Need some advice!! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need some advice!!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I was let go a few months ago (2.5). I’m still on my firm’s website. I just received an offer and haven’t told the firm I’ve been unemployed for the past 2.5 months. I’m assuming a basic background check will reveal that my actual end date was at the end of February. Should I be proactive about this and be honest? Is there a chance that the background check will not reveal that I’m not unemployed because I’m still on the firm’s site?

Ohnt

New

Re: Need some advice!!

Post by Ohnt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 am

Honesty is always foolproof. Please let us know what happened! We are rooting for you.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 am

They usually dont check your current employer. I would say nothing.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Ohnt wrote:Honesty is always foolproof. Please let us know what happened! We are rooting for you.
Unless OP has lied to their new/prospective employer about their current employment status, I would recommend simply sitting tight and saying nothing. If the background check reveals that OP's unemployed and the firm asks OP, OP should of course be honest about having been let go ("yes, I was let go in February/March"). But again, unless OP lied about their employment status during the interview process, I don't think OP has any duty to proactively reach out and tell the firm, "hey, guys, I was let go in February/March - thought you ought to know!"

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Agree with last post 100%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was let go a few months ago (2.5). I’m still on my firm’s website. I just received an offer and haven’t told the firm I’ve been unemployed for the past 2.5 months. I’m assuming a basic background check will reveal that my actual end date was at the end of February. Should I be proactive about this and be honest? Is there a chance that the background check will not reveal that I’m not unemployed because I’m still on the firm’s site?
I was at a (tech) firm and briefly had to deal with background check firms calling my company about our former employees. They checked title & end date of employment, as provided to them. Sometimes they only got years, so I would be asked "Did XXX work at YYY until 2019?" I wouldn't lose sleep about it. We were pretty large and never once got a call about a current employee, so I doubt they will call your old firm if they think you are working there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”