Is it usually busy after M&A signing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it usually busy after M&A signing?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 am

Hello. I thought about posting this in a different forum, but there didn't seem to be any activity there, so posting here. I think I might have worked myself into a bit of a pickle and just wanted to get some thoughts.

I am planning on taking a long weekend off (Thursday and Friday off) in the first week of June and haven't been able to tell the partner I am working with yet. I am on an M&A transaction with this partner, and we are expecting to sign the week prior to the week I'm trying to take off (signing last week of May) with closing expected to happen later in the summer. I'm bucking up the nerve to ask the partner for the days off (I was going to ask last week, got flooded with work, and ended up annoying the partner a little and was waiting for him to cool down a little), but just to manage my own expectations, are things usually busy right after signing (our client is is very adamant about signing that week, so barring some extraordinary event, I think we will be signing then)?? Or is it a really busy time and would I look like a complete shit/slacker associate?? Sorry if this was a dumb question, but just trying to get some perspective. Thank you.

jjjetplane

New

Re: Is it usually busy after M&A signing?

Post by jjjetplane » Fri May 17, 2019 3:18 am

Speak with your partner ASAP. open with your plan to take time off and then ask if it’ll be an issue. Offer to make yourself available remotely if you’re actually worried. I know it’s hard as a junior associate but you need to learn to set expectations for your team and communicate.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 am

Presumably just signing, rather than simultaneous sign and close? If so, then depending on what the closing timeline looks like, business after signing will depend. Some people will want to keep sprinting as much as possible, others are okay with a couple days of sketching out the time until close. Depends on how demanding your client is generally, how important of a deal this is to the client, and same for the partner.

Definitely let your partner know. Just let them know that you're aware of the signing date and you're planning on just taking a couple days off the week after, how they foresee the timeline until close, and let them know you'll be able to check in remotely if you're needed. Is there anyone else staffed on the team, like a senior or mid-level? You should talk to them too. Could you also arrange for a fellow junior to cover you for that weekend? You could always offer that up to the partner if you find someone willing to step up and help you out for that weekend.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am

Deals very frequently get delayed, in which case signing could happen right as you are leaving for vacation...

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri May 17, 2019 11:58 am

It's all well and good that your client is adamant about signing on a certain date, but unless both sides are really set on that timeline, the signing could easily get pushed. Even when both sides are pushing for a certain signing date things still often get delayed. The signing could easily get pushed to right before you leave, the days that you're supposed to be out (worst case scenario) or after you're already back. So, I would let the partner know your vacation plans and that you are available remotely if needed (and MAKE SURE you are actually available remotely and will have strong wifi).

I would also have a plan you can share with the partner, like "I've already collected all of the necessary signature pages, I'll continue to monitor and update the closing checklist and circulate it to our team and flag the outstanding items, etc."

Usually the only big tasks right after signing are for junior associates, but they don't take very long. Some clients want some kind of summary of certain terms or short task lists, and usually you'll also have to compile all of the documents in execution version with executed sig pages. You could try to start preparing execution versions of any documents that are already finalized.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had an M&A deal close the date targeted.

That being said, it should be fine to take off after signing. That’s usually the big push and you’re not taking a lot of time. A more senior attorney will easily be able to hold down the fort without a junior.

Ask if you can get started on ancillaries (closing certs, etc) before you leave.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue May 21, 2019 4:06 pm

If there's nothing tangible planned, try to take the time and don't hesitate or feel bad about it. Especially if it's only a couple of days. I think one of the biggest things big law associates (myself included) need to do more often is be our own advocates when it comes to having a healthier balance in our lifestyle, and it starts with not being afraid to at least have these kinds of open conversations casually. It should be the norm - not a big deal at all.

If you are on good terms and have done good work, just go for it matter-of-factly: "Hey, I'm planning on being out-of-office on X & Y days in a couple of weeks. I'll have all my other work and deadlines in order, but do you foresee there being any particular issue for you with me being out-of-pocket those days?" Assuming they don't really care, then just remind them again in the week/days leading up.

I mean, they may always say no - but hopefully if they do it is for an actually good reason (ITS FREAKING JUST A LONG WEEKEND). Otherwise there may be larger problems that mean you should re-consider the partners you work with or the firm you're at entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”