What to bring day one to summer associate gig? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to bring day one to summer associate gig?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 am

Do I need a briefcase? Backpack? Should I bring my own laptop? No laptop? A pen and pad? Are they going to supply me with everything I'll need for that first day? Should I just walk in with my suit, tie, and positive attitude?

Sorry, I just sincerely have no clue what to "do."

rokiv

New

Re: What to bring day one to summer associate gig?

Post by rokiv » Wed May 08, 2019 8:11 am

Don’t overthink it too much! Has recruiting sent you a note about your first day? If there is anything they expect you to bring they will let you know.

That said, if this is Vault biglaw it’s almost certain they’ll have a laptop for you to use. The only things I’d consider bringing other than a suit and positive attitude (to use your terms) is a decent bag and pen/notepad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 am

rokiv wrote:Don’t overthink it too much! Has recruiting sent you a note about your first day? If there is anything they expect you to bring they will let you know.

That said, if this is Vault biglaw it’s almost certain they’ll have a laptop for you to use. The only things I’d consider bringing other than a suit and positive attitude (to use your terms) is a decent bag and pen/notepad.
It's a top firm in NY. Recruiting has had little to say other than that the office attire is business casual. I know I'll wear a suit on the first day, regardless. Specific guidance is more helpful to me, as I've never been in this sort of environment before except for callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rokiv wrote:Don’t overthink it too much! Has recruiting sent you a note about your first day? If there is anything they expect you to bring they will let you know.

It's a top firm in NY. Recruiting has had little to say other than that the office attire is business casual. I know I'll wear a suit on the first day, regardless. Specific guidance is more helpful to me, as I've never been in this sort of environment before except for callbacks.
Having done a 1L and 2L summer and now an junior associate that remembers those first days pretty well:

You won’t actually need basically anything at all, because everything is going to be provided. Your first couple of days will he trainings and orientation, where they give you your laptop and iPhone, teach you how to use the doc management system, billing software, etc. etc. You may not even go to your assigned office for the first few days as they try and pack your schedule for the first week full of talks and trainings and Q&As (although usually people scope it out during breaks).

So, I would bring a briefcase/satchel/professional-ish backpack with a couple pens, a notepad, chargers/power block, personal medications, snacks if you have dietary preferences - although you are about to be fed more than you have ever been fed before... basically, anything that you would take with you to campus if you knew you had a full day of classes and wouldn’t necessarily be able to go home during it.

Good move on the suit - no matter what the recruiter says, everyone will be wearing one.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed May 08, 2019 11:24 am

Definitely bring some kind of bag (briefcase, ideally--doesn't have to be fancy) because you will probably get a bunch of firm swag on day 1. But...then again you might also get a firm briefcase, so maybe keep the receipt if you're going out to buy a briefcase.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Probably need a passport or driver's license and social security card for your I-9

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2019 9:29 am

I have a question here: I got a note from recruiting that specifically said "Remember the dress code is business casual, so a suit is not necessary on the first day."

I was originally planning to wear a suit/tie, of course. But now I am reconsidering. I was thinking I will wear a suit with no tie (and bring a tie with me). Thoughts?

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question here: I got a note from recruiting that specifically said "Remember the dress code is business casual, so a suit is not necessary on the first day."

I was originally planning to wear a suit/tie, of course. But now I am reconsidering. I was thinking I will wear a suit with no tie (and bring a tie with me). Thoughts?
I definitely think suit, no tie is wholly appropriate.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Thu May 09, 2019 10:25 am

If they emailed to specifically say a suit isn't necessary, then it's not necessary. The suit no tie suggestion is correct. If you are really worried, bring a tie. I would have a tie and jacket at the office anyway in case you get invited to an event at a place that requires it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2019 11:36 am

Beyond the dress code, remember that while your summer is ostensibly styled as the firm evaluating you, it is really your only opportunity to evaluate the firm. Make sure you figure out the groups/partners that seem like hell and those that don't. Focus less on specific relationships with associates (while important, there's no guarantee they'll be there when you get back), and more on how associates generally look, how the partners interact, etc.

I was able to suss out during my summer that one group, despite its attempts to show off how fun it was, was an absolute sweatshop. Two other associates didn't and joined the group. They both left within 2 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”