I should of stayed in private practice, but the pay for this job was too good to say NO to and the PTO as well.

Should I stick it out for a year or so, so it looks good on my resume or just keep looking in the meantime for a mid-size firm, can't do biglaw due to poor grades...? Or did I hit the lottery and I shouldn't be complaining?

Please provide any input, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Just Started New Job, but Having regrets.. Input Needed

Post by misterjames » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Actually, it sounds like you're in an optimal position to move if you want. You're in a fairly easy gig getting important government experience in your field, further enhancing your credentials and making you an attractive candidate for the next role. I'd say, given that your only complaint is a bit of boredom, you can take as much time as you need to find a "perfect" dream job while you're where you are currently. If I was in your shoes I'd start keeping an eye out for select positions and focus on those. You're in a good position to be picky.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice, I recently just left my firm (Boutique small firm), last month to work at a Gov't State Agency, in the field I practice in, its a very niche field (everyone knows everybody) and has political appointments in the agency. In my current role i negotiate labor contracts with cities and such. I also work from home 2-3 days a week or so and my workload is not hard at all.

I'm a 2017 grad, Tier 1/2 School and currently make $95k with $5-6k increases each year with the Government, PTO is great and Pension. I just feel like the work is not fulfilling, I felt like private practice was exciting and just feel kind of bored now. I feel like I should of stayed in private practice, but the pay for this job was too good to say NO to and the PTO as well.

Should I stick it out for a year or so, so it looks good on my resume or just keep looking in the meantime for a mid-size firm, can't do biglaw due to poor grades...? Or did I hit the lottery and I shouldn't be complaining?

Please provide any input, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
I would stay. You will be making $100k in a year. Who knows, you could maybe even transfer within the agency. Or go to big federal government. You need to focus on the salary and PTO and having a good life. It sounds like you make more now. Also, you could possibly do big law, but honestly if you make six figures (or close to) and don't need the money to pay off six figures in debt, why leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:32 pm

I do have six-figure debt and currently on PSLF with this new role. I guess I would leave to be able to make more money at a firm in the near future and or try to make partner at a mid-size firm.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:14 pm

sparty99 wrote:
I would stay. You will be making $100k in a year. Who knows, you could maybe even transfer within the agency. Or go to big federal government. You need to focus on the salary and PTO and having a good life. It sounds like you make more now. Also, you could possibly do big law, but honestly if you make six figures (or close to) and don't need the money to pay off six figures in debt, why leave?
I'd imagine that part of this for OP is not being bored out of his/her mind at work, even if it is just for a 9-5 gov't gig.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”