When did you realize you're not cut out for this? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
glitched

Silver

When did you realize you're not cut out for this?

Post by glitched » Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

I'm in my fifth year now as an IP litigator. I've gotten lots of substantive work corresponding to each class year, ie doc review to writing briefs to taking depositions to managing cases/juniors. I've only had very positive reviews, but I'm starting to really see my future, and I just don't feel cut out for the next steps. To put it simply, I get stage fright. I stumble with words and my brain fogs when on the spot. I can't imagine what it's like being in front of a judge. I considered taking improv classes but I don't have any time for it. I never did moot court or debate in my past life (was a science major working behind a lab desk all of college). The stress of thinking about the next steps of my career keeps me up at night. I'd like to go in house, but those positions are ultra rare, especially in secondary markets. Anyone else feel this way and power through?

Anonymous User

Re: When did you realize you're not cut out for this?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2019 11:39 am

Not sure how small your secondary market is, but in house patent positions are not really "ultra rare"... I found several in a secondary market, got a few interviews within a few months of starting to search, and had less experience then you at the time.. yes, they are usually more focused on portfolio management or prosecution, but it shouldnt be that hard to spin your (presumably patent) lit experience into a more general ability to evaluate new ideas for patentability, or to evaluate patent claims of competitors for FTO purposes, etc... Likewise, it shouldnt be that hard to make the jump to patent prosecution, and I know some firms value litigation experience for prosecution precisely because going through litigation shines a totally different light on how patents will be picked apart during attempted enforcement. So that is another option if you dont think you can continue in litigation.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: When did you realize you're not cut out for this?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:13 pm

glitched wrote:I'm in my fifth year now as an IP litigator. I've gotten lots of substantive work corresponding to each class year, ie doc review to writing briefs to taking depositions to managing cases/juniors. I've only had very positive reviews, but I'm starting to really see my future, and I just don't feel cut out for the next steps. To put it simply, I get stage fright. I stumble with words and my brain fogs when on the spot. I can't imagine what it's like being in front of a judge. I considered taking improv classes but I don't have any time for it. I never did moot court or debate in my past life (was a science major working behind a lab desk all of college). The stress of thinking about the next steps of my career keeps me up at night. I'd like to go in house, but those positions are ultra rare, especially in secondary markets. Anyone else feel this way and power through?

Honestly, most lawyers I've come across kind of suck on their feet. Just spend a day in state court. I'm not sure what your practice is like, but the IP Litigators don't go to trial at my firm. And if they do, they'll bring in a real trial attorney to first chair. If you can handle taking depositions, then you should be able to fake everything else. Just my two cents.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”