Australian Barrister moving to NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AussieJoe

New

Australian Barrister moving to NYC

Post by AussieJoe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm

TLS,

Been reading this forum for a while. Am grateful for any advice and comment.

Wife and I are looking to move to NYC. Am trying to gauge how to lateral into BigLaw litigation.

I am an Australian Barrister, in practice for 9 years, exclusively in commercial litigation. I've done many trials and appeals, either solo or with a leader. Appeared in all Australian courts, from High Court down. Appeared in most Australian state courts. Have done many class actions in the Federal Court.

Before the Bar, clerked for a State Court of Appeal judge.

I am aiming to do the NYC Bar exam mid next year.

Specific questions (I've also read the recent thread about the NZ lawyer looking to move with interest) -

1) If I land a job, how is my 9 years advocacy/litigation experience going to be valued?
2) Am I likely to quickly get advocacy/trial gigs?

Understand this is all firm specific.

Also, are the top boutique lit shops/top big law lit shops likely to look at my application/experience favourably?

Cheers!

AussieJoe

New

Re: Australian Barrister moving to NYC

Post by AussieJoe » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Any Aussie litigators in NYC??

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”